Eating on the cheap

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ToYou
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
2011/11/16 17:36:52 (permalink)

Eating on the cheap

With the proliferation of so many discount sites like Groupon, Living Social, Restaurant.com, etc. it is possible to try many of the eateries on Roadfood.com without having to break the bank.

Since I trawl the web for bargains for my job, I thought that I could combine two of my favorite pleasures by posting some of the bargains that I find here.  And if anyone else finds some bargains please feel free to post them in this thread too.

The one I found today was for Kamp Dog in New London, CT, the Roadfood review can be found here: .  On DoubleTakeDeals.com they are offering three $10 gift certificates for $15.  I haven't been to Kamp Dog yet nor have I used DoubleTakeDeals.com yet, but I am the first to buy this deal from them.  So hopefully it all works out well for the food and the savings.

My intentions with this thread is to give foodies an opportunity to try the many places mentioned on the site with an eye on their wallet.  I come in peace...

40 Replies Related Threads

TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4583
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/16 17:52:19 (permalink)
    ...and here we have yet another case of one of these self-important posters appointing themself board policeman and deciding to mark up someone else's post (using the 'flag as spam' button that the mods are not alerted to) rather than simply - and quietly - reporting it to the board mods (using the 'report abuse' button which the mods ARE alerted to)

Ridiculous

I hope the mods give serious consideration to providing a nice long vacation from Roadfood for this poor overworked individual
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7897
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/16 18:00:17 (permalink)
    But how do you know they didn't...

report it to the board mods (using the 'report abuse' button which the mods ARE alerted to)????

Maybe that Spam Flag will alert others not to read the long post only to find the spam link in the bottom of it?

It wasn't me, but I don't find it ridiculous at all.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/16 18:04:49 (permalink)
    *shrug*

I do, and such activity appears (to me) to (unfortunately) be on an increase

To answer your question, if one reports the post using the 'report abuse' button, there is no further purpose or value to using the other button.  I am confident that the involved parties do not send the same message to the mods twice.
    ToYou
    Junior Burger
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/16 18:07:15 (permalink)
    When I was thinking about this post, I just knew that it was going to rub someone the wrong way.  My thought that it would be nice for people to know about some of the places that are listed on roadfood.com that people can try and get a discount.  I did not mention the website that I work for as that would have been waving a red flag at a bull.

As I said in the post, it would be great if other people can post the bargains they find to other roadfood.com restaurants too.  This thread doesn't have to be just my posts.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/16 18:36:28 (permalink)
    not a problem for the vast majority of us, ToYou, but it only takes one misguided self-important poster to hit the "flag as spam" button; and unfortunately, we are seeing this a LOT of this misguided behavior here on Roadfood of late.  Further, since the mods here are all volunteers, and have to sift through potentially hundreds of posts a day as well as spam reports that are actually posted to them in the correct manner, getting such a thing corrected can take a while. 

Welcome to Roadfood, and I hope you give the the rest of us a chance to demonstrate we are a friendly community, despite the actions of one bad apple here on your first day aboard..
    post edited by TJ Jackson - 2011/11/16 18:38:43
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10257
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/16 18:50:08 (permalink)
    Take the Damn Spam option off the site, leave the Report Abuse option and let the Mods sort it out. Can I have an Amen?
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/16 19:21:30 (permalink)
    Exactly.  Why have a Spam button if it doesn't work?

Welcome to Roadfood!

I get Groupon notices every day.  I've yet to use them but my brother does all the time.

I find the problem with Groupon is that the coupon is good for that day and only that day.  I need more notice.
    ToYou
    Junior Burger
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/16 19:33:09 (permalink)
    Thanks, mar52.

You are probably getting notices from Groupon Now () which are offers good for only that day.  Their regular site usually give you at least 2 days notice on their offers.  One good thing about the Groupon Now offers is that if you don't use them, they give you your money back.

mar52

Welcome to Roadfood!

I get Groupon notices every day.  I've yet to use them but my brother does all the time.

I find the problem with Groupon is that the coupon is good for that day and only that day.  I need more notice.

mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/16 19:43:57 (permalink)
    Oh yeah... money.  That's the other problem. 

sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/16 21:56:15 (permalink)
    mar52

Welcome to Roadfood!

I'm looking at a Groupon coupon right now that we bought on Oct 6, 2011 that expires on Apr. 8,2012.
    Gene's Steakhouse in Daytona Beach. we paid $25 for a $50 coupon. we plan to use it in the next month.
    I'm all for discount coupons like this, but I won't pay a fee or a membership.
    ToYou
    Junior Burger
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/16 22:25:30 (permalink)
    There shouldn't be a need to pay for any membership fees.  There are so many companies out there offering discounted coupons and most of the risk is being taken by the restaurant.  Usually the coupon is discounted 50% to the buyer.  The vendor (Groupon or Living Social for example) will take 1/2 of the rest and the restaurant gets the other 1/2.  So in effect the restaurant is being paid only 25 cents on the dollar.  Lots of stories of these coupons hurting businesses because they lose too much money if a deal becomes too popular.

sk bob

mar52

Welcome to Roadfood!

