Eating 'que at the Queen Mary Third Annual West Coast BBQ Classic in Long Beach, CA

Author
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3901
2014/05/14 19:12:31 (permalink)

Eating 'que at the Queen Mary Third Annual West Coast BBQ Classic in Long Beach, CA

Last week, I went to the KCBS and CBBQA sanctioned Third Annual West Coast BBQ Classic at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA. It was a great location---the Queen Mary is one of my favorite places to go. Friday was the setup day but I was able to go and meet some of the teams, some that I'd never met before and others that I had met at the last year's competition.

I stopped first at the Woodshed BBQ Team, who is made up of people from the Woodshed Gourmet Cooking Wood and Firewood. Renea Teasdale showed me some of the wood they had and told me that they also supplied a lot of the teams with their wood.

It was interesting talking with her and now I've found a new source for pellets for my Traeger smoker. 

Next stop was the Outta Gas BBQ Team, who were already grilling' but not chill in'. I'd met Chris last year so it was good to see him again. They were grilling Korean BBQ Short Ribs that they were going to use for Short rib Tacos for one of their "People's Choice" offerings, which is the category that allows people to try the 'que and vote on their favorite. 
" "
I tried some, hot off the grill and delicious.

I really love some of the names that the teams come up with. 

With everyone still setting up and cars, trucks, RV's and SUV's unloading, it was fun walking around and smelling the delicicious aroma of cooking meat.

I dropped by a new team, Smoky Doky BBQ and he brought these out for me to try, fresh off the grill. Yum!

With not a lot set up yet, you could see the Queen Mary clearly from the park.

When I left, some of the teams were just getting ready to put their brisket and pork butts into their smokers. It was going to be an all night cook on those meats. Some of the people doing those may get 1 to 2 hours of sleep Friday night.

Saturday, I got to the Queen Mary just before the gates opened and got right in. I made a beeline for Big Mista's BBQ. I'd met Neil Strawder last year, a nice guy and a genius at BBQ.

Some of you may recognize him from the Arby's commercial for their brisket sandwich where he says he smokes his for 15 hours. 

The reason I went to Big Mista's first? Pig Candy, one of the most delicious foods ever invented. 

It a simple thing, really. Neil takes thick applewood smoked bacon, coats it with brown sugar, cayenne and a rub, smokes it, puts more spices and brown sugar on it and smokes it again till it's glazed and chewy-tender. In case you can't taste it yet---here:

Taste it now?

After a brief stop to visit Natalie and Fiona at the Queen Mary booth

I ventured over to Jet Coating Monkey Style's site to see how they were doing with their BBQ. They were just taking the brisket out to prepare for the judging
"
Stay tuned for more from Jet Coating Monkey Style. They were having fun!

Next stop was the Woodshed, where they were cooking Hawaiian Chicken Skewers on the Santa Maria Grill.

Again, I had some yummy food, chicken, brisket and some pulled pork. 

Meanwhile, members of the teams were busy putting the judge's boxes together for the competition. 
"
They will make a few pork butts and briskets, eight racks of ribs and a dozen pieces of chicken just to find the perfect couple ribs and dozen slices of meat to go into the judge's styrofoam box.
Stay hungry---more to come!
post edited by EdSails - 2014/05/15 03:58:53

17 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4978
    Re:Eating 'que at the Queen Mary Third Annual West Coast BBQ Classic in Long Beach, CA 2014/05/14 19:25:24 (permalink)
    Ooooo...lots of good stuff and apparently Weber was well-represented!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18268
    Re:Eating 'que at the Queen Mary Third Annual West Coast BBQ Classic in Long Beach, CA 2014/05/14 19:27:48 (permalink)
    Great stuff. I'm looking forward to more.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7769
    Re:Eating 'que at the Queen Mary Third Annual West Coast BBQ Classic in Long Beach, CA 2014/05/14 19:59:21 (permalink)
    Dang!  Good thing I was at a wedding or I would have been upset with you!

Next time...  tell be before it happens! 
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Eating 'que at the Queen Mary Third Annual West Coast BBQ Classic in Long Beach, CA 2014/05/14 20:17:52 (permalink)
    Next up was the Patio Pitmasters, a team composed of KCBS judges. I had a nice smoked hot link sausage and a treat called a Moinkball. Think about it, you'll get the name!

