Egg Salad

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
FrankBooth
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Egg Salad 2008/01/23 00:36:32 (permalink)
Eisenberg's is one of the best egg salad's in NYC- also amazing tuna salad there- get a tuna salad egg salad combo there- superb! also great is Lexington Candy Shop on UES- fabulous straight up old school egg salad. add bacon at any of these places for a snarky perfect egg salad treat. enjoy fb
tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 560
RE: Egg Salad 2008/01/24 00:09:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

quote:
Originally posted by tacchino

Calling poster NYNM, because I think she mentioned she lives in the neighborhood....

Can you verify that the egg salad at that little place on Fifth Avenue near the Flatiron Building in Manhattan is still fantastic? A really small space, major lunch business for the area, but the egg salad and tuna salad were (and I hope still are) absolutely tops...it (the egg salad) used to get write-ups all the time in the New York press.

What was (and hopefully still is) the name of the place? Eisenberg's, or something similar? I can't believe I've forgotten.

Yes that old ratty place is still there amidst the new $3,000,000 one bedroom room condos being built. Eisenbergs it is, and they specialize in tuna salad also. I've never had egg salad there (don't really like egg salad) but, in your honor, I will check it out tomorrow. My office is one short block south of it.

Enjoy, NYNM...I'm glad Frank Booth agrees with me that it is excellent.
What side of the street are those condos going up on? Did they tear down something recently?
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3738
RE: Egg Salad 2008/01/24 00:16:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fabulousoyster

I make it best.
Hard boiled eggs, hellman's mayo, salt and pepper and smokey paprika.

I cannot understand responses like this. The question, as I understand it, was where would you get one in a restaurant. Therefore, the one that you make and declare the best does not answer the poster's question at all.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
RE: Egg Salad 2008/01/25 00:15:28 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

quote:

Calling poster NYNM, because I think she mentioned she lives in the neighborhood....

Can you verify that the egg salad at that little place on Fifth Avenue near the Flatiron Building in Manhattan is still fantastic? A really small space, major lunch business for the area, but the egg salad and tuna salad were (and I hope still are) absolutely tops...it (the egg salad) used to get write-ups all the time in the New York press.

What was (and hopefully still is) the name of the place? Eisenberg's, or something similar? I can't believe I've forgotten.

Yes that old ratty place is still there amidst the new $3,000,000 one bedroom room condos being built. Eisenbergs it is, and they specialize in tuna salad also. I've never had egg salad there (don't really like egg salad) but, in your honor, I will check it out tomorrow. My office is one short block south of it.

Enjoy, NYNM...I'm glad Frank Booth agrees with me that it is excellent.
What side of the street are those condos going up on? Did they tear down something recently?

So, I went today to Eisenbergs and tried the egg salad, as promised. It set me back $5.75 (Golden eggs?), However, the tuna salad/egg salad sandwich was $7.75 so I guess that's a bargain.

Eisenberg is really a funky place. The sign says it began in 1929 and I don't think it's changed at all since. There is usually a witty placard outside; today it said: "Enough with the resolutions already - come on inside and have a life."

The sandwich was so-so. It was loaded with lots of egg salad, plus lettuce and tomato. It tasted really fresh. But bland. I shook on a little Trujuillo of Nambe Farms Chili Seasoning (my contribution form Santa Fe) which improved the taste. I also remembered why I don't like egg salad: (1) smells like my elementary school lunchroom (2) too mushy (3) (at least the Eisenberg version) lots of egg lumps fell out of the sandwich and on my rug (p.s. egg salad is hard to clean out of a rug). Would I try Eisenbergs again? No. But then, again, I don't like egg salad.

BTW, As to the other part of your comments: This condo virus is not on the blo0ck of Eisenberg's itself, but there are at least 20 condos growing in the immediate area. These are all places where one bedrooms start at $3,000,000. They are totally overpriced, but still selling. They are sprouting like a blight of weeds on sites of recently torn down "Old NY". For some crazy reason, there is no mortagage crisis in Manhattan; apparently these apartments are being bought by wealthy foreigners. I am especially upset because there are serious rumors that my own apartment house will be torn down in a year or two to make room for one of these monsters. In which case I will be homeless. With the real estate market, I'll probably be eating egg salad for the rest of my life!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1