The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Eat <X>, Win <Y>

VibrationGuy

• Total Posts: 229
Eat <X>, Win <Y> Sat, 05/3/03 3:07 AM (permalink)
I'm a total sucker for anything of the sort; I just added an "I Survived Tom, Dick and Harry's Supreme" t-shirt to the collection this afternoon for eating two 3/4 pound burgers. *urp*. The things I'll do for a free shirt and my picture by the door. I've also managed the 72-oz sirloin dinner at Old Country Kitchen in Portland, OR and the five-malts-in-30-minutes challenge at Crown Candy Kitchen in St. Louis, and a few that have faded into the back of my memory (sometimes, big food isn't very good food, but these three stand out as decent meals in their own right).

Since I need a hobby, anyway, does anyone have any other suggestions for places that challenge the diner to pack away a few thousand calories for sport?

Eric

Michael Stern

RE: Eat <X>, Win <Y> Sat, 05/3/03 3:18 AM (permalink)
    I don't know if they still do it, but Stella's in Billings, Montana, used to offer a free cinnamon roll (about nine-inches across) to anyone who could polish off four "monster cakes" in a single sitting. A monster cake is a foot-wide pancake about a half-inch thick. Best of luck in your quest!

Oh, and since you've already done it at Old Country Kitchen, it should be no sweat for you to tackle the 72-ounce steak dinner (eat it all and you get it free) at The Big Texan in Amarillo.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Eat <X>, Win <Y> Sat, 05/3/03 4:47 AM (permalink)
      Add to Michael's about the Big Texan.
      Fail to complete the meal of the 72 oz steak and various side items within the specified time limit and the bill will be $54.00 (last year's price!)

Alirush

• Total Posts: 59
        RE: Eat <X>, Win <Y> Sat, 05/3/03 10:56 AM (permalink)
        VibrationGuy,

There's an armadillo meat-eating contest this weekend in Hamburg, AR. The announcement in the paper doesn't say what the prize is if you win, but who cares - think of the title you'd hold for an entire year...

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
          RE: Eat <X>, Win <Y> Sat, 05/3/03 11:32 AM (permalink)
          OK OK I'll be the straight man this time..." What Do Armadillo's Taste Like ?"

Alirush

• Total Posts: 59
            RE: Eat <X>, Win <Y> Sat, 05/3/03 12:16 PM (permalink)
            Mr. Mayor, you may have thought you were being the "it tastes like chicken" sucker, but I just did some on-line research, and it turns out that armadillo tastes like high quality pork! Perhaps a more adventurous roadfooder than myself should do some taste-testing for us...

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
              RE: Eat <X>, Win <Y> Sat, 05/3/03 3:50 PM (permalink)
              Maybe someone can find some "Armadillo Oysters"...and we can get the BEST () of both worlds!!!

yumbo

• Total Posts: 330
                RE: Eat <X>, Win <Y> Sat, 05/3/03 7:03 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Squirrel!

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
                  RE: Eat <X>, Win <Y> Sat, 05/3/03 9:37 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

To be quite serious, armadillo tastes like roast beef. When we lived in rural Oklahoma for awhile, my grandfather hunted what he could find on our 15 acres..armadillo was a part of that.. My mother fixed it two ways.. as a roast..with bbq sauce.. or chopped up with mayonnaise, pickle and bbq sauce as a sort of armadillo salad sandwich, very tasty either way.

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
                    RE: Eat <X>, Win <Y> Sun, 05/25/03 11:33 AM (permalink)
                    My wife's uncle used to go to a place called the Red River Cattle company. There was an item on the menu called the Beef Challenge: a 72 OZ steak. If you finished the steak, the potato, the salad, and all the trimmings, the meal was free.

Uncle Peter did so: on eight separate occasions.

His picture is now posted next to the door, because he is no longer eligible.

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
                      RE: Eat <X>, Win <Y> Sun, 05/25/03 8:20 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by jmckee

My wife's uncle used to go to a place called the Red River Cattle company. There was an item on the menu called the Beef Challenge: a 72 OZ steak. If you finished the steak, the potato, the salad, and all the trimmings, the meal was free.

Uncle Peter did so: on eight separate occasions.

His picture is now posted next to the door, because he is no longer eligible.

8 times??? Ok, I'm impressed now..I couldn't even do it once! Because, despite my girth and my love of food, I seem to have a natural gastric bypass bestowed on me by nature.. I can't seem to eat more than a small plateful in one sitting.. (obviously I eat many such small platefuls during the day...LOL)

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                        RE: Eat <X>, Win <Y> Tue, 05/27/03 11:37 AM (permalink)
                        Local family owned chain (5 stores) called Colonial Ice Gream has a Kitchen Sink which comes in a 8x12 galvanized kitchen sink, I think it holds 30 scoops of ice cream and the fixings for a banana split. You get a t shirt and a bumper sticker if you polish one off.

seafarer john

RE: Eat <X>, Win <Y> Tue, 05/27/03 10:52 PM (permalink)
                          Harrison's raw bar in Ocean City, MD will post your name , along with about 100 previous winners on a big board over the bar if you can eat everything on their menu. It consists of about 20 items, all seafood, like steamed clams, mussels,shrimp, and oysters on the half shell, oyster roast, etc. The food is all excellent, the service is great, the company around the bar tends to be warm and friendly and its a whole lot of fun to try. I estimate the cost to be about $100 plus whatever you want to drink - and if you eat it all, you still pay. No prize, just your name up on the board. It's a long way from Seattle, but worth the trip - Go for it Vibration Guy!

My name is up there twice. Trouble is, it just happens to be another guy with a great appetite and my name. This does not prevent me from sometimes claiming to be him after a few libations...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com