I went by to visit the guys at Outta Gas BBQ Team and to have one of their short rib tacos that they were grilling the meat I had tasted the day before.

The Short Rib Taco was awesome, with a cabbage slaw with a delicious dressing.  And a slice of watermelon too! I was halfway through it before I realized I'd forgotten to get a picture of it.

I took a break to go and get one of my favorite BBQ beverages. Jack Daniels had a booth there, so I had a nice glass of my favorite that I have at home, the Queen Mary's Single Barrel Select. 

speaking of barrels---my next stop was the OC Bad Barrel BBQ Team, where I had delicious ribs and corn.

Billy was in back cooking and I talked with him since I saw a sign about 'Q-Pellets' wood smoke pellets as a sponsor.for them. As many of you know form other posts, I have a Traeger pellet smoker that I love and use all the time. He told me that 15 out of the 60 teams were using pellet smokers this year for the competition and they love them. Here he his smoking tater tots and bacon for one of their sides which combined both with cheese for a tasty treat.

Down a ways, I saw a line  with a lot of people waiting. I saw a guy leave the window with a rib, take two bites of it and told me he was getting back in line  for a second order. I figured I better try some. I got my ribs and got to talk to Kyle Adkins, who makes the ribs and other goodies for the 'People's Choice' side of the Maddawgz BBQ Team. He and his dad, who does the competition side of things and has been in both the National KCBS Invitational and the Jack Daniels Invitiational, were great people. 

Kyle brought me my ribs and I tried them. They were on par with Brick Pit and simply amazing.

The were by far the best ribs I had that day. Kyle and his dad make a good team. The last thing Kyle did before he was deployed to Iraq was go to the nationals, and practically the first thing he did when he got back from his deployment was to start back on the BBQ circuit with his dad.

They took out the chicken and had me choose a piece. It was moist and delicious, with s good skin texture and great flavor.

Back at Big Mista's, Rodney Barnes was out visiting from Maryland and had come for the day to have some great BBQ.

I had a nice talk with Dave Cardona of Bad Boy Barrel BBQ on Friday, so I went to see the team on Saturday. They were having a good time since the competition part was over and the 'People's Choice' part was almost over too. I joined them for an adult libation toast.

I had a nice talk with Dave Cardona, the pit master, on Friday about his love of BBQ. His team does most of their barbecue not only for the love of it and the sport, but regularly do weekend charitable events to support their community. He told me about one church carnival last year where they cooked over 2,000 pounds of meat and grilled tri-tip in one weekend. That's a lot of 'que!

The last thing I had was at Burnin' and Lootin' BBQ Team, whose pit master Jerry I had met the year before. He gave me some Peach Cobbler which I regret I did not shoot----I was too anxious to eat it. Absolutely delicious!!! By that time, I gave away my BBQ tickets. I was too stuffed to even eat dinner that night.

Finally, the final judging results were announced. Neil of Big Mista's, where I had had pig candy, pulled pork and some pork ribs earlier, won an award for the only thing I had not tasted, brisket.

As the final announcement was made, Jet Coating Monkey Style, whom I had visited in the morning, was Best overall and won the Grand Championship Trophy. It was a good day with some delicious BBQ!

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Eating 'que at the Queen Mary Third Annual West Coast BBQ Classic in Long Beach, CA 2014/05/14 20:23:05 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

Ooooo...lots of good stuff and apparently Weber was well-represented!

I met many teams who swore by their Weber Smoky Mountains. They had set me up to spend some time with Haary Soo of Slap yo' Daddy BBQ, who teaches courses in it, has won numerous awards and trophies and is acknowledged as the top WSM guy, but I ran out of time. I hope to meet him at the next BBQ competition I go to. 
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10083
    Re:Eating 'que at the Queen Mary Third Annual West Coast BBQ Classic in Long Beach, CA 2014/05/14 21:09:43 (permalink)
    Fantastic photos and report Ed!  This is great stuff.  Still, I couldn't help but notice that the picture of the woodpile seems to be focused on something besides the wood. 

Not that I am complaining!

