Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1946
2007/01/19 09:43:32 (permalink)

Egg Dunking

What do you dunk in your egg yolks?

I worked with some English contractors a few years back and they were revolted to see me dunk my Syrup-covered Pancakes in the yolk of my over-mediums.

"My boy, Ya can't be eatin' somethin' sweet with somethin' savory! 'Ave ya gone mad?!"

I also like dunking my Buttered Cinnamon Roll in the yolk.

Sound strange to you? Or is it normal behavior.......

61 Replies Related Threads

Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/19 09:48:27 (permalink)
    If i don't mix my eggs with my cheese covered hashbrowns, I dunk toast, buttered toast. I'm boring.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/19 10:01:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

If i don't mix my eggs with my cheese covered hashbrowns, I dunk toast, buttered toast. I'm boring.
    Subtract the cheese and add breakfast sausage, either link or patty. And boring is good: me, too.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/19 10:02:01 (permalink)
    A friend of mine from West Virginia used to go so far as to put an over medium egg or two between syrup covered pancakes. It looked disgusting but I have to admit that I tried and it was pretty good.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15275
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/19 10:23:53 (permalink)

Add a drop or two of Red Tabasco to the yoke before the dunking begins and then ALL OF THE ABOVE would qualify for me !
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/19 10:33:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hatteras04

A friend of mine from West Virginia used to go so far as to put an over medium egg or two between syrup covered pancakes. It looked disgusting but I have to admit that I tried and it was pretty good.

Sounds similar to that thing McD's does (did). A McGriddle, I think. Pancake-like sandwich with pockets of syrup-ene. I tried one once. Seemed to be suffering an identity crisis.

As a kid I thought sweet and savory weren't supposed to mix, until one day some syrup got on my sausage. I thought I'd discovered an undiscovered secret until I told my Dad and he told me about some folks in the South who put syrup on meat and just about anything else.

As for egg yolk, my dippers are toast (preferably wheat), home fries, sausage and bacon. With hash browns and hash, I prefer the yolk to flow over these rather than to dip them in.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1509
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/19 11:00:28 (permalink)
    It would be easier to ask, what DON'T I dip in my yolks? Hashbrowns, breakfast meats, breakfast breads of all stripes are fair game!
    CENTRALVA
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/19 11:07:43 (permalink)
    Here is my favorite way to enjoy egg yolks. Split a large cathead biscuit and lay it on a plate, lay a fried egg sunny side up on each biscuit half and cover everything with sausage gravy. The combination of the yolk, biscuit, and the gravy is unreal!
    susanll
    • Total Posts : 1077
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/19 11:16:30 (permalink)
    Okay, I have to ask ..... what is a cathead biscuit?
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/19 11:21:05 (permalink)
    I like my eggs sunny side up, and will dip just about anything......

As a kid, it would be "syrup" bread.....King syrup that is. Now I lean towards buttered wheat toast or whatever breakfast food ends up on the same plate as my eggs!

What I really like to do is eat the white around the yolk.....then pick the whole unmolested yolk up and place it on the corner of my toast and eat the whole yolk in one bite.....delicious.
    MBFDFyre
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 243
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/19 11:58:10 (permalink)
    Instead of dipping things into the yolk, I like to cut all the white egg parts away, then put the whole yolk in my mouth at once and chomp down. Love the feeling of the yolk just squishing everywhere.
    IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/19 12:13:05 (permalink)
    Fyre.. I do that too..LOL
    Rusty246
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/19 12:33:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by susanll

Usually a bisquit that is "dropped" opposed to rolled out.
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/19 12:48:22 (permalink)
    quote:

I Googled a bit and found this..........

A cathead biscuit gets its name from the shape. They are not rolled or cut; they are pinched - sort of!

Ingredients:

pre sifted self rising flour approximately 3 cups
    budda milk [for those of you who don't understand buttermilk]
    shortnin [Crisco shortening]

Pour your pre sifted flour in a medium mixing bowl, cut into the flour two tablespoons of shortnin until well integrated in the flour and no lumps remain. After cutting in the shortnin, add budda milk to get your dough mixture to the consistency of cake batter.

