Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1948
2006/02/06 11:06:15 (permalink)

Egg Sandwiches

Hello All,
I hope this is not an old topic, but every once in awhile,
especially when I'm short on pennies, I like to make a fried
egg sandwich. I just put some butter on the skillet, crack
an egg, sprinkle it with salt and pepper, and fry an egg.
Then toast some bread, spread some mayo, and place the fried
egg on the bread, and eat.
I know many would add other things, but I eat mine simple.
It is a good sandwich.
Anyone else do it, and what are your variations?
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

34 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18859
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/06 11:22:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Fieldthistle

Hello All,
    I hope this is not an old topic, but every once in awhile,
    especially when I'm short on pennies, I like to make a fried
    egg sandwich. I just put some butter on the skillet, crack
    an egg, sprinkle it with salt and pepper, and fry an egg.
    Then toast some bread, spread some mayo, and place the fried
    egg on the bread, and eat.
    I know many would add other things, but I eat mine simple.
    It is a good sandwich.
    Anyone else do it, and what are your variations?
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle

A fried egg sandwich is one of my favorite things. If I'm going to eat it standing over the sink, I flip it and make sure the yolk stays very soft. The sink is necessary because with an egg cooked this way there's lots of wonderful leakage. I always make this version on regular white bread spread with mayonnaise and a grating of black pepper. If I'm not going to be at the sink I cook it a bit longer, to over medium, top it with a slice of American cheese and put it on the old white bread with mayonnaise and pepper. Then there are the times when I'm a bit more ambitious. Then, I'll toast the bread, fry up a sausage patty, fry the egg over medium and top it with a cheese slice. I'll then slide the egg onto the toast and add the sausage patty.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/06 11:39:22 (permalink)
    I grew up in coastal NC eating fried egg and fried bologna sandwiches on white bread with mayo and mustard. I think you just helped me decide what to have for lunch since I am home today.

Dennis in Cary
    mattsgram
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/06 11:40:17 (permalink)
    I like it the same way but with a slice of ripe summer tomato
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/06 11:44:52 (permalink)
    I don't think I've had a fried egg sandwich at home since kindergarten, and it would have been my Dad who cooked it. Of course egg on a roll in it's many permutations is a great diner breakfast to go.

One time when I was a kid my Grandmother made me a scrambled egg sandwich, with a touch of ketchup (which surprised me because my Gramma was not in the ketchup school of cooking). I loved it, and still make one every once in a while.

Another Dad lunch was boiled egg sandwiches. Basically mayo on the bread, sliced egg, salt and pepper and lettuce. That was the day you didn't eat school lunch. Boy, I'd love one right now.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/06 11:54:40 (permalink)
    Ive always been a little odd about eggs, I don't really like the white.. So I don't do fried eggs and egg salad has to be chopped fine. But scrambled or scrambled with cheese or a small omolet on toast or a roll...
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/08 20:07:42 (permalink)
    Not too big on eggs here, but I know lot's of deli's serve bell pepper and egg subs...
    I tried one once, and they arent bad at all.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7281
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/08 20:56:29 (permalink)
    If you did 1800 people on Sunday brunch, do ya think that you'd be into eggs? It ain't happenin. Ok, I can get down a fritatta. Egg sandwiches are out and a scrambled egg is just NASTY. Last time I ate a scrambled on the boat.........well, I won't go there
    Bobs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 244
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/08 21:30:49 (permalink)
    I also love fried egg sandwiches. My preference is for white bread, easy over egg, slice of american cheese, mayo, and some salt and pepper. It is hard to beat this simple treat.
    Scarlett
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/08 21:55:03 (permalink)
    One egg fried like it is for an omelet between whole wheat toast, tomato slice (not too ripe) freshly ground black pepper and sea salt.

morningglory
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 559
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/08 23:18:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bobs

I also love fried egg sandwiches. My preference is for white bread, easy over egg, slice of american cheese, mayo, and some salt and pepper. It is hard to beat this simple treat.

