Eddie's Long Bar ? Newark NJ

Author
ken8038
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1587
2007/12/24 17:23:07 (permalink)

Eddie's Long Bar ? Newark NJ

This is the place that got a very favorable review of thier burgers in the Star Ledger by Pete Genovese a few years ago. I'm finally thinking of making a trek since I have off the day after Christmas.

Has anyone been there recently? Are they still making burgers? I believe Eddie was in his 80's when the article was written.

Also, I'm not afraid of old bars and/or seedy neighborhoods, but my wife may decide to join me. If this is the kind of place where I might feel uncomfortable bringing her along, I'd just go by myself and get an extra burger to go if they are really good.

Thanks for any help or comments. --Ken

8 Replies Related Threads

ken8038
    RE: Eddie's Long Bar ? Newark NJ 2007/12/27 17:05:53 (permalink)
    I'll answer my own post to save anyone else the trouble of making the trek into this totally isolated (surrounded by US 1 and various railroad tracks) area of Newark. After over 60 years in business Eddie's has closed and is for sale. It's amazing how many times this has happened to me, I finally get to an old old place only to find it has recently gone out of business. Anyway, it looked like an interesting old place. I guess Eddie has died, although I couldn't find anything on the web.

coasterdog
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Eddie's Long Bar ? Newark NJ 2007/12/30 20:21:36 (permalink)
    Phyllis' Giant Burger has been voted best in Marin County four several years running - Now they have one in Sonoma County as well. Good quality beef - cooked how you like to order. The Standard Giant Burger is a 1/2# patty w/ choice of cheeses (American, Swiss, Cheddar, Pepperjack, Meunster, Bleu)Lettuce, tomato. onion, mustard, catsup & Mayo. Well put together and very tasty!
    Their fries are excellent as well.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Eddie's Long Bar ? Newark NJ 2007/12/30 22:53:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by coasterdog

Phyllis' Giant Burger has been voted best in Marin County four several years running - Now they have one in Sonoma County as well. Good quality beef - cooked how you like to order. The Standard Giant Burger is a 1/2# patty w/ choice of cheeses (American, Swiss, Cheddar, Pepperjack, Meunster, Bleu)Lettuce, tomato. onion, mustard, catsup & Mayo. Well put together and very tasty!
    Their fries are excellent as well.

sounds delicious, but how did Marin County get mixed in with Ken's "Newark quest"..

p.s. Sorry to hear you missed out on Eddie's. I had not heard of the place, but I know the feeling. (finding out a place just closed before you had a chance to experience it)

That happened to me recently in downtown Charleston, SC. I wanted to try the dive "My Fathers Place" by the railroad tracks , (I believe that was the name, anyway) supposed to be a real good burger...I had read the reviews in the weekly "what's happening" guide, etc..
    apparently they had just closed... (I may never know why)

But often it is a sad reality that it is cause of the owner(s) dying.

There used to be a real good small Kosher deli/market in North Hollywood, CA on Burbank Blvd called Drexlers. (by Woodman Ave, I believe) I used to go to it in the 1980's. Great pastrami, normal size, for like 5 dollars..
    owned by an older couple.. they were probably in their 80's ..
    Well, they've been gone at least 10 years already, and so is the good little dive "Drexlers"... RIP

ken8038
    RE: Eddie's Long Bar ? Newark NJ 2007/12/31 10:10:04 (permalink)
    <<sounds delicious, but how did Marin County get mixed in with Ken's "Newark quest"..>>

Yes, I was wondering that too. That corner of Newark is about as far removed from Marin County (geographically as well as in many other ways) as possible. Maybe if I had seen that post earlier I could have made a U-Turn in front of Eddie's and headed west!

Happy New Year Everyone. Here's to more great Roadfooding in 2008!
    foobuc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 150
    RE: Eddie's Long Bar ? Newark NJ 2008/01/01 17:50:16 (permalink)
    my friend had that as an account and we used to go there very now and then for lunch on Fri when up at the office. However, the waitress would carry stuff in a rather non hygenic way. The last straw was when another co worker had a hair of sorts in his shrimp? salad. Now if that stuff doesn't bother you i guess it would have been ok. i had heard from the guy who had the account that it had closed.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Eddie's Long Bar ? Newark NJ 2008/01/01 22:55:13 (permalink)
    Ken,
    Here's a place, Krug's Tavern, The Star-Ledger's Pete Genovese also wrote about a few years ago, also known for its huge hamburgers, and also Down Neck (Ironbound section) Newark, N.J.

I've been meaning to get down there for their 1/4 lb. Best Provision Hot Dog.

http://www.nj.com/dining/reviews_ledger.ssf?8884?8884

The Bear
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Eddie's Long Bar ? Newark NJ 2008/01/01 23:57:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScreenBear

Ken,
    Here's a place, Krug's Tavern, The Star-Ledger's Pete Genovese also wrote about a few years ago, also known for its huge hamburgers, and also Down Neck (Ironbound section) Newark, N.J.

I've been meaning to get down there for their 1/4 lb. Best Provision Hot Dog.

http://www.nj.com/dining/reviews_ledger.ssf?8884?8884

The Bear

hi Mike ,
    sounds intriguing..
    and I'm more inclined than ever to patronize these NJ "bar and grill" places now, ever since there's no smoking allowed!!
    It's makes the whole experience much more pleasurable for me.
    ken8038
    RE: Eddie's Long Bar ? Newark NJ 2008/01/02 09:52:38 (permalink)
    Bear: I went to Krug's several years ago. Another great old time place. I'm glad to know it's still going. As I recall, I had the shrimp, and it was excellent. Maybe we can take a ride Down Neck someday.

Ellen: Boy do I agree with you about the smoking thing. I just spent last Saturday doing a chicken wing trip to several bars in Eastern Pa (which I will write aboout when I get the time)and I had forgotten how smelly bars and my clothes can get when smoking is permitted.

That being said, I'm conflicted about the whole "smoking in bars" thing. It's probably true that banning smoking does hurt blue collar bars, and even though I am "white collar" I much prefer many blue collar bars to most yuppie bars, and I'd hate to see any of them fold because of a ban on smoking. I figure if I'm on thier turf, I'll just have to deal with it.
    --Ken
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1