Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Egg Salad: How do you like yours.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 34
howard8

• Total Posts: 355
Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Thu, 06/12/03 8:31 AM (permalink)
one of my favorite comfort foods/sandwiches is egg salad. Is it misunderstood, overated or a poor mans substitute for tuna salad. I like mine real basic.
A dozen eggs in a covered pan. When the water boils turn off the heat and set timer for ten minutes. Drain and run cold water to stop the cooking. I use one of those plastic egg slicers and slice horizontally and then vertically. I finish the process by mashing lightly with a fork. Then, simply a load of Hellmans mayo to taste and salt and pepper. That is it and it is great.
Eaten in a bowl or on white bread just as is or with bacon, or tomato or lettuce. Mmm good. How do you like yours?

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Thu, 06/12/03 8:49 AM (permalink)
    I like my egg salad exactly like yours, Howard8. I'll eat it out of a bowl or spread a little on individual Triscuits.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
      RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Thu, 06/12/03 9:01 AM (permalink)
      I love it that way, too, but sometimes I'll grate up a little Vermont cheddar or baby swiss, sometimes also a little finely chopped onion. It's next to impossible to find an egg salad sandwich in a restaurant down here, so I always have to make them at home. Yum!

meowzart

• Total Posts: 773
        RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Thu, 06/12/03 9:03 AM (permalink)
        I like my egg salad the same way, but with some bacon crumbled in it!! On white toast. Perfection!

Meowzart

lvw

• Total Posts: 90
          RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Thu, 06/12/03 9:21 AM (permalink)
          I put a little chopped pickle in mine sometimes. I like it on soft bread. The softer the better. Mmmm.

Lisa

Sundancer7

RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Thu, 06/12/03 9:22 AM (permalink)
            I definately add relish, onions, hot and mild peppers and mayo. Great with waverly Wafers.

Paul E. Smith
            Knoxville, TN

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
              RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Thu, 06/12/03 10:08 AM (permalink)
              Sweet pickle relish is a must, a well as a small dollop of mustard in with the mayo.

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
                RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Thu, 06/12/03 10:47 AM (permalink)
                I like mine with mayo, a little mustard, S&P a little celery, and depending on my mood sweet relish.

Howard, in my house to cut up the eggs I use an old french fry cutter that belonged to my mom. It's one that was popular in the 50's & I still see it turn up now & again in gadget sections. It's a rectangle abot 3X5 with a cross grid of steel wire (like on a cheese slicer) the holes of the grid are about 1/2 inch square. Just push the egg through & percet dice for salad! It's the only thing I use it for but I wouldn't give it up for anything.

lvw

• Total Posts: 90
                  RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Fri, 06/13/03 11:11 AM (permalink)
                  So, who went home last night and made egg salad sandwiches for dinner?

Me. And I just had another for "brunch."

Yumm.
                  lw

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
                    RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Fri, 06/13/03 12:39 PM (permalink)
                    Try this variation: eggs, chopped green olives instead of relish, Lawry's seasoned salt, and Miracle Whip instead of Mayo.

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Fri, 06/13/03 1:33 PM (permalink)
                      Just had my egg salad on Wasa brand light rye crackers!

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                        RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Fri, 06/13/03 1:58 PM (permalink)
                        I like to grate some onion into it and sprinkle with paprika, so it's like a deviled egg sandwich

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                          RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Fri, 06/13/03 3:09 PM (permalink)
                          My egg salad is just chopped eggs, mayo salt and pepper but here's what I make with it: (all bread the spongy kind and has the crusts trimmed off)
                          1. slice of white bread
                          2. layer of cream cheese mixed with finely chopped green olives
                          3. slice of whole wheat bread
                          4. layer of egg salad
                          5. slice of white bread
                          Cut into quarters.

VibrationGuy

• Total Posts: 229
                            RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Fri, 06/13/03 4:11 PM (permalink)
                            Chives. Gives you a nice onion/garlic flavor, without overly pungent bits.

Mustard. Because without mustard, it's eggs floating in egg-bound oil.

Pickle juice. Piquancy without too much texture; I like relish as much or more than the next guy, but to get enough "pickle" flavor sometimes takes more volume of relish than I'm willing to abide. Thus, pickle juice.

Shallots. If I feel hoity-toity, and I've got my Microplane handy.

Eric

howard8

RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Fri, 06/13/03 5:07 PM (permalink)
                              I do add at times a teaspoon of, forgive me Dijon mustard. All you all Southern afficionados, please tell me; what kind of pickle relish or pickles do you add?

Lovie

• Total Posts: 31
                                RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Tue, 06/17/03 12:23 AM (permalink)
                                I am not southern but northern and like Vibration Guy I only eat my eggsalad when there are chives. There for it is only a summer dish for me. I do not like it on bread but on Breton crackers. Sometimes with a little fresh dill thrown in.

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
                                  RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Tue, 06/17/03 8:01 AM (permalink)
                                  Egg salad is one of my all time favorites. When I was growing up we called them "Smushed Egg" sandwiches !!

I just smash the egg with a fork, add mayo, salt and pepper and put on whole wheat toast ! Sometimes I add a slice of cheese (provalone is my favorite) !

