Easy chicken

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2005/11/22 23:44:14 (permalink)

Easy chicken

I just remembered one of my "early" recipes for a "special" meal. My friend Alice told me to open a can of apricots and pour it, syrup and all, over chicken and bake it. That's it. (Actually for a "special date" she suggested cornish hens). Anyway, I tried it and loved it (so did my date....)

Who else has an "easy" chicken idea?

21 Replies Related Threads

tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: Easy chicken 2005/11/23 00:26:59 (permalink)
    I think it was in Marcella Hazan's second cookbook of classic Italian cooking (which, by the way, was great, as is everything she does)...an incredibly simple recipe for lemon chicken, roasted in the oven. The only thing you do is insert an entire lemon, with the rind intact, into the cavity, and rub the outside of the bird with salt and pepper...that is it. You will not believe how juicy a chicken this makes, nor how tasty those pan juices are.

If I recall, Marcella said to simply wash off any dirt, etc. from the outside of the lemon, and just poke holes in the lemon with the tines of a fork. I have toyed with this recipe in various ways, by adding two lemons, cutting off the ends so that some of the flesh of the lemon is exposed, adding rosemary, sage, etc. All versions tasted great. You really cannot mess this up.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Easy chicken 2005/11/23 01:32:45 (permalink)
    A favorite of mine and very easy was called "Chicken California" by the newspaper that published the recipe years ago:

Dredge 4-6 boneless/skinless chicken breasts, pounded a bit to tenderize, with flour to which has been added a bit of freshly ground pepper and a tsp or 2 of paprika. Saute' in butter or margarine over medium heat. When lightly browned and cooked through, remove from pan and keep warm. Deglaze chicken pan with 1/2 cup dry white wine and then add 1 cup heavy whipping cream. Cook wine/cream mixture until it begins to thicken. Add 1 can small or medium black olives and 1 can quartered artichoke hearts. Continue to cook until artichokes and olives are warm and liquid reaches a thick "sauce" consistency. Pour sauce with olives and artichokes over cooked chicken breasts.

I serve this with new potatoes sauteed in butter.

Another favorite is a crockpot recipe:

Line bottom of crock pot with dried chipped beef. Wrap each of 4-6 boneless/skinless chicken breast halves with one strip of bacon--place in a single layer in pot on top of beef. Separately, combine well 1 can of condensed mushroom soup and an equal amount of sour cream (I scoop it into the soup can to get the right amount) with 3 tbsp flour. Pour this mixture over the chicken and cook on low for 8-10 hours. When it's done, I usually take the bacon wrapped chicken out and stir up the remaining sauce, which will then be full of bits of the chipped beef, then I pour the sauce back over the chicken. I like serving this with brown rice.
    linus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Easy chicken 2005/11/23 08:09:17 (permalink)
    I marinate my chicken overnight in a simple mix of vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, chopped onion and garlic and ginger.
    no real recipe, you make it as sweet, or sour, as you prefer.
    next day, drain the chicken and fry in a little oil, brush with additional brown sugar and soy sauce at the end of cooking time, right when the chicken is cooked through.
    serve with fried rice and broccoli.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Easy chicken 2005/11/23 18:44:10 (permalink)
    My gawd...these easy recipes are getting complicated. I like:

1. Take pouch.
    2. Put in microwave.
    3. Cook
    4. Open pouch.
    5. Put in dish.
    6. Eat.

PS: My daughter invented a wonderful dish when she was 8 years old. She submitted it to a recipe contest. (Did not win, tho).

Here is her secret recipe:

VEGGIE SPICE

1. Take vegetables.
    2. Add spice.
    3. Veggie Spice!!!!

Voila!

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Easy chicken 2005/11/24 14:25:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

1. Take pouch.
    2. Put in microwave.
    3. Cook
    4. Open pouch.
    5. Put in dish.
    6. Eat.

PS: My daughter invented a wonderful dish when she was 8 years old. She submitted it to a recipe contest. (Did not win, tho).

Here is her secret recipe:

VEGGIE SPICE

1. Take vegetables.
    2. Add spice.
    3. Veggie Spice!!!!

Voila!

My favorite is Hungry Man in a box... Though it takes about 4 or 5 minutes in the nuclear device, it works for me! Deli at my local food store sells pretty decent fried bird, but if you dont get it within 10 or so minutes of cooking ya might as well head for KFC... (They have better heat lamps).. 'bout as easy as it gets... Other then questioning the deli clerk on how long the chickens been out of the fat..

At home, I normally buy chicken thighs (Cheap).. Roll them in Italian bread crumbs, sprinkle some sage, poultry seasoning, pepper, paprika and parmesian chez on top.. Let it bake 45 minutes at 350 and makes one tasty meal! That and some mashed spuds on the side w/gravy...

HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: Easy chicken 2005/11/28 17:02:09 (permalink)
    I was looking for an easy chicken recipe recently and came across this one from Kraft. It's not the healthiest, full of sodium, but it sure was good. I'd make it again.

Crisp and Creamy Baked Chicken

Prep Time: 10 min
    Total Time: 40 min
    Makes: 4 servings

4 small boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 lb.)
    6 Tbsp. (1/2 of 1 pouch) SHAKE 'N BAKE Extra Crispy Seasoned Coating Mix
    2/3 cup (1/2 of 10-3/4-oz. can) condensed cream of celery soup
    1/4 cup milk
    1 cup KRAFT Shredded Cheddar & Monterey Jack Cheese
    2-2/3 cups hot cooked MINUTE White Rice

PREHEAT oven to 400°F. Coat chicken with coating mix; place in single layer in greased 13x9-inch baking dish.
    BAKE 25 min. or until chicken is cooked through (170°F). Beat soup and milk with wire whisk until well blended. Pour evenly over chicken; sprinkle with cheese.
    BAKE an additional 5 min. or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly. Serve with the rice.

BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Easy chicken 2005/11/28 17:44:39 (permalink)
    When I first started cooking, years ago, I would chop some onion and start it frying with butter in a large skillet, add cut up chicken, and let it brown, and add a can of cream of mushroom soup. You can thin it with water, wine whatever. 3 ingredients and always tastes good. The gravy is good over mashed potatoes, too. This is real comfort food. Oh, cook over low for another 30 minutes or so. Longer wouldnt hurt, it would make it fall off the bone, which is not a bad thing.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Easy chicken 2005/11/29 19:42:15 (permalink)
    So cute, the Shake n Bake recipe. I call it Shaybe n Bayke, my Sunthin' impression.....

I used to work in Market Research for General Foods in the early 1980's! Didja know that Shake n Bake and Good Seasons Salad dressing is almost the same product? They used to make a lot of things sort of by the batch and then alter just a few ingredients (we used to wonder about the dog food department...) I have samples of Shake n Bake from over 20 years ago - I probably still could use it in the recipe, no?
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7281
    RE: Easy chicken 2005/11/30 13:07:30 (permalink)
    This is very easy and good. Take a whole chicken, put it breast-side down on a cutting board. Make in incision down the backbone and bone the chicken completely except for the legs. Make a roasted chicken stock with the bones. Stuff the chicken with cooked spinach, prosciutto and Fontina cheese. Truss and roast. Thicken the roasted chicken stock with roux, adding a few morels or other wild mushrooms. Carve the chicken at the table.......easy because it's boneless.......serve with the wild mushroom sauce.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: Easy chicken 2005/11/30 19:27:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

This is very easy and good. Take a whole chicken, put it breast-side down on a cutting board. Make in incision down the backbone and bone the chicken completely except for the legs. Make a roasted chicken stock with the bones. Stuff the chicken with cooked spinach, prosciutto and Fontina cheese. Truss and roast. Thicken the roasted chicken stock with roux, adding a few morels or other wild mushrooms. Carve the chicken at the table.......easy because it's boneless.......serve with the wild mushroom sauce.

Gee Lleechef, you make it sound so simple. Sounds good except the deboning the chicken. I would probably screw that up real good.

Paul E. smith
    knoxville, TN
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Easy chicken 2005/11/30 19:40:39 (permalink)
    Here's one I like to make:

SHERRIED CHICKEN –serves 4 or more

2 frying chickens (2 1/ 2 pounds each), halved
    1/ 2 cup butter, softened
    1 tsp. salt
    1/ 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    1 onion, minced
    1/ 2 cup dry sherry
    1/ 4 cup honey

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the butter on the chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange the chicken in one layer in a roasting pan. Add the onion, cover, and bake for 45 minutes to an hour.

Combine the sherry and honey in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Pour the sauce over the chicken and bake for 15 minutes more, uncovered, or until the chicken is tender. Serve with pan juices.
    HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: Easy chicken 2005/12/01 12:43:30 (permalink)
    I just received this one today.

BAKED & STUFFED CHICKEN (WORKS WELL WITH TURKEY, ALSO)

When I found this recipe, I thought it was perfect for people, like me, who are not sure how to tell when poultry is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out.....and it's a new idea for those of you who are Gourmet cooks.

BAKED & STUFFED CHICKEN
    6-7 lb. chicken
    1 cup melted butter
    1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is good.)
    1 cup uncooked popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT)
    Salt/pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Brush chicken well with melted butter, salt, and pepper.

Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn.