Do not over stir or mix. You want your batter where it easily pours from the bowl.

Once ingredients are mixed, you will be ready to make yo biscuits.

Have a flat surface that is well floured with your pre sifted self rising flour....prolly a cup or three, spread thin to accomodate the batter when poured. Pour the batter on to the flour on your flat surface. Don't waste time; immediately start folding your batter into the flour. Fold until the batter is no longer sticky to the touch. [tip, flour your hands well so the batter does not stick to your hands prior to starting and continue to do that throughout the process]

Once your dough is of a consistency that is easy to handle, you are ready to make your biscuits.

Place your biscuits in a greased, floured pan. To make the biscuits, pinch off a small handful of dough [make sure you have floured your hands again!] and gently roll it around your palms. Place the dough ball in your pan and gently press to a semi flattened state and repeat until dough is all gone.

Scoot that pan in a preheated oven of 425 degrees and cook for approximately 25 - 30 minutes or until tops are golden brown. These are also easily cooked in a Dutch oven by the fire!! Usually some coals on the top help out with a Dutch oven.

Top em off with some Tomato gravy! Use drippings from your meat of choice; add to the drippings flour, salt and pepper and brown. Then, instead of water or milk, use a can of diced tomatoes for your liquid. You can add additional water if the gravy is too thick. YUMMY!!!!!
    Rusty246
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/19 12:51:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:

I Googled a bit and found this..........

A cathead biscuit gets its name from the shape. They are not rolled or cut; they are pinched - sort of!

Ingredients:

pre sifted self rising flour approximately 3 cups
    budda milk [for those of you who don't understand buttermilk]
    shortnin [Crisco shortening]

Pour your pre sifted flour in a medium mixing bowl, cut into the flour two tablespoons of shortnin until well integrated in the flour and no lumps remain. After cutting in the shortnin, add budda milk to get your dough mixture to the consistency of cake batter.

Do not over stir or mix. You want your batter where it easily pours from the bowl.

Once ingredients are mixed, you will be ready to make yo biscuits.

Have a flat surface that is well floured with your pre sifted self rising flour....prolly a cup or three, spread thin to accomodate the batter when poured. Pour the batter on to the flour on your flat surface. Don't waste time; immediately start folding your batter into the flour. Fold until the batter is no longer sticky to the touch. [tip, flour your hands well so the batter does not stick to your hands prior to starting and continue to do that throughout the process]

Once your dough is of a consistency that is easy to handle, you are ready to make your biscuits.

Place your biscuits in a greased, floured pan. To make the biscuits, pinch off a small handful of dough [make sure you have floured your hands again!] and gently roll it around your palms. Place the dough ball in your pan and gently press to a semi flattened state and repeat until dough is all gone.

Scoot that pan in a preheated oven of 425 degrees and cook for approximately 25 - 30 minutes or until tops are golden brown. These are also easily cooked in a Dutch oven by the fire!! Usually some coals on the top help out with a Dutch oven.

Top em off with some Tomato gravy! Use drippings from your meat of choice; add to the drippings flour, salt and pepper and brown. Then, instead of water or milk, use a can of diced tomatoes for your liquid. You can add additional water if the gravy is too thick. YUMMY!!!!!

Well, I got the "not rolled" part right! I never knew so much when into a cathead bisquit. I think I'll stick to dropping.LOVE tomato gravy!
    susanll
    • Total Posts : 1077
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/19 12:55:40 (permalink)
    Thanks. My learnin' for the day.
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 706
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/19 13:32:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hatteras04

Wow, that's a good idea- I usually put the eggs on top of the stack. I'll have to try that next time, though.

