Eggplant Cheesecake

Author
Shirley U. Jest
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
2007/04/27 10:01:56 (permalink)

Eggplant Cheesecake

You all have been emailing me for this recipe.
I've posted it in Desserts and will post here... it's not really a dessert, but more of a side dish, or appetizer.

Sally’s Roasted Eggplant Cheesecake
1 10” cheesecake, serves 10

Ingredients:

1 large eggplant
½ cup whole peeled garlic
6 Tbsp of oil
40 ounces of cream cheese ( five 8 ounce blocks)
2 Tbsp pine nuts
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (garlic bread crumbs suggested)
2 Tbsp of butter
½ tsp of dried thyme
½ cup canned crushed tomatoes (or equivalent fresh)
salt and pepper
pinch of dried parsley
5 eggs
4 Tbsp cornstarch
½ cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
fresh basil and fresh tomato for garnish

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Rub the whole eggplant with 2 Tbsp of oil and place in a roasting pan. Put the ½ cup of whole peeled garlic in the remaining 4 Tbsp of oil in a small, covered oven proof container. Roast both the garlic and the eggplant together for about 40 minutes or until eggplant collapses when touched. Remove the roasted eggplant and garlic from the oven and bring to room temperature.

While eggplant and garlic are roasting, bring the 5 packages of cream cheese to room temperature.

Lightly toast the pine nuts until lightly brown. Combine with the cup of bread cups and 2 Tbsp of melted butter. Press the crumbs, nuts and butter mixture into the bottom of a 10 inch spring form pan.

In a food processor, puree 1/2 the roasted garlic and the eggplant—skin on, stem end removed—until smooth. With motor on, add the ½ tsp of thyme, a pinch of salt and pepper, and ½ cup of crushed tomatoes.

Whip the cream cheese in a large mixing bowl until smooth. This is easier in a stand mixer. Add four whole eggs and one egg yolk, one at a time, beating each until fully incorporated. Beat in 4 Tbsp of cornstarch until smooth, and then add the eggplant puree mixture.
Pour in to prepared crust and bake at 320 for 45 minutes to 1 hour. It will still be jiggly in the middle. Turn the oven off, but leave the pan in the oven for 30 minutes more. It will still be slightly jiggly. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.

Run a knife around the spring form pan to loosen.

Sauce: In a blender, puree the set aside garlic, 1/2 cup of heavy cream, and a pinch of parsley, salt and pepper. Heat until bubbly and pour over the slices of room temperature or slightly warm cheesecake. Garnish with diced fresh tomatoes, julienned fresh basil, and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.

4 Replies Related Threads

LuncheoNette
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Eggplant Cheesecake 2007/07/04 17:23:14 (permalink)
    this is very interesting. I never made eggplant but I am tempted to try this. Thanks
    craven.sean
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Eggplant Cheesecake 2007/07/04 18:15:34 (permalink)
    Oh, my good golly. This looks quite tasty and the basic recipe screams for a million variations. (Mushrooms are calling to me; onions likewise.) Thanks for the tip; I'll be giving it a try the next time I have to bring a dish to a community meal.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7960
    RE: Eggplant Cheesecake 2007/07/08 12:54:30 (permalink)
    I made it and although it looked fantastic, and some liked it I found it rather blah.

Thanks for mailing me the recipe almost 2 years ago!

I might have been expecting something with more of a smoky taste.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Eggplant Cheesecake 2007/07/10 21:24:51 (permalink)
    For some reason, that recipe makes me want to make a tomato pie!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1