I'm looking at a Groupon coupon right now that we bought on Oct 6, 2011 that expires on Apr. 8,2012.
    Gene's Steakhouse in Daytona Beach. we paid $25 for a $50 coupon. we plan to use it in the next month.
    I'm all for discount coupons like this, but I won't pay a fee or a membership.

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4088
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/17 08:24:38 (permalink)
    If you want to eat very well "on the cheap", vacation in Rio.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/17 12:16:19 (permalink)
    Costs a bit to get down there to begin with, Jim :-)
    ALLGOOD
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 167
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/17 12:33:39 (permalink)
    Vegas.  Even the high end buffets are a steal compared to even the basic ones in my neck of the woods!
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5074
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/17 12:40:32 (permalink)
    My wife and I like the half-off sites but it seems like more restaurants around here are selling 2 $25 certificates for $25 instead of a single $50, which would be my preference.  The savings is still the same but 2 visits instead of 1 means extra travel (sometimes significant, sometimes not) and more $$ out of my pocket for drinks and the difference between the bill and the certificate.

Brad
    starfire62
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 240
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/17 14:37:52 (permalink)
    i still have good luck with buying the entertainment book every year.had a $10 coupon in the walgreens paper this year got it for $25.we seem to use it alot.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1509
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/17 15:37:51 (permalink)
    I was lucky enough to get a 60 dollar one for 20 dollars...quite a savings... but then the waiter tried to automatically add a 22 percent tip! There were only 3 of us dining and it wasn't that busy, so I don't know what he was up to..when confronted he admitted that he does that sometimes...   Talked to the manager... managed to get that taken off and our desserts comped.  To me, tipping is something you do for good service since the restaurants around here pay their staff pretty well.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6385
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/17 16:59:36 (permalink)
    Darn Monty Python for ruining a perfectly good name for canned meat!!

ToYou - I like your idea it would be interesting to see some of the deals

Mar - I feel ya on the money thing
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/17 17:03:10 (permalink)
    Jennifer_4

I was lucky enough to get a 60 dollar one for 20 dollars...quite a savings... but then the waiter tried to automatically add a 22 percent tip! There were only 3 of us dining and it wasn't that busy, so I don't know what he was up to..when confronted he admitted that he does that sometimes...   Talked to the manager... managed to get that taken off and our desserts comped.  To me, tipping is something you do for good service since the restaurants around here pay their staff pretty well.

Restaurants in Fresno pay their staff well??????
    ToYou
    Junior Burger
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/17 20:33:51 (permalink)
    After finding many restaurants that are listed here and seeing them offering discounts I thought it would be a nice idea to post them here.  But until I get off of double secret probation, I can't post any links for awhile.

CajunKing

Darn Monty Python for ruining a perfectly good name for canned meat!!

ToYou - I like your idea it would be interesting to see some of the deals

Mar - I feel ya on the money thing

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8362
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/17 20:34:52 (permalink)
    Eating on the cheap these days is tomato soup, grilled cheese sandwiches and fruit.Which was our dinner tonight. I can no more afford meals out at this point in our lives.
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/17 21:33:27 (permalink)
    As far as the automatic tip is concerned I'm pretty sure I've seen that in the terms and conditions for some of the coupons.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/18 11:03:03 (permalink)
    Assuming the service was OK, you should tip your waiter , when using a $off coupon, based on the full price before the coupon discount. 

Cheers, John 
    Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1877
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/18 21:46:27 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

I love the idea of posting the restaurant coupons on this site , welcome aboard  ToYou .
    We use the Entertainment Book every yr , think we pay $30 for it  through  my sons school , but by March you can probably pick it up from their website for $10  and we did that one yr for the Vegas edition and saved a lot .
    With restaurant flyers
    Recently we scored on Ruby Tuesday  $5 off 15 for lunch  33% off
    Ihop   20 % that we used the kids eat free deal for also
    Dennys also had a similar one and we tend to use them for beakfast or early lunch
    Take advantage  and dont be afraid to use the coupons , I know friends that feel embarraseed to show it , dont flush money down the drain , if their is a coupon use it !!!!!

Also the discount card in our area .
    DD is always on there , free donut with Large coffee $1 value , good every day of yr .
    Guess what you get a coffee every day like my wife appreciates and you just saved $365  for the yr by getting the donut . We dont even usually eat it but if I see  a  first responder or military in line I sask them what kind of donut they like and hand it to them , or if I  give it to someone else .

Also in our area there are a lot of Pizza places , most are pretty comparable taste wise but the prices are way across the board .
    Pudgys Pizza in Pine Bush  beat the clock on Tues start at 6 pm ,  whatever time you call thats what you pay 6: 15 is $6.15 ,  on Mondays same place is $7.99 . Pizza tastes same on those days or a friday , yes I checked , no skimping ..
    Another place nearby Fireside in Bloomingburg $10 large pies all the time another good deal .

