EdSails does homemade Hawaiian Poke

Author
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4044
2011/04/21 23:14:11 (permalink)

EdSails does homemade Hawaiian Poke

Well, as many of you know, I love Poke. You can easily tell by my writeup of the Poke Festival and Competition I attended last week.
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=645815&high=poke
So I just happened to be near one of the Japanese markets I enjoy going to today and thought I'd stop by. Mitsuwa Marketplace is always fun----it has Santouka Ramen, one of my favorite Japanese soup places in it's food court. I stopped by there and had a nice rice bowl covered with some of the most delicious tender pork you could have. My hunger sated, I wandered into the market section. Wasn't planning on getting anything, but I love to window shop at those places. Well, I saw a beautiful piece of fresh bluefin tuna, so I decided that it would be poke night. I picked up the tuna and went in search of the poke mix I've used before. They had it-----the same company (Noh Foods) that I've used before and even had a booth at the Poke Festival

. I picked it up, bought some fresh scallions and headed home. Arigato, Mr Roboto.......
The Poke mix contains Hawaiian chili flakes, Hawaiian sea salt and dried ogo seaweed. It's actually packaged in Hawaii so it's the real stuff. I started off by chopping scallions and grating some fresh ginger.

I took the tuna and cut it into small cubes. It was such a nice, rich red color.

The tuna went into a bowl and I added the scallion tops and the fresh ginger. It takes about 3 minutes of soaking in warm water to reconstitute the seaweed, so I did that while I added the rest of the seasonings.

Once the seaweed was plumped, I chopped it up and added it to the tuna.

For the final touch, I added a few tablespoons of sesame oil. Some recipes call for soy sauce too, but with the salt in it, I thought it unnecessary. A few mixes with a spoon and I was done.

In an hour, the flavors had blended. I plated it and we dug in. Visions of beaches and palm trees crossed my mind as I had the first taste. I might still be on the mainland, but I was enjoying a nice Hawaiian dish, as fresh as could be.  

15 Replies Related Threads

Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 898
    Re:EdSails does homemade Hawaiian Poke 2011/04/22 00:16:55 (permalink)
    Great pictures, and it gives me a much better understanding of poke. Many thanks.

A really naive question: is "poke" pronounced "poke", or "pok-eh"?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10289
    Re:EdSails does homemade Hawaiian Poke 2011/04/22 00:51:03 (permalink)
    Ralph Melton
    Great pictures, and it gives me a much better understanding of poke. Many thanks.
    A really naive question: is "poke" pronounced "poke", or "pok-eh"?

Poke (English pronunciation: /poʊˈkeɪ/)
    Great pictures and it looks terrific.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:EdSails does homemade Hawaiian Poke 2011/04/22 00:57:45 (permalink)
    Thanks, foodbme. It tasted delicious. 
    Ralph, foodbme is right about the pronunciation. However, being the child of the 60's that I was, I can't help but usually pronounce it Pokey. Just watched too many Gumby shows growing up I guess!
    post edited by EdSails - 2011/04/22 06:21:59
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5099
    Re:EdSails does homemade Hawaiian Poke 2011/04/22 09:48:24 (permalink)
    Ed, you might like this recipe for Tuna Tartare from Hubert Keller.  I saw it on "Secrets of a Chef" last night and thought of your Poke Festival thread.

Brad
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:EdSails does homemade Hawaiian Poke 2011/04/22 12:43:44 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

Ed, you might like this recipe for Tuna Tartare from Hubert Keller.  I saw it on "Secrets of a Chef" last night and thought of your Poke Festival thread.

Brad

Interesting recipe, Brad. A lot of the traditional poke elements along with olive oil, cucumber and the lotus root, along with the noticable omission of the chili pepper flakes. An interesting variation I must try. But serve 8-10? If it's as good as it looks, I would call it wrong for 8-10 people. The most I would share it with would be one other person!
    pnwchef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2423
    Re:EdSails does homemade Hawaiian Poke 2011/04/22 15:49:39 (permalink)
     Aloha Ed, Great job as always, thanks for the trip around the Island.........Aloha and Mahalo..............
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:EdSails does homemade Hawaiian Poke 2011/04/22 16:42:05 (permalink)
    A Southerner's version of poke.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:EdSails does homemade Hawaiian Poke 2011/04/22 16:49:03 (permalink)
    MellowRoast

A Southerner's version of poke.

