Easter Sunday Tailgate party at Loudon Hunt Races

Author
Everythingbutwings
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
2004/04/08 08:52:24 (permalink)

Easter Sunday Tailgate party at Loudon Hunt Races

We've been invited to Oatlands Plantation in Leesburg, VA for a friend's annual tailgate celebration at the spring point-to-point races.

I'm in a dilemma over what to bring to share. Last year's bash was a glorious mish mash of grilled meats, salads, brownies, dips and we contributed my husband's popular mesquite smoked pork barbecue.

This year, since the races fall on Easter, I thought it would be nice to bring something a little different. There are usually about 30 people in our group.

I have tons of various cheeses in the freezer (brie, stilton, gorgonzola, marinated mozzarella, etc), as well as a boneless leg of lamb, a ham, a beef tenderloin, shrimp, scallops, Ahi Tuna steaks, and poultry. (I buy when things are on sale!)

I already know I want to bring a spring salad as well as a more substantial item. How about spinach and strawberries?

Any suggestions?

4 Replies Related Threads

i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Easter Sunday Tailgate party at Loudon Hunt Races 2004/04/08 09:07:42 (permalink)
    Everythingbutwings, if you're coming into Loudoun County on Route 15 that day, why don't you just stop at the newly-opened Market Salamander in Middleburg, Virginia (just six miles out of your way by travelling west on Route 50 at Gilbert's Corner). Middleburg's latest retail offering,(http://www.washingtonian.com/dining/whats_new/jul03.html) is a "takeout food and provisions shop" perfect for any point-to-point event.

The Market's chef (Todd Gray) was recently announced as a 2004 James Beard Foundation Award nominee, BTW.

Above all, don't commit the ultimate "horsey-set" faux pas by forgetting the cucumbers for the Pimms Cup. Egads!!
    i95
    RE: Easter Sunday Tailgate party at Loudon Hunt Races 2004/04/08 09:13:48 (permalink)
    Sorry! Forgot to give you the market's web site which is:

http://www.market-salamander.com/

Everythingbutwings
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Easter Sunday Tailgate party at Loudon Hunt Races 2004/04/08 09:17:20 (permalink)
    That's a great place but we'll be coming from Woodbridge and stopping to feed our own horses in Clifton on the way. How far up from the Safeway and cooking store is it? I noticed last time through Middleburg that the specialty grocer on the left as you enter town from DC has disappeared. :( We ended up going out to Epicurious Cow on 211 instead.

We do a sort of tailgating get together fairly frequently, going to Manassas Battlefield or Frying Pan Park in Herndon. A "bring your horse and a covered dish" affair. Usually, the cooler is stocked with crab mini quiches, veggies/dip, fresh fruit, barbecue, chicken or tuna salad (ahi tuna steaks grilled on mesquite makes a fabulous salad).

This time I don't get to make all the food, so I need to bring something tasty that can be served buffet style in the open air.

We'll have propane grills for cooking on the spot and shallow trays of ice to set cold foods platters on.
    i95
    RE: Easter Sunday Tailgate party at Loudon Hunt Races 2004/04/08 09:25:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Everythingbutwings

That's a great place but we'll be coming from Woodbridge and stopping to feed our own horses in Clifton on the way. How far up from the Safeway and cooking store is it?

Everythingbutwings, it's on the same side of the street but just past Safeway as you head west on Washington Street (Route 50). It's in the old antique guns dealer location and next to the former Magpie's now called Maxwell's. FYI.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1