I like putting it over corned beef hash, too, especially at Walker Bros/Original Pancake House. Yum!!
    CENTRALVA
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/19 14:10:33 (permalink)
    Cathead biscuits- Biscuits either dropped,cut,pinched? I don't know for sure but my grandma made her biscuits extra large in diameter and grandpa would exclaim "damn, them biscuits is bigger than a cat's head!" There you go.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6385
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/19 14:58:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jennifer_4

It would be easier to ask, what DON'T I dip in my yolks? Hashbrowns, breakfast meats, breakfast breads of all stripes are fair game!

I would have to agree with you, ANYTHING on the breakfast plate is fair game to sop up the egg innards.

or get your grits and dump them into the plate and cut up the egg and breakfast meat mix it all together and eat it on toast.

fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/19 14:59:11 (permalink)
    A slice of raw white onion.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/19 15:00:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by desertdog

What do you dunk in your egg yolks?

I worked with some English contractors a few years back and they were revolted to see me dunk my Syrup-covered Pancakes in the yolk of my over-mediums.

"My boy, Ya can't be eatin' somethin' sweet with somethin' savory! 'Ave ya gone mad?!"

I also like dunking my Buttered Cinnamon Roll in the yolk.

Sound strange to you? Or is it normal behavior.......

This comes from the people who eat black pudding for breakfast.

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/19 15:02:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CENTRALVA

Cathead biscuits- Biscuits either dropped,cut,pinched? I don't know for sure but my grandma made her biscuits extra large in diameter and grandpa would exclaim "damn, them biscuits is bigger than a cat's head!" There you go.

That's what Gram Pat would say when she made her drop biscuits.

"them things got bigger than the cat's head"
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8359
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/19 15:07:22 (permalink)
    I must agree with everyone here-I dunk whatever is on the plate in my yolk-except fresh fruit...
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/19 15:36:35 (permalink)
    When I worked the graveyard shift on patrol, we, being, higway patrol, county sheriff's and/or city police would stop for breakfast at the local restuarant, whose early morning gut bomb special was what they called pigs in a blanket.
    This was basically a pancake triple decker sandwich. 1st layer was a pancake, followed by 2 strips of bacon, then 1 egg, a 2nd pancake was put on top followed by two sausage patties, then another egg on taop. Then add a third pancake - cover with butter and syrup - then try to eat.

I resisted for months, then tried one, didn't particularly care for the syrup and pancakes mixed with my eggs and meats. It sat in my gut for the longest time, and for any of you who have worked graveyard shifts know that sometimes your bodily functions aren't always in sync. Well, that little gastronomical delight didn't completely leave the system for about 3 days.

So it was back to my regular two eggs sunny side up a side of meat, buttered wheat toast and sliced tomatoes. I like to dip my toast in the egg yolk.
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2093
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/19 16:15:29 (permalink)
    Dunk eggs???

Why I just mix my two sunny side-up eggs into the hot buttered grits. I will sop any remnants up with toast, biscuit or sausage that I can’t get on the fork.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5420
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/20 10:51:41 (permalink)
    PP likes to dunk either bacon or sausage. I don't dunk but quite often I'll cut my eggs into my hash browns and add Cholula.

MikeS.
    Trishkaidekaphobia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 133
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/20 11:08:12 (permalink)
    I dunk Marmite toast soldiers into a soft boiled egg. No, I'm not English.
    CasperImproved
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/20 17:52:33 (permalink)
    I love to make breakfast tators (hash browns), and when they are almost finished, add a couple of eggs that would be considered "over easy" at the end. Just need to cover the cooking until the eggs are done. Over easy eggs on hash browns are GREAT with pointy wheat toast ;-)

Casper
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/21 02:54:21 (permalink)
    I dont eat yolks. I barely will even eat an egg.
    But I remember my folks dipping the toast in coffee, and then dipping it into their egg yolks.
    Kinda messy, but whatever floats your boat I guess.
    Kinda like me dunking my oreo cookied in my iced tea.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Egg Dunking 2007/01/21 08:00:31 (permalink)
    Dip toast into the yolks then cut the eggs up and into the home fries.

John
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1