Eats in Williamsburg/Yorktown/Jamestown, VA area?

Author
cwjudyjr
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
2011/11/21 19:51:27 (permalink)

Eats in Williamsburg/Yorktown/Jamestown, VA area?

Any and all suggestions welcome!  Especially for the best in breakfast places.  Thanks in advance!!!

Conrad

6 Replies Related Threads

ChrisOC
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 988
    Re:Eats in Williamsburg/Yorktown/Jamestown, VA area? 2011/11/21 20:11:39 (permalink)
    It's been 2 years since I was in Williamsburg, but I remember lots of independent pancake houses for breakfast.  Try to have dinner in one of the places in the historic district' such as The King's Arms.  It is quite an interesting experience.  I think you need reservations in advance though.
    brookquarry
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 280
    Re:Eats in Williamsburg/Yorktown/Jamestown, VA area? 2011/11/22 06:19:29 (permalink)
    Five Forks Cafe on Jamestown Road a couple miles south of Williamsburg. A locals diner type place. Excellant pancakes and some of the best home fries I've had.
    mbrookes
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1354
    Re:Eats in Williamsburg/Yorktown/Jamestown, VA area? 2011/11/27 19:00:11 (permalink)
    I was very disappointed in The King's Arms. We were there for lunch. The food was not anything special, but the prices were. The whole atmosphere, rather than realistic, was hokey and theatrical.

We did eat at a really good local place ... I am not sure of the name, but it was something like The Library, The Study or some such. That was in Williamsburg.
    NascarDad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 336
    Re:Eats in Williamsburg/Yorktown/Jamestown, VA area? 2011/11/27 19:32:07 (permalink)
    Williamsburg has a ton of local pancake houses.  We liked Capitol Pancake House the best. Also enjoyed The Gazebo but have heard mixed reviews on it

The fried chicken I had at Shield's Tavern in the historic district was awesome, it was pan fried in cast iron skillet rather than deep fried.  Very very tasty.

If there is one place to avoid, it is The Black Angus , unless you are a fan of mediocre food at a high price. Actually ended up eating there twice over the years and actually could have been worse the second time. 

There are a bunch of other Williamsburg threads if you search, and one or two regulars in the board are from the area.

My fav sub sandwich in the area is at Carmines Italian Market, but it is across town from the historic area.  Great Italian assorted.

Williamsburger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    Re:Eats in Williamsburg/Yorktown/Jamestown, VA area? 2011/12/01 10:27:59 (permalink)
    Second the recommendation of Five Forks (breakfast & lunch only) and their new place Honey Butters (B,L,D). Biscuits & grave and the country ham are excellent.

Gazebo is middle of the road. Chickahominy House was good the last time I went there, but it's been a few years. They have a very different take on biscuits.

My DH & I also frequent Jimmy's - way the hell out west rt. 60 and Victoria's - up the street from Five Forks. Unfortunately for most people reading RF they use way too many Sysco products.

I've only been to Library Tavern once in the 20 years I've lived in W'burg. That should tell you something. The same family owns pancake houses and steak places up and down the rt. 60 corridor and we will not eat at any of them.

One place we do like on Rt. 60 for a change of pace is Food for Thought. Slightly more upscale with modern twists on classic dishes. Speaking of upscale, if you want to do one of the Taverns go with Shields or Christiana Campbell's (still my fave).

Other local favorites - Greenleafe Cafe (two locations) and Pierce's (not my taste, but others love it). And if you want to take an excursion - Surrey House in Surry County (yes, two different spellings). Search "Old Dominion" here on RF and you'll find a really good trip report that includes a description of Surrey House and Pierce's.

Hope this helps. Would offer to meet up, but we are in the process of moving to a new house. Bleagh!
    Cathy

Williamsburger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    Re:Eats in Williamsburg/Yorktown/Jamestown, VA area? 2011/12/01 10:33:53 (permalink)
    NascarDad 

My fav sub sandwich in the area is at Carmines Italian Market, but it is across town from the historic area.  Great Italian assorted.

Unfortunately Carmines closed. Owner has gone back to catering. "Rick's Grill" has opened in its place and we've tried it only once. It has a small but varied menu of steaks, seafood and pasta. I can't remember what I had (was in one of my "I don't know what I want" moods) but I remember we enjoyed our meal. The staff was a little slow at first to acknowledge and seat us, but afterward were very attentive.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1