Place in baking pan with the neck end toward the back of the oven.
    Listen for the popping sounds.

When the chicken's *#$ blows the oven door open and the chicken flies across the room, it's done.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Easy chicken 2005/12/01 13:08:19 (permalink)
    We like to make what we call Catalina Chicken.

Combine 1 bottle Catalina salad dressing with 1 envelope of onion soup mix and 1/2 jar apricot preserves and about 1/2 cup water. Pour over boneless chicken breasts and bake at 375 until done.

Serve over rice
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Easy chicken 2005/12/01 17:32:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:

Gee Lleechef, you make it sound so simple. Sounds good except the deboning the chicken. I would probably screw that up real good.

Paul E. smith
    knoxville, TN

I thought this was supposed to be easy.. deboning doesnt sound easy to me.....
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Easy chicken 2005/12/03 00:39:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

quote:

Paul E. smith
    knoxville, TN

Boning any poultry or roast is very easy. Take a small, very sharp knife and follow along the bones, scraping the meat away (in the wing and thigh sections). The breast bone structure in poultry pulls away on it's own. For a lamb leg or shoulder, follow the bones down to the joint of the shank and stuff and roast. Jacques Pepin can do a chicken in 30 seconds. Takes me about 2 minutes. So what if it takes you 15 or 20 minutes??? You have an elegant yet simple entree.

If you are looking for really easy chicken with no cooking involved, grocery store rotisserie.
    alb
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Easy chicken 2006/01/07 22:58:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

1. Take pouch.
    2. Put in microwave.
    3. Cook
    4. Open pouch.
    5. Put in dish.
    6. Eat.

You want easy? Here's my "go-to" chicken recipe for busy days:

1.Throw a whole frozen chicken in the slow cooker.
    2.Add some 'taters on top (or not)
    3.Turn it on and let it cook all day.

Oh, yum! No water or spices needed, it just tastes great stewed in its own juices.
    roadchef
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Easy chicken 2006/01/11 19:18:44 (permalink)
    Made this from leftovers and it was amazing! Just take chicken breast, slice it down the middle and stuff the inside with roasted red peppers and goat cheese (you can add prochiutto, too, for extra flavor). Bake 350 for 35 minutes until done. Even better reheated the next day!
    jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Easy chicken 2006/01/11 20:15:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by emsmom

We like to make what we call Catalina Chicken.

Combine 1 bottle Catalina salad dressing with 1 envelope of onion soup mix and 1/2 jar apricot preserves and about 1/2 cup water. Pour over boneless chicken breasts and bake at 375 until done.

Serve over rice

I make one very similar - 1/2 cup french dressing, 1 envelope onion soup mix and 1 can whole-berry cranberry sauce. The first time I saw the recipe I couldn't imagine those 3 things going together, but they do, and they form a terrific, sweet and sour type taste that's not what you'd expect. My kids love it.
    redtressed
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Easy chicken 2006/01/13 16:25:17 (permalink)
    This is very simple dish given to me by a Filipino opthalmologist I used to work with. I'm not usually a stewed chicken kind of person , but this is darn simple and good.

Rey's version of:

Chicken Adobo

1 package pick of the chick or 1 stewing chicken cut up.
    4 Tablespoons peanut oil
    1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil(optional)
    5 garlic cloves minced
    1 cup water
    1 cup white vinegar or 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1 dried cayenne pepper, whole(optional)

Saute chicken pieces in peanut oil and sesame oil until browned to satisfaction. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer and continue simmering on low heat for an hour. Add water if neccesary. Remove cayenne pepper. Serve over hot rice.

Simple eh? and mmmmmmmmmmmm tasty
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Easy chicken 2006/01/13 19:50:18 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

quote:

Paul E. smith
    knoxville, TN

Boning any poultry or roast is very easy. Take a small, very sharp knife and follow along the bones, scraping the meat away (in the wing and thigh sections). The breast bone structure in poultry pulls away on it's own. For a lamb leg or shoulder, follow the bones down to the joint of the shank and stuff and roast. Jacques Pepin can do a chicken in 30 seconds. Takes me about 2 minutes. So what if it takes you 15 or 20 minutes??? You have an elegant yet simple entree.

If you are looking for really easy chicken with no cooking involved, grocery store rotisserie.
    I seen Jacques bone a turkey on Julias show useing a cleaver as his boning knife I was impressed it only took him a couple of minutes. Aha the magic of TV Chow Jim
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Easy chicken 2006/01/14 03:51:56 (permalink)
    Jimeats, I saw Jacques and Julia do "Cooking in Concert" at Boston University, it was being taped for PBS. And yes, he boned out a turkey in no time with a cleaver! No TV magic there, the guy is FAST!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1