The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Eat and Greet, Troy, New York Area Hot Dog Stands

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 48
Matt Gleason

• Total Posts: 689
Eat and Greet, Troy, New York Area Hot Dog Stands Mon, 03/15/10 5:39 PM (permalink)
Saturday, June 19, 2010 

Date Changed To:
Saturday, August 14th, 2010
Meeting point:
Park & Ride located at NYS I87 exit 19 (Kingston) 11am

If interested, I can take one person in my truck.  If you want to follow me, I will be at the Park & Ride at 11am.  It's about 40+ minutes to Gus' stand from Kingston.
If you know the location, you can go directly to Gus' on your own and we will meet up.

Bring CASH
Bring your camera
Bring your appetite

Google Map of Tour

1. Gus's Hot Dogs - Watervliet, NY
2. Hot Dog Charlies - Cohoes, NY

3. Famous Lunch - Troy, NY
4. Jack's Drive-In - Wynantskill, NY (optional)
5. Dallas Weiners - Kingston, NY

<message edited by Hot Dog King on Thu, 07/1/10 9:55 PM>

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
    Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Mon, 03/15/10 6:32 PM (permalink)
    been to Gus's about 5 years ago..loved it !!
    Great little mini hot dogs!!
    ( a common theme in that area,  I noticed!)

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
      Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Mon, 03/15/10 6:51 PM (permalink)
      I'd love to go and hope to do so, but I can't plan that far ahead.  May I let you know as the date gets closer?

Matt Gleason

Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Mon, 03/15/10 7:20 PM (permalink)
        Billyboy, no problem.

GB944

• Total Posts: 191
          Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Mon, 03/15/10 7:23 PM (permalink)
          Sign me up... I live just south of Kingston and will save the date.
          <message edited by GB944 on Mon, 03/15/10 7:24 PM>

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Mon, 03/15/10 9:51 PM (permalink)
            I went to college in Albany and I don't think I had a single hot dog in the 4 years I lived in that city.  Has it become a hot dog city since I left in 1988? Or, since none of the places you listed are actually IN Albany, is it just something in the outskirts?

Wait...have I been out of college for twenty-two years?  How did THAT happen???

nysharks

• Total Posts: 103
              Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Tue, 03/16/10 1:50 AM (permalink)
              Pigiron

I went to college in Albany and I don't think I had a single hot dog in the 4 years I lived in that city.  Has it become a hot dog city since I left in 1988? Or, since none of the places you listed are actually IN Albany, is it just something in the outskirts?

Funny, I went to school in Albany in the early 80's and didn't know anything about their small hot dogs either.  The closest I had was at a small store on Central Ave. that sold cheesesteaks for 50 cents which I thought was a bargain until I saw that they used the same small buns as are typical of the upstate New York hot dogs.  They were about 5 inches long.

I have been back to the area since and found out about the small hot dogs.  They have been around in the Capitol District area for quite a while with Famous Lunch in Troy serving those critters since 1932.

LindaW

• Total Posts: 338
                Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Tue, 03/16/10 10:06 AM (permalink)
                I can't say for sure, as that date is too far out there, but we may try to meet you at the first two, since they are very close. Sad as it is to say, I've never been to Gus'....as I'm more of a dirty water hot dog w/kraut  kind of gal, but my hubby is definitely more of the meat sauce type of guy. Will try to keep the date in mind.

GB944

• Total Posts: 191
                  Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Wed, 06/9/10 3:21 PM (permalink)
                  I just noticed this date is a week and change away...  Is the tour still on?

Foodosaurus

Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Wed, 06/9/10 3:44 PM (permalink)

I'd love to go on this.... but I can't next weekend.  

I'm very interested if this date is changed though.

Matt Gleason

Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Sun, 06/13/10 6:20 PM (permalink)
                      I am unavailable on the 19th so I would like to move the date out to a Saturday in August?

Saturday 7th
                      Saturday 14th - Is the official date.. Read top post for information.
                      Saturday 21st
                      Saturday 28th

<message edited by Hot Dog King on Thu, 07/1/10 9:57 PM>

waltpiii

Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Mon, 06/14/10 8:24 AM (permalink)
                        I have never been to Hot Dog Heaven on Lark St. in Albany, NY.  But I have heard that is is good.  If any one is interested in tavern food try the South End Tavern in Troy.  I would check in advance because, years ago,  they closed for the month  of August to go to Saratoga Race Track. If you go, have the half and half sandwich.  It is 1/2 ham 1/2 swiss cheese with spicy mustard on good rye bread.  After you pick a date I will see if I can make it.

Walt

Foodosaurus

Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Mon, 06/14/10 9:49 AM (permalink)
                          HDK - I'm available on the 14th or the 28th.

Matt Gleason

Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Mon, 06/14/10 5:58 PM (permalink)
                            I'll give a couple of more days and make the decision on the date.

waltpiii

Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Thu, 06/17/10 5:11 PM (permalink)
                              Pigiron

Wait...have I been out of college for twenty-two years?  How did THAT happen???

Dear Pigiron,

These places have been around for ever. I am sixty and my dad took me to them when I still had feet in my PJ's.

Did you get off campus or date young ladies who are vegetarian?  I when to the University at Albany forty + years ago, and these places are not convenient to that campus.