These are Fake! AND they spelled it wrong too!
    Poke Sallet greens are NOT grown organically.
    Poke sallet greens grow along the highways & byways of America!
    They're covered with road dust, leaking oil and Diesel fumes!!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/04/22 16:54:16
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:EdSails does homemade Hawaiian Poke 2011/04/22 16:50:15 (permalink)
    Thank you MellowRoast, that's where my brain went immediately.  I was like, they have a festival for that?  But the tartare connection makes a lot more sense--thanks Ed!  That's gorgeous food!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:EdSails does homemade Hawaiian Poke 2011/04/22 16:55:37 (permalink)
    Nancypalooza

Thank you MellowRoast, that's where my brain went immediately.  I was like, they have a festival for that?  But the tartare connection makes a lot more sense--thanks Ed!  That's gorgeous food!

There's a festival for everything in America!
    http://www.harlanfestivals.com/poke_sallet.htm
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:EdSails does homemade Hawaiian Poke 2011/04/22 17:44:19 (permalink)
    Thanks, Nancy. I'll bear up under everyone Poke-ing fun at my topic.

agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:EdSails does homemade Hawaiian Poke 2011/04/23 07:41:36 (permalink)
    Great job Ed. Every time I think, wow, I know so much about food, I learn something else! Great pictures.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:EdSails does homemade Hawaiian Poke 2011/04/23 14:05:29 (permalink)
    Thanks, Agnesrob. Food is amazing, I agree. Especially as I've expanded my list of ethnic cuisines that I enjoy, it amazes me that some of my favorite things to eat I had never even dreamed existed a few years ago. And some of the things I have discovered by accident---who would have believed that a 3AM stop for gas in Slldell, Louisiana would yield a freshly baked crawfish etouffee hand pie, one of the most delicious things I've ever tasted?
    I give a lot of credit to my now old but still good Canon Powershot A540. I can't replace it-----partially because the newer cameras don't have viewfinders and I am old school when it comes to that------for anything except inside closeups of food I don't like to depend on an LCD screen. Plus, with Picasa I can always correct lighting and color later so I figure if I take plenty of pics, I can get something that looks good. My next task is learning iPhoto and seeing if that will work even better than Picasa, but for now I know the camera and Picasa's capabilities so it really makes the chances that I can get good photos, even with tough lighting, possible. 
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:EdSails does homemade Hawaiian Poke 2011/04/23 14:05:29 (permalink)
    Thanks, Agnesrob. Food is amazing, I agree. Especially as I've expanded my list of ethnic cuisines that I enjoy, it amazes me that some of my favorite things to eat I had never even dreamed existed a few years ago. And some of the things I have discovered by accident---who would have believed that a 3AM stop for gas in Slldell, Louisiana would yield a freshly baked crawfish etouffee hand pie, one of the most delicious things I've ever tasted?
    I give a lot of credit to my now old but still good Canon Powershot A540. I can't replace it-----partially because the newer cameras don't have viewfinders and I am old school when it comes to that------for anything except inside closeups of food I don't like to depend on an LCD screen. Plus, with Picasa I can always correct lighting and color later so I figure if I take plenty of pics, I can get something that looks good. My next task is learning iPhoto and seeing if that will work even better than Picasa, but for now I know the camera and Picasa's capabilities so it really makes the chances that I can get good photos, even with tough lighting, possible. 
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:EdSails does homemade Hawaiian Poke 2011/04/23 17:12:09 (permalink)
    EdSails 
    ---who would have believed that a 3AM stop for gas in Slldell, Louisiana would yield a freshly baked crawfish etouffee hand pie, one of the most delicious things I've ever tasted?

There's a lot of things that can happen to you at 3 AM in Slidell, LA!" />" />

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1