When I was about 15 or 16 (and asked my Dad, for an increase in my $ .75/wk. allowance ), my hard working and enterprising Dad, did what every good Dad should do. He found me a job! LMAO.

It was way out in rural NJ, a little deli type, mom and pop place, with a small snack bar, and dining room. It was the first and only job I had as a waitress. To this day, I cannot understand where their customers came from. It was near Sergeantsville, NJ. From there, I went to nursing school.

Anyway, the couple who owned the place were Lithuanian and very sweet. They alway made me a lunch, and one of my favorites was the "fried egg sandwich". Nothing too special, just buttered white toast, and a fried egg, with a runny yolk, and lots of butter, salt and pepper. Not even any garden goodies. I thought I died and went to heaven. Have not thought of those days, and that taste, until you are all writing about it. Thanks for the memories.

I am now 58 and a RN, and should probably be wiser.....but that's what I think I will make myself for breakfast, in the AM, One cannot live by health, alone.

Thanks for reminding me of quieter, simpler and more gentle times.

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/09 05:54:44 (permalink)
    Mine is 2 eggs cooked hard,sliced bacon,carmilized onions,grilled sliced tomatos,then topped with cheese melted on top of all that, served on a sub or bulkie roll that has been toasted or preferably grilled with butter sprinkled with garlic powder. I call it a Sheppard special. Caution do not eat while driving with this little baby it can get messey. Chow Jim
    linus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/09 08:50:14 (permalink)
    I'm eating with jim!
    That sounds wonderful.
    rjb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/09 09:07:25 (permalink)
    Two scrambled on a hard (kaiser) roll with bacon & american cheese is a Saturday am regular feature. Sometimes with chopped scallions or sliced red onion, jalepenos &/or hot sauce. Prefer my fried eggs soft & they get too goopy for a sandwich -- reminds me of a scene from the movie Quadrophenia. Better on top of country ham or corned beef hash.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/09 10:04:16 (permalink)
    Why meddle with perfection? FT (and others) hit it: fried egg, mayo, S&P, toasted white bread. My dad taught me to use ketchup, but I don't now.

Also, an egg fried in lots of butter, runny yolk but hard albumen, on heavily toast. Pour the sizzling butter on the toast. before you put the egg on it. You get the wonderful leakage and don't have to hurry.

(Anybody remember Brother Dave Gardner's sandwich? "Okra and tomatoes on light bread: lift and eat fast less'n it slip through your fingers." )
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/09 11:44:50 (permalink)
    two fried eggs with a slice of american cheese in between white bread and grilled.

a classic.

Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/09 12:04:39 (permalink)
    Three scrambled eggs, bacon and mayo on toated Arnold white bread.

One of the meals that I miss most from my fat bastard days.
    Williamsburger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/09 15:00:52 (permalink)
    We call 'em "Celt Sandwiches" (long story). They are a favorite "I'm too tired to cook, go out or call for pizza" meals!

Fry bacon. Crack egg over bacon, break yolk a little. When the egg sets flip and cover with shredded cheddar. We usually eat it on regular sandwich bread (sometimes fried in the same pan) but lately we have been eating it on whole wheat hamburger buns.

Cathy
    Old No.7 Brand
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/09 17:31:55 (permalink)
    Egg Sandwiches have always been wierd to me. Looking over this topic, it's strange how the same basic ingredients -Eggs, Bacon and Cheese, can turn out so different depending on the method of cooking, even the order of placement.

Speaking of wierd, one of my favourites sounds like a Pregnant woman's craving, but there's logic behind it.

Hard Boiled Egg
    Semi-dried Figs
    Mustard - Wholegrain or English

The smoothness and creaminess of the egg is so great against the crunchy, gritty, leathery Fig. And as everyone knows, mustard makes everything better.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/09 18:19:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Williamsburger

We call 'em "Celt Sandwiches" (long story). They are a favorite "I'm too tired to cook, go out or call for pizza" meals!