And how good does pig candy sound?
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Eating 'que at the Queen Mary Third Annual West Coast BBQ Classic in Long Beach, CA 2014/05/14 21:46:51 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

Fantastic photos and report Ed!  This is great stuff.  Still, I couldn't help but notice that the picture of the woodpile seems to be focused on something besides the wood. 

Pig candy will change your life!
    love2bake
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1351
    Re:Eating 'que at the Queen Mary Third Annual West Coast BBQ Classic in Long Beach, CA 2014/05/14 22:28:38 (permalink)
    Maybe I missed this detail, but were these competitors from all over the country or was participation limited to West Coasters?
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Eating 'que at the Queen Mary Third Annual West Coast BBQ Classic in Long Beach, CA 2014/05/15 01:15:13 (permalink)
    love2bake

Maybe I missed this detail, but were these competitors from all over the country or was participation limited to West Coasters?

This was a CA State Championship, so it was primarily from CA. The winner did get the invite to the nationals. I didn't find any teams that were from outside of CA. 
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Eating 'que at the Queen Mary Third Annual West Coast BBQ Classic in Long Beach, CA 2014/05/15 03:23:28 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

I know, Cliff, I was much too focussed on their 55 gallon steel barrel custom cooker. 
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4512
    Re:Eating 'que at the Queen Mary Third Annual West Coast BBQ Classic in Long Beach, CA 2014/05/15 13:52:44 (permalink)
    Amazing Q, looked like a lot of fun.  

Nice shot of the Queen Mary, I would love to stay there.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Eating 'que at the Queen Mary Third Annual West Coast BBQ Classic in Long Beach, CA 2014/05/15 14:00:45 (permalink)
    joerogo

It is an amazing ship, Joe. When Mr. and Mrs. Chips were here a few months ago we took them to the Queen Mary. They absolutely loved it. I got them a private tour of the Queen and they were able to see the Duchess of Windsor Suite. The thought they could be pretty comfortable staying there!
    love2bake
    • Total Posts : 1351
    Re:Eating 'que at the Queen Mary Third Annual West Coast BBQ Classic in Long Beach, CA 2014/05/15 14:04:09 (permalink)
    Were they able to see the Duchess of Windsor, too?  " />  I keep hearing stories that the ship is haunted!!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4512
    Re:Eating 'que at the Queen Mary Third Annual West Coast BBQ Classic in Long Beach, CA 2014/05/15 14:04:13 (permalink)
    EdSails

joerogo

It is an amazing ship, Joe. When Mr. and Mrs. Chips were here a few months ago we took them to the Queen Mary. They absolutely loved it. I got them a private tour of the Queen and they were able to see the Duchess of Windsor Suite. The thought they could be pretty comfortable staying there!

We took the shuttle to Catalina Island from that pier many years ago.  I just thought it was great to save the Old Girl as opposed to the scrap heap.

Believe me, I get out that way again, my first call will be to you.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6648
    Re:Eating 'que at the Queen Mary Third Annual West Coast BBQ Classic in Long Beach, CA 2014/05/15 14:48:59 (permalink)
    Good heavens, what marvelous Q!    Thanks for the superb pics!
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1154
    Re:Eating 'que at the Queen Mary Third Annual West Coast BBQ Classic in Long Beach, CA 2014/05/15 15:04:24 (permalink)
    I'm telling you, I'm so envious of that photography that I added you as a contact on my flickr just to see what kind of camera you're using!! (I guess it would've been easier just to ask you, right?) Was near the Queen Mary back when I lived in The Valley, but my cheap in-laws didn't want to buy the ticket to see that and the Spruce Goose. First time at Long Beach and probably the last, sorry to say.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Eating 'que at the Queen Mary Third Annual West Coast BBQ Classic in Long Beach, CA 2014/05/15 15:53:27 (permalink)
    joerogo

EdSails

joerogo

We took the shuttle to Catalina Island from that pier many years ago.  I just thought it was great to save the Old Girl as opposed to the scrap heap.
    Believe me, I get out that way again, my first call will be to you.

Kewl, adult libations in the Observation Bar! Very nice location overlooking bow and LB skyline. Art Deco original interior. And very good drinks!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1