Walt

Matt Gleason

Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Thu, 07/1/10 10:00 PM (permalink)
                                The new date is Saturday, August 14th.  See the 1st post.

billyboy

Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Sat, 07/3/10 3:09 AM (permalink)
                                  Is anyone driving up from New York City?  Might I be able to hitch a ride?  I can chip in gas/toll money.

HDK, is there a commuter rail/Metro North station at that Park & Ride?

seafarer john

Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Sat, 07/3/10 8:08 AM (permalink)
                                    BB: There's no rail service to Kingston, but Trailways bus operating out of the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Midtown Manhattan does offer service to Kingston. Just how close to that parking lot they can let you off, I do not know. 

Gail and I may be able to do the Kingston part of the tour. If that works out for us, you could take the bus to New Paltz and ride to Kingston with us - if the Dallas Hot Weiners stop is moved up to the first stop on the tour...

Cheers, John 

Matt Gleason

Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Sat, 07/3/10 8:46 AM (permalink)
                                      I don't mind changing the schedule to accomodate a few folks.

@Billy Boy... Unfortunetly not.  A direct link to Kingston would be a Trailways bus from Port Authority to Kingston, NY.

Foodosourus showed interest...
                                      <message edited by Hot Dog King on Sat, 07/3/10 8:49 AM>

billyboy

Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Sat, 07/3/10 10:22 AM (permalink)
                                        HDK, I just looked up Trailways online and the bus station in Kingston is at 400 Washington Ave.  On Google maps it is just east of Forsyth Park in Kingston.  I'm not sure where that is in relation to the park & ride. Don't change the schedule on my account.  

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                                          Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Sat, 07/3/10 8:03 PM (permalink)
                                          Hello everyone ,

This date looks good as of now , Sat Aug 14th will pass the word around

Benzee

Matt Gleason

Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Sat, 07/3/10 8:55 PM (permalink)
                                            BillyBoy, I added the bus depot to the map I created for the tour. 

Map of Troy New York Meet, Greet and Eat

Matt Gleason

Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Mon, 07/5/10 6:49 PM (permalink)
                                              So far the following folks have replied:

Me
                                              Foodosaurus
                                              Benzee
                                              Shmaboo

Possible:
                                              Seafarer John
                                              Waltpiii
                                              TnTinCT
                                              Billyboy

Rain or shine unless there is a major hurricane, volcano or earth quake.  All except for Gus's are indoors.
                                              <message edited by Matt Gleason on Tue, 07/20/10 8:11 PM>

waltpiii

Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Tue, 07/6/10 3:00 PM (permalink)
                                                I am not sure yet. But if I attend, I will meet you at Gus's.

Walt

TnTinCT

Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Tue, 07/6/10 9:35 PM (permalink)
                                                  We are a definite maybe - waiting for some family reunion plans to firm up, but we will plan on joining if there is no conflict.  billyboy - if it makes sense for you to get to Hartford via Amtrak we could provide a lift to/from the train -

Matt Gleason

Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Fri, 07/9/10 10:38 PM (permalink)
                                                    TnTinCT and BillyBoy...
                                                    TnTinCT, I assume you are taking I-84 West into NY and then taking I-87 North?
                                                    I am just throwing this out there... there is a Metro North train on the Hudson Line that goes to Beacon.  The Beacon station is not far from I-84 (about a mile), it's the exit right before the Beacon Bridge.

TnTinCT

Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Tue, 07/13/10 9:25 AM (permalink)
                                                      I think since we are so far north in CT we would normally head up to Mass Pike and west from there, rather than south to go north again.

billyboy

• Location: New York City, NY
                                                        Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Tue, 07/13/10 9:37 AM (permalink)
                                                        HDK, please mark me as a maybe.  I'd like to attend but I'm not sure if the transit will work out.  I'll let you know as the date gets closer.

Matt Gleason

Re:Albany New York Hot Dog Tour 2010 Tue, 07/13/10 8:32 PM (permalink)
                                                          Okay billyboy.
                                                          I understand TnTinCT.

I added Helmbolds meat packing to the list as a possible visit.  I have asked them in the past if they provide tours but the answer was no, I will ask again LOL.  They close at 2pm on Saturday so the issue would be timing.  One good part about this tour is that all of the places are within 1 to 3 miles of each other.  We could hit the first two, jump down to Helmbolds and back up to Famous Lunch.  Anyway, you can check it out on the Google map I made.  See above.

Fritz Helmbolds is the local provider of many of the mini hot dogs that are sold in Troy.

<message edited by Matt Gleason on Sat, 07/24/10 7:57 PM>

Shmaboo

• Total Posts: 11
                                                            • Location: Marcellus, NY
                                                            Re:Eat and Greet, Troy, New York Area Hot Dog Stands Mon, 07/19/10 11:25 PM (permalink)
                                                            I'd like to attend.  I live out by Syracuse now, but I grew up in Troy.  We'd argue over who was better, Charlie's or Famous Lunch.  (For years, they were two doors apart on Congress St.)   We never discussed Gus's, mainly because it was on the other side of the river, so we never went there. 

I still go back home 3-4 times a year to get my fix.  Only problem is, on recent hot dog pilgrimages, I've been adding Gus's to the rotation and they might be the best of the three.  It's kind of like football, "on any given Sunday" any of these places can give you the best little hot dog you ever had.  I bet that's true on Saturdays, too.

I'll see you at Gus's.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 48

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com