Eggs Benedict

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
doug_ua
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 94
2008/02/22 15:42:44 (permalink)

Eggs Benedict

Any thoughts on variations to the classic?

A few of my favorites:

1. Lobster eggs benedict at Atlantic Grill in NYC

2. Regular Bacon, grilled tomato, and fresh spinach at the....Cheesecake Factory. As a side note, has anyone had brunch here - it is quite good here and a great time to go!

3. Smoked Salmom Eggs Benedict - various locations make it well!

40 Replies Related Threads

jettababs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/02/22 16:03:56 (permalink)
    Eggs Pontchartrain, at a wonderful neighborhood breakfast place in New Orleans that my husband and I stumbled across. I'm kicking myself for not writing down the name, but it was a little cafe, in a residential area, lower Garden District I think....

Anyway, Eggs Pontchartrain had toasted english muffins with butter, spicy crawfish, poached eggs, and spicy-ish Hollandaise on top. The crawfish, eggs, and sauce all worked really well together, and there were some great homefries on the side to help mop up the juices.
    Williamsburger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/02/26 14:39:50 (permalink)
    My parents belong to the James River Country Club in Newport News VA and they have (or at least *had* - haven't been there in awhile) a wonderful version of eggs benedict - replace the canadian bacon with crabmeat and cross two aparagus spears atop the eggs before adding the hollandaise. Delicious! I think they call it Eggs Virginian?

I might good to one of my favorite place to get it tonight - Victoria's in Williamsburg. They make it with regular ham (alas, not country ham) or bacon. His hollandaise sauce needs work - a bit thick. But it taste really good.

Cathy
    divefl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/02/26 14:47:35 (permalink)
    Crab Benedict is big in the mid-atlantic region near baltimore and dc. Seen it with a crabcake instead of pork or just loose lump meat.
    juleebella
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/02/26 15:48:01 (permalink)
    Clary's in Savannah does an incredible benedict using crab cakes.
    Robearjr
    • Total Posts : 1102
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/02/26 19:58:11 (permalink)
    Below are the egg dishes offered at Brennan's for brunch. I doubt there is a better place to get variations on poached eggs and Hollandaise sauce than Brennan's.

EGGS SARDOU
    Poached eggs on artichoke
    bottoms nestled in a bed of
    creamed spinach and covered
    with Hollandaise sauce
    Suggested Wine - Fume Blanc

EGGS BAYOU LAFOURCHE
    Poached eggs atop Andouille
    Cajun sausage and Holland
    rusks. Topped with
    Hollandaise sauce.
    Suggested Wine - Gewurztraminer

EGGS BENEDICT
    A traditional dish of poached
    eggs atop Holland rusks and
    Canadian bacon, Topped
    with Hollandaise sauce.
    Suggested Wine - Byron Chardonnay

EGGS ST. CHARLES
    Poached eggs atop
    delicately fried trout with
    Hollandaise sauce.
    Suggested Wine - Fume Blanc

EGGS HUSSARDE
    (A Brennan's Original)
    One of the dishes that put
    "Breakfast at Brennan's" on
    the map. Poached eggs atop
    Holland rusks, Canadian bacon
    and Marchand de Vin sauce.
    Topped with Hollandaise sauce.
    Suggested Wine - Sauvignon Blanc

OYSTERS BENEDICT
    Fresh Gulf oysters fried to
    perfection and served on
    Canadian bacon with
    Hollandaise sauce.

SHRIMP SARDOU
    Deliciously spicy fried shrimp
    atop sliced artichoke bottoms
    nestled in a bed of creamed
    spinach and covered with
    Hollandaise sauce.

EGGS ELLEN
    Grilled filet of salmon topped
    with poached eggs and
    Hollandaise sauce.

EGGS OWEN
    We start with a fine beef hash,
    then add poached eggs and top
    with Marchand de Vin sauce.
    Suggested Wine - Piesporter EGGS SHANNON
    Poached eggs atop fried
    trout, served in a bed of
    creamed spinach and topped
    with Hollandaise sauce.
    Suggested Wine - Sonoma Cutrer Chardonnay

EGGS PORTUGUESE
    Flaky pastry shells filled with
    freshly chopped tomatoes
    sautéed in butter with parsley
    and shallots. Topped with
    poached eggs and covered
    with Hollandaise sauce.
    Suggested Wine - Robert Mondavi Chardonnay

EGGS NOUVELLE ORLÉANS
    Poached eggs served
    on a bed of lump
    crabmeat topped with
    a brandy-cream sauce.

http://www.brennansneworleans.com/breakfastmenu.html

divefl
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/02/26 22:21:17 (permalink)
    Making sure I have this right. Oysters Benedict no eggs? I am very intrigued. Similar textures. I would get it.
    Boop333
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/02/26 23:03:11 (permalink)
    Seafood Benedict replaces the bacon with crab and/or shrimp and/or lobster and/or baby scallops.

