Eastern Canada: Quebec -> Halifax -> Cabot Trail -> Bay of Fundy

Author
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 547
2011/09/22 01:04:10 (permalink)

Eastern Canada: Quebec -> Halifax -> Cabot Trail -> Bay of Fundy

Hi all. We're honeymooning in Eastern Canada starting in two weeks, and wanted to see in anyone knew of any Roadfoodish places along our route.

We're going from Quebec to Halifax in a day, so we'd ideally have lunch between Edmundston and Fredericton.

We're also going from Halifax to the Cabot Trail, so we'll have lunch somewhere up there.

Our last leg is Charlottetown to the Bay of Fundy and down to Saint John, so somewhere in the Bay area we'll have lunch.

We're staying in Quebec, Halifax, Antigonish, Charlottetown and Saint John. I have some pretty good ideas about where to go for dinner in those cities, but more advice is always appreciated.
post edited by Bonk - 2011/09/22 01:05:21

6 Replies Related Threads

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Eastern Canada: Quebec -> Halifax -> Cabot Trail -> Bay of Fundy 2011/09/22 10:24:37 (permalink)
    I am sorry I can't be of more help, but it has been a number of years since I was in the area.  However, at that time, on the southern shoreline of P.E.I., there was a small restaurant that specialized in serving delicious clam chowder along with fresh-caught lobsters from their own lobster pots.  They were the most fantastic lobsters that I have had in my entire life (I am 77), and I can still remember them years later.  I have no idea if the restaurant is still in business, but if it is, it is certainly worth seeking out.  Perhaps someone else can come up with some more information.
    umbada
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 56
    Re:Eastern Canada: Quebec -> Halifax -> Cabot Trail -> Bay of Fundy 2011/09/29 10:15:32 (permalink)
    In Halifax, Chickenburger is a must. Open since 1940, a chicken burger isn't what you think it is. It's not a slab of chicken breast on a bun. Rather it is chunks of moist real white and dark meat chicken on a steamed hamburger bun just like they served in the 40s. Also their fried fish and burgers are very good. Their shakes are rich and thick and made not only with real ice cream but with cream instead of milk. Visit http://thechickenburger.com

Also try a donair while in Halifax or anywhere in Nova Scotia. They are like gyros only with more highly spiced meat, lots of it, and a thick sweet and tangy sauce that is ladled on thickly. It is typically served with diced tomatoes and onions and all folded into a warmed pita bread. They're filling and messy.

The fish n chip trucks in downtown Halifax are also good.

Hot dogs in Nova Scotia are mediocre at best. So is pizza, with the exceptions being Salvatore's and Morris East which both serve different styles of pies. Salvatores is more authentic New York with character. Morris East is more like a neat, refined artisan pizza. Salvatores also has great hot subs. During the lunch hour you can get slices at Salvatores. They heat them up in the oven.

Visit the farmers market in Halifax for a selection of roadfood stands. They're all good. http://halifaxfarmersmarket.com/vendor-listing/

That oughta keep you busy and full! But there are many other places. If you want to get overwhelmed, explore this listing: http://www.thecoast.ca/ha...76&sortType=rating

mollydingle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 221
    Re:Eastern Canada: Quebec -> Halifax -> Cabot Trail -> Bay of Fundy 2011/10/05 19:57:15 (permalink)
     I would add that Irving stations across eastern Canada have clean restrooms, a wide variety of snacks and some have sit down cafes. We've had good burgers, chowders and fish n' chips. We ate at an excellent reaturant in Pleasant Bay some years ago, but I'm not sure if it's still there. It was part of a small motel and had great seafood and homemade potato chips (back before that was trendy).
    mollydingle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 221
    Re:Eastern Canada: Quebec -> Halifax -> Cabot Trail -> Bay of Fundy 2011/10/05 19:58:10 (permalink)
    Also, the Ould Triangle and The Split Crow in Halifax were great pubs.
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 903
    Re:Eastern Canada: Quebec -> Halifax -> Cabot Trail -> Bay of Fundy 2011/10/05 20:15:30 (permalink)
    Bonk, we really enjoyed the Red Shoe Pub in Mabou, Cape Breton several years ago.  The seafood chowder was outstanding, and the fish & chips were even better.  I'm glad you posted here about the Maritimes, because we had trouble finding worthy food stops in our online research.  I think Canadian restaurants don't have the web presence that their American counterparts do, so you'll have to dig deep!    Chris
    Bonk
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re:Eastern Canada: Quebec -> Halifax -> Cabot Trail -> Bay of Fundy 2011/11/10 22:36:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately we left on Sept. 27, so I didn't see them until just now.

Umbada - We did hit the market I had some kind of Jamaican egg roll that was really good. Cathy (the new wife) had a Chinese chicken and rice thing that she didn't like, but I thought it was at least passable.

I did try the donair at "The King of Donair" at 2 a.m. one night. They used a tortilla instead of pita bread, but it was quite good. The sauce was definitely different that the dill sauce I'm used to -- sweeter, like you said -- but it worked well. And it was very messy.

We hit Maxwell's Plum for dinner the first night we were in Halifax because of the $7 14 oz. sirloin deal. Not the best sirloin I've ever had but for $7 it was a great deal.

The second (and last) night we were there we went to Fireside, which was a nicer restaurant with a really homey feel, down to the fireplace. I loved it. The scallops were the best I've ever had -- they tasted like steak. Even Cathy, who never eats seafood, thought they were excellent.

Like Ayersian pointed out, it requires more digging to find stuff on Canadian restaurants, so it wasn't quite the Roadfood experience we'd hoped for, but we still found some good spots.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1