Compare this to Villa Gaudios  in Bullville that charges $13 and change for a large , no less , for a similar tasting pie and guess where we are not going  often . To be dair the heros and dinners at VG are excellent .

Anndd , yes Seafarer is so correct on this , we always tip the waiters / waitress before the discount is given 15 % adequate service , 20 - 23% for excellent , friendly service .
    And you will lose points with me by asking me if I want something with dinner or lunch like it is included and on the bill it was an extra charge , and you never mentioned that . It will be tip adjusted as it were ..

Ahhhhhhhh thats enough for now , think I went off a little but , hey if you run into any Hot Dog Coupons let me know , I can round up 20 to 50 in no time for a meet

Benzee

ToYou
    Junior Burger
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/11/20 14:27:33 (permalink)
    Hi Benzee,

There are 2 hot dog places in Upstate NY that I found that have 1/2 off coupons.  One is Champs Chili Dogs in Binghamton and Delky's Michigan Dogs in Hudson Falls.  Neither are in Roadfood but they certainly sound like road food type places.  You can find them on DoubleTakeDeals . com

Kamp Dog in New London, CT, which is listed in Road Food is still available on DoubleTakeDeals.

I can't put their URL's down until I get pass the probation period.

Benzee

Hello all ,

I love the idea of posting the restaurant coupons on this site , welcome aboard  ToYou .
    We use the Entertainment Book every yr , think we pay $30 for it  through  my sons school , but by March you can probably pick it up from their website for $10  and we did that one yr for the Vegas edition and saved a lot .
    With restaurant flyers
    Recently we scored on Ruby Tuesday  $5 off 15 for lunch  33% off
    Ihop   20 % that we used the kids eat free deal for also
    Dennys also had a similar one and we tend to use them for beakfast or early lunch
    Take advantage  and dont be afraid to use the coupons , I know friends that feel embarraseed to show it , dont flush money down the drain , if their is a coupon use it !!!!!

Also the discount card in our area .
    DD is always on there , free donut with Large coffee $1 value , good every day of yr .
    Guess what you get a coffee every day like my wife appreciates and you just saved $365  for the yr by getting the donut . We dont even usually eat it but if I see  a  first responder or military in line I sask them what kind of donut they like and hand it to them , or if I  give it to someone else .

Also in our area there are a lot of Pizza places , most are pretty comparable taste wise but the prices are way across the board .
    Pudgys Pizza in Pine Bush  beat the clock on Tues start at 6 pm ,  whatever time you call thats what you pay 6: 15 is $6.15 ,  on Mondays same place is $7.99 . Pizza tastes same on those days or a friday , yes I checked , no skimping ..
    Another place nearby Fireside in Bloomingburg $10 large pies all the time another good deal .

Compare this to Villa Gaudios  in Bullville that charges $13 and change for a large , no less , for a similar tasting pie and guess where we are not going  often . To be dair the heros and dinners at VG are excellent .

Anndd , yes Seafarer is so correct on this , we always tip the waiters / waitress before the discount is given 15 % adequate service , 20 - 23% for excellent , friendly service .
    And you will lose points with me by asking me if I want something with dinner or lunch like it is included and on the bill it was an extra charge , and you never mentioned that . It will be tip adjusted as it were ..

Ahhhhhhhh thats enough for now , think I went off a little but , hey if you run into any Hot Dog Coupons let me know , I can round up 20 to 50 in no time for a meet

Benzee

ToYou
    Junior Burger
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/12/02 10:50:19 (permalink)
    Living Social is offering a 1/2 off voucher for Rawley's in Fairfield, CT.  Get an $8 certificate for $4.  You have until Dec. 3rd to purchase it.  You can find the certificate on the Living Social website and then click on deals for Fairfield, CT.  I would post the link but I am still on probation here.

Rawley's is home of the deep fried hot dog with cheese and wrapped with bacon.  Definitely a cardiologist's nightmare.  There is a review on Roadfood on this place.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5074
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/12/02 12:13:27 (permalink)
    The "Half Off Deals" page is now including offers from restaurant.com but most of them have a minimumpurchase requirement.  I was all set to buy a $50 certificate for $25 until I saw that I needed to make a $35 purchase...

Brad
    ToYou
    Junior Burger
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/12/02 12:54:07 (permalink)
    Restaurant. com is now offering a deal in which you can get $25 certificates for $3.  Type in the promo code "snow".  The offer is good until Dec. 4th.  Not sure if all restaurants are available.

The different sites are using all types of rules that one has to read the small print.  Haven't used one from restaurant. com yet.

ScreamingChicken

The "Half Off Deals" page is now including offers from restaurant.com but most of them have a minimumpurchase requirement.  I was all set to buy a $50 certificate for $25 until I saw that I needed to make a $35 purchase...

Brad

Benzee
    • Total Posts : 1877
    Re:Eating on the cheap 2011/12/02 16:55:09 (permalink)
    Hello all ,
    Make sure tyou check the pine print on all those sites , just because you get a recomendation on here does not make it gospel , buyer beware , but there are a lot of good dining deals out there these days
    Benzee
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1