Easthampton, Massachusetts ... A Report from the Field

Author
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4611
2011/09/30 07:48:32 (permalink)

Easthampton, Massachusetts ... A Report from the Field

The other day I happened upon a delightful find.

In Easthampton, MA ... just down the road from restaurant-rich NORTHampton ... in restaurant-poor EASThampton.

THE EAST VILLAGE ... A funk-ily decorated cafe ... on the main street ... featuring sandwiches, smoothies, soups ... raw foods ... earth-food kind of. 

I know, the menu sounds like the menus at countless other well-appointed cafes.  What sets them apart is the fact that the food on the menu is superb.  Fastidiously prepared.  I was reminded of my LA favorite, John O'Groats where I remember thinking how the food is so well-done, why can't every restaurant do this.

The East Village  also reminds me of a cross between two of my favorites ... The Trillium in Hood River, Oregon (setting and friendliness) and Croce's in San Diego (food).

My one or two lunches have been affordable, well made and satisfying.

They do dinner and Saturday and Sunday breakfasts ... certainly on my "To Do" list. 

- Gregg

5 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Easthampton, Massachusetts ... A Report from the Field 2011/10/14 09:27:03 (permalink)
    I found out the hard way:
    Closed: Monday & Tuesdays.
    Breakfast:  Saturday & Sunday
    Lunch:  Wednesday through Sunday
    Dinner:  Wednesday through Saturday
    Closed: 2PM - 5PM
    To coin a phrase:  "Always call ahead."
    sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Easthampton, Massachusetts ... A Report from the Field 2011/10/14 21:28:14 (permalink)
    I remember going through Easthampton a number of times.
    it was just a nice small town nestled in the mountains that everybody forgot .
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Easthampton, Massachusetts ... A Report from the Field 2011/10/15 08:10:02 (permalink)
    sk bob

I remember going through Easthampton a number of times.
    it was just a nice small town nestled in the mountains that everybody forgot .

Funny you should say that.
    EASThampton's slogan might be "Near Northampton ... yet, so far" ... or, "At least we're not Westfield"
    Easthampton's day will come ... this place could jump-start it, but sadly it needs more oomph.

In the last few weeks, another new restaurant has opened and a craft beer store. 
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Easthampton, Massachusetts ... A Report from the Field 2011/12/15 20:29:28 (permalink)
    Sadly, we must now count this one "out" ... they closed last week.
    I know we had another thread about owners blaming the economy ... in this case, I think it was, in part. 
    I (me) ... I am vouching for the food ... I can't vouch for the location ... sadly, Easthampton wasn't ready to support good, quality food.
    I guess the economy wasn't right (especially there).
    tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1986
    Re:Easthampton, Massachusetts ... A Report from the Field 2012/09/16 16:38:39 (permalink)
    We just tried Tavern On The Hill www.tavernonline.com  at the Holyoke line on Mt Tom. We got great window seats for a wonderful view for a Saturday lunch. Once color season starts, it will not be so easy. Nobody was using the outside deck as it was too windy. The food is good and fairly priced. We will return.

On the way home we stopped at the locally famous Howard's Drive In in West Brookfield on Rt 9. It is the first time this season that I've been able to get a parking space. The fried whole belly clam/haddock combo at 14.95 was big enough for 2, considering we had eaten at the Tavern just a few hours earlier.
    post edited by tmiles - 2012/09/16 16:53:13
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1