Fry bacon. Crack egg over bacon, break yolk a little. When the egg sets flip and cover with shredded cheddar. We usually eat it on regular sandwich bread (sometimes fried in the same pan) but lately we have been eating it on whole wheat hamburger buns.

Cathy
    Geez Cathy whole wheat now your trying to make it healthy but sounds good. Chow Jim
    jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/09 18:19:40 (permalink)
    Fried egg sandwiches were one of my father's favorites. I remember when I was very young and my mother would make him a couple for lunch - it was always a treat when he would give me a bite. I never wanted a whole one for myself, just a bite of his.

I was never really one to make them, but last year, after he passed away unexpectedly, I found myself craving them. I made them every day for a couple of weeks. A little different, though. He had his with just the egg, salt and pepper and some ketchup on toasted white bread. I prefer mine with some mustard and a slice of cheese. And if I have it on hand (which I rarely do) a sausage patty or some extra-crispy bacon.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/09 19:01:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Old No.7 Brand

Hard Boiled Egg
    Semi-dried Figs
    Mustard - Wholegrain or English

The smoothness and creaminess of the egg is so great against the crunchy, gritty, leathery Fig. And as everyone knows, mustard makes everything better.
    Not weird, but exotic and good. Do you cut up the egg or alternate bites? And in my neck of the woods it's hard to find whole-grain mustard that isn't too heavy on the vinegar or, often, "cajun" seasoning. I like[url='http://www.mustardmuseum.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TRK100']Tracklement's[/url]; do you have any other recommendations that might be available on the 'net, maybe from the [url='http://www.mustardmuseum.com/']Mustard Museum[/url]?

In any event, I'm gonna try it--thanks for the post.
    Old No.7 Brand
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/10 06:21:18 (permalink)
    I usually just cut the Egg lengthways into slices, then depending on the fatness of the Fig, I sometimes half them horizontally. Adding mustard to yoghurt as part of a dressing is always good, it makes a good Pasta sauce too. Recently found I like it in Gravy also.
    Catracks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/11 20:51:18 (permalink)
    Plain omelet fried in extra virgin olive oil on toast. Very fast, very cheap and very good.

I'm a runny yolk hater.
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 634
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/12 06:11:09 (permalink)
    I remember when I was young, my mother made me a fried egg and ketchup sandwich and I threw up fairly quick after I ate it. That was when i was about 4 and i've never been able to eat eggs since. I despise eggs. My oldest sister is the same way too.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/12 07:07:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by linus

I'm eating with jim!
    That sounds wonderful.
    That sounds like a lot of work.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/12 07:21:59 (permalink)
    I just use a small pan with butter and two eggs.I drop a paper plate on the pan and let them cook for a couple of minutes.Salt pepper and Ketchup are my choice,on a solid white bread.I haven't tried mayo but i'm thinking about it.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/12 07:43:39 (permalink)

This post reminded me of how much I loved a scrambled egg sam-itch on buttered white toast when I was a kid. The butter and egg just melded together and soon the juice would run down my chinny-chin-chin. Yummy stuff. Think I will have one this morning.

Catracks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/12 10:19:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    I remember when I was young, my mother made me a fried egg and ketchup sandwich and I threw up fairly quick after I ate it. That was when i was about 4 and i've never been able to eat eggs since. I despise eggs. My oldest sister is the same way too.

I can understand the egg aversion. My eggs must be cooked through and lacy edges on fried eggs are preferable. I cannot stand the smell of hard or soft boiled eggs and poached is out of the question. This all was the result of being forced to eat microwaved rubbery poached eggs (sometimes with the whites not fully cooked.

As another result, I have never forced my daughter to eat anything. At least try. I don't fix special meals either.

I'm sure "Roadfood" is hardly the forum, but I'd love to see a post on food aversions and reasons for such. It's kind of an interesting food subject.
    4fish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Egg Sandwiches 2006/02/13 10:37:37 (permalink)
    I have some little metal rings. I just preheat them in the pan, spray with a little olive oil, then crack the egg in the ring. They're the perfect size to fit on an English muffin.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1