Easter Sunrise Service

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13493
2003/04/19 14:41:55 (permalink)

Easter Sunrise Service

Directly across the street from me is almost an exact duplica of Tara. It sits on 16 acres of land high on a hill overlooking the city of Knoxville. No matter which way you look, you can see the Tennessee river as we live on a penisula. Then you look in the other direction and you can see the Smoky Mountains and Mt. LeConte. We have a neighborhood Easter Sunrise Service there each Easter and it is attended by no more than 200 people. I always take my binoculars and while I enjoy the music by the BagPipe group, other music by local neighbors, the message by the local minister and then I have the goodie table which is packed of neighborhood goodies that is beyound belief. Everything appears to be homemade. Great coffee's, rolls, breakfast stuff and particularly, my Tennessee bisquits which are brown, crispy, fluffy, light, tasty and if you don't mind me saying so, they are the best thing there as I also provide real butter, apple butter, strawberry freezer jam (ummmmmm and Florida orange marmalade.

Best religous event that I attend. Hope yours is as well.

Happy Easter from the Sundancer7 from East, TN

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

2 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15272
    RE: Easter Sunrise Service 2003/04/19 15:25:39 (permalink)
    It sounds like a nice way to start the day ! Easter has always been a very low-key holiday in our family, and now with the kids all out on their own, Janet is working a full shift at the hospital, so I will try to make Spring look better here. The in-laws are doing a couple of turkey's in their fryer so we will head over there in the evening for a pot-luck centered on fried bird. These folks know how to make a pot-luck something worth attending, kind of like the ladies efforts you described. Our contribution will be Angel Food Cake chunks mixed with strawberry jello and fresh strawberries...With some sweetened Whipped Cream folded in to make the whole thing one big gooey mess that looks like strawberry ripple ice cream...but tastes pretty darn good. Yep we are welcome as long as we bring a LARGE dessert!
    I love to share in these types of dinner's ...where the contributer's pride themselves in friendly competition for the most raves or extra-good results. Unfortuneately only a couple of the younger generation of couples make that kind of effort...Instead they pick up something at the Kroger Deli and let us pry the plastic lid off of it at the table. Lucky for us two of the daughter's in-law have caught the spirit of the event and have been making that extra effort to see that whatever they bring deserves our attention. Maybe we can get that attitude to spread to the rest of the tribe. The concept of 'Convenience Food' has gone too far when it invades this area !!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13493
    RE: Easter Sunrise Service 2003/04/20 11:29:17 (permalink)
    Just thought I would report on the Easter Sunrise event I attended this morning across the street.

Great Bagpipe group. Full dress kilts, etc. They certainly looked the part and of course, they played Amazing Grace.

Sun hit the top of the hill right on schedule and at 7:00AM, it was staring us in the face and warming all of us that had a slight chill.

There were two tables of local neighborhood food and one table of coffee, fruit juice and other liquids. I enjoyed my own crispy brown, fluffy, tasty bisquits, slihgtly slated local butter, and fresh freezer jam. Umm, oh so good! I also sneaked in some sausage balls and a slice of custard strawberry cake.

Enjoy this beautiful day. Unfortunately, I gotta drive to Indy

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1