Sundancer7

RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Wed, 06/18/03 1:23 PM (permalink)
                                    I like just about all the ingredients listed in the above post, but I alway add hot peppers and a generous dash of Cholula. It elevates the delicous egg taste.

Paul E. smith
                                    Knoxville, TN

howard8

RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Thu, 06/19/03 10:16 AM (permalink)
                                      I will add chives to my next batch of egg salad. I have a huge amount of chives growing in the garden.
                                      Sundancer7 What is Cholula?

Sundancer7

RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Thu, 06/19/03 10:41 AM (permalink)
                                        Cholula is a favorite hot sauce that is available at Walmart. It is bright orange and has a wood top. It is not as most other sauces and in my opinion much more flavorable.

Paul E. Smith
                                        Knoxville, TN

JaneDough

• Total Posts: 127
                                          RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Wed, 07/16/03 12:45 AM (permalink)
                                          I'll try to keep things on a positive note, but first I must admit that the best way I like egg salad is on someone else's plate. I'll eat almost anything, but I can't STAND the rubbery texture, taste or sight of egg white (unless it's baked as a crispy meringue or dacquoise disc). I DO like the TASTE of egg salad, however, so I find that I can enjoy the taste w/o the texture if I grate the eggs using a fine grater. Then the pieces of white are so fine they kinda get lost in the mashed yolks and mayo. (Hellman's is a MUST!) I also add sea salt, some fresh pepper, touch of Dijon mustard and splash of hot sauce. Then I smother it inside two hefty slices of fresh sweet challah (braided egg bread), brioche or croissant, if they're available. Oh, don't forget the slab of bright red meaty Jersey tomato, and some lettuce (one of the few times I will eat iceberg). Wait a minute... I think I better go put up some eggs right now!

JaneDough

emmymom

• Total Posts: 94
                                            RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Wed, 07/16/03 12:53 AM (permalink)
                                            Must be Hellman's mayo. Then mash hard cooked eggs with a fork, add mayo, minced onion, grated carrot, and chopped dill. A little salt and fresh ground pepper. The best! (all modesty aside.) I like it on wheat crackers.

kangolpimp

• Total Posts: 119
                                              RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Wed, 07/16/03 6:40 AM (permalink)
                                              For those who enjoy mustard in their egg salad try Colman's powdered mustard. This is very strong as those who've used it know, so a little goes a long way. I like the taste of mustard in egg salad, but I dislike what some of the more robust wet mustards can do to the color and texture, especially if you let it sit in the fridge when you don't consume all of it at once. Colman's solves this problem for me. If I crave the feel of wet mustard, I will spread some Maille brand Dijon mustard very lightly on the bread for a sandwich. Maille is the perfect taste for egg salad, in my opinion. Rather than sprinkling hot paprika or cayenne into the entire batch, I always opt to do this for my individual sandwiches, again for aesthetic reasons. I need to see a bright yellow fresh-looking product when I go to get some out of the fridge the next day, and paprika or cayenne leaves it too ruddy. Specks of black pepper are fine, they can be added without ruining the visual for me.

drpep

• Total Posts: 335
                                                RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Wed, 07/16/03 11:11 AM (permalink)
                                                Just the eggs and mayo and black pepper. No olives celery or any thing else. And a side of potato chips.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                                                  RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Thu, 07/17/03 10:57 AM (permalink)
                                                  Preparing egg salad without "Durkee's Famous Sauce" is simply a crime.

kangolpimp

• Total Posts: 119
                                                    RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Thu, 07/17/03 11:35 AM (permalink)
                                                    I really enjoy Durkee's Famous Sauce - but lock me up, I have never added it to the egg salad proper, but I have often used it spread on the bread for egg salad sandwiches. Do you use it in place of the mayo, or in addition to?

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                                                      • Location: Tallahassee, FL
                                                      RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Thu, 07/17/03 11:41 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by kangolpimp

I really enjoy Durkee's Famous Sauce - but lock me up, I have never added it to the egg salad proper, but I have often used it spread on the bread for egg salad sandwiches. Do you use it in place of the mayo, or in addition to?

Usually in addition to the mayo & mustard, but there are times when I just use Durkee's, also. And also, BTW..., egg salad is also good with just a bit of prepared horseradish thrown in, too...

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                                                        • Location: Natchitoches, LA
                                                        RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Thu, 07/17/03 2:34 PM (permalink)
                                                        Eggs
                                                        Hellman's, always
                                                        A touch of mustard
                                                        S & P
                                                        Dill or sweet pickle relish, depending on my mood.
                                                        Plain light bread

Linda Gebhardt

• Total Posts: 61
                                                          RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Fri, 07/25/03 12:08 AM (permalink)
                                                          Eggs, Hellman's mayo, a little celery salt, pile on soft white bread. Consume with potatoe chips and a dill pickle.

gramjack

• Total Posts: 7
                                                            • Joined: 10/18/2003
                                                            • Location: sunman, IN
                                                            RE: Egg Salad: How do you like yours. Sun, 10/19/03 1:41 PM (permalink)
                                                            got to have onion and celery is mine mustard annnnd miracle whip

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 34

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com