Egg Rolls & Egg Creams Festival in NYC Sunday June 7th, 12pm to 4pm

Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2465
2009/06/04 15:14:44 (permalink)

Egg Rolls & Egg Creams Festival in NYC Sunday June 7th, 12pm to 4pm

Come one, come all to the intersection of Chinese and Jewish cultures! 

http://www.eldridgestreet.org/programs_c.htm

Come to the best block party in downtown – right where Chinatown and the Lower East Side meet. Celebrate the rich cultural traditions of the Jewish and Chinese communities. Klezmer music and Chinese opera, scribal art and calligraphy, Yiddish and Chinese lessons, folk arts and hands-on activities, tours of the Eldridge Street Synagogue and, of course, kosher egg rolls and egg creams!  (the text above courtesy of the eldridgestreet.org website)

Sounds like fun!

6 Replies Related Threads

Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:Egg Rolls & Egg Creams Festival in NYC Sunday June 7th, 12pm to 4pm 2009/06/04 15:32:44 (permalink)
    Kosher egg rolls...That can actually work.

I hope they don't use those lousy duck sauce packets.  Make the real stuff and use thos little plastic cups with the lids.  Good duck sauce is essential to a good egg roll!
    post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/06/04 15:34:45
    Heartburn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re:Egg Rolls & Egg Creams Festival in NYC Sunday June 7th, 12pm to 4pm 2009/06/05 10:32:23 (permalink)
    why are they called egg rolls when they do not contain eggs??????
    Had them once in Mexico when the wrappers where actualy
    made of very thin omeletts
    post edited by Heartburn - 2009/06/05 10:33:29
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 351
    Re:Egg Rolls & Egg Creams Festival in NYC Sunday June 7th, 12pm to 4pm 2009/06/05 10:42:23 (permalink)
    Heartburn

why are they called egg rolls when they do not contain eggs??????
    Had them once in Mexico when the wrappers where actualy
    made of very thin omeletts

The egg roll wrapper is made with egg, as opposed to a spring roll wrapper.

Why are they called egg creams when they don't have either eggs or cream in them?
    billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2465
    Re:Egg Rolls & Egg Creams Festival in NYC Sunday June 7th, 12pm to 4pm 2009/06/05 11:02:47 (permalink)
    From what I understand, the white foam on top (when it is made properly) is suppsed to look like beaten egg whites and it should taste rich & creamy, as though it was made with cream.  I'm working on an egg cream study of NYC and many places seem to have them, but sadly many don't prepare them properly.  No white head, too sweet, not enough fizz, poor balance, but I'm hoping to come up with 1/2 a dozen that I'd be proud to recommend. 

If anyone knows of some old soda fountain type places in the city (more specifically Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens) that make egg creams, I'd love to hear about them and make my way there to try them out!
    zoetmb
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re:Egg Rolls & Egg Creams Festival in NYC Sunday June 7th, 12pm to 4pm 2009/08/02 16:06:45 (permalink)
    In Manhattan, there's the Gem Spa on 2nd Avenue and 8th street that still makes egg creams.  Haven't been there in about five years, but last time I was there, they made a "perfect" egg cream, even though the store clerks were of Indian ethnicity.  I advised the clerk that his egg cream was "perfect" and he returned a very proud smile.  

In Queens, Eddie's Sweet Shoppe on Metropolitan Avenue in Forest Hills still makes great egg creams.  I've never been to Hirsch's in Brooklyn, but they also have a reputation for still making these drinks like they were made 50 years ago.  

Junior's makes egg creams, but I haven't tried them.   Their glasses have etchings to mark the proper amount of syrup and milk.

I happen to like my egg-creams sweet.    

For those who make your own, while it's known that you must use Fox's U-Bet Syrup, Fox's U-Bet, like most other syrup and soda manufacturers, generally uses corn syrup (boo!) or a combination of corn syrup and sugar.   But corn syrup is not kosher for passover, so around passover (in April), most manufacturers put out Kosher for Passover versions of their products and those only contain cane sugar and are far better.     
    badbyron722
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 307
    Re:Egg Rolls & Egg Creams Festival in NYC Sunday June 7th, 12pm to 4pm 2009/08/02 21:23:02 (permalink)
    I love good home-made duck sauce.Usually use hot mustard on egg rolls due to hating that crap in  the packets.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1