Eggs Blackstone substitutes streaky bacon for the ham and adds a tomato slice.

Eggs Florentine substitutes spinach for the ham. Older versions of eggs Florentine add spinach to poached or stirred

Eggs Mornay – eggs covered in Mornay sauce.

Eggs Hussarde substitutes Holland rusks for the English muffin and adds Marchand de Vin sauce.

Salmon Benedict (Also known as Eggs Pacifica, Eggs Montreal, Eggs Royal or Eggs Royale) replaces the bacon with smoked salmon.

Pacific Northwest Eggs Benedict Two Poached Eggs over Wild Alaskan Smoked Salmon on a Toasted English Muffin Covered with Hollandaise Sauce. Can also substitute Dungeness Crab Cakes for English Muffin.

Eggs Sardou substitutes artichoke bottoms and crossed anchovy fillets for the English muffin and ham, then tops the hollandaise sauce with chopped ham and a truffle slice. The dish was created at Antoine's Restaurant in New Orleans in honor of the French playwright Victorien Sardou. A more widespread version of the dish starts with a base of creamed spinach, substitutes artichoke bottoms for the English muffin, and drops the ham.

Artichoke Benedict replaces the English muffin with a hollowed artichoke.

Country Benedict replaces the English muffin, ham, and hollandaise sauce with a biscuit, sausage patties, and country gravy. The poached eggs are replaced with eggs fried to choice

Irish Benedict replaces the ham with corned beef hash or Irish bacon

Eggs Chesapeake replaces bacon with crabcake.

Dutch Benedict replaces the ham or bacon with scrapple. Popular in the eastern region of Pennsylvania.

Veggie Benedict replaces the bacon with avocado and tomato.

The McDonald's Egg McMuffin was created by Herb Peterson, a McDonald's franchisee, in 1972. As a friend of Ray Kroc's, he knew that Kroc liked eggs Benedict. Peterson sought to create a "poor man's version" by replacing the hollandaise with a slice of American cheese. To cook the eggs, Peterson paid a local blacksmith $90 to make a batch of Teflon coated rings. Mainly due to the success of the Egg McMuffin, McDonald's had a monopoly on the fast-food breakfast market until the mid-1980s. Slices of toast may be used instead of the traditional English muffins.

Waffle Benedict replaces the English muffins with a full waffle. It is commonly topped with maple syrup in addition to the hollandaise.

Eggs Benedict Arnold replaces the English muffin with a biscuit and the hollandaise with country gravy, and also cooks the poached egg longer, so that the yolk is fully cooked.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6360
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/02/27 10:08:24 (permalink)
    Talk, talk, talk...

divefl
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/02/27 10:36:03 (permalink)
    I'll take a number 2 please!
    Jeep2000
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/02/27 10:49:51 (permalink)
    The best Eggs Benedict I ever had was the crabby benny at the Egg Toss Bakery Cafe in Bayfield, Wisconsin.
    Eggs served on fried crab cakes, topped with excellent Hollandaise.
    As a side note, they also had the best red raspberry preserves I've ever had, too. I can't wait to go back!
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/02/27 11:13:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by doug_ua

3. Smoked Salmom Eggs Benedict - various locations make it well!

This has been called Eggs Norwegian at a bunch of places and is my wife's favorite; athough the Eggs Maryland (and the like which comtains lump crab meat or crab cake, depending on the restaurant) is a close second.

doug_ua
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/02/27 11:29:14 (permalink)
    Gotta tell ya...I know it probably goes against the "Roadfood" mentality, but the Cheesecake Factory really does a great brunch, including three variations on Eggs Benedict
    baileysoriginal
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 758
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/02/27 17:14:29 (permalink)
    The Oysters Benedict sounds great - but I too didn't see any mention of poached aggs with it. It's not really Benedict without them, is it?
    lynndunham
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 195
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/02/27 18:34:57 (permalink)
    The best benedict I ever had was at a Chart House right on the coast in southern California - I think it was near Carlsbad. They had a benedict made with filet mignon instead of Canadian bacon.
    pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/02/27 18:41:35 (permalink)
    HOLLANDAISE SAUCE
    and its derivatives

1/4 teaspoon peppercorns
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    4 tablespoons cold water
    6 large egg yolks
    2 cups clarified butter (or melted butter), warm
    1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne
    Combine vinegar and peppercorns; reduce in a small saucepan until almost all of the liquid has evaporated. Add the water to the reduction; blend and strain.
    Add the water and reduction to the egg yolks in a large metal bowl over simmering water. Do not allow the bowl to touch the water. Whip the egg yolks with a wire whisk, over the simmering water, until the yolks form ribbons. Gradually add the clarified butter, whipping constantly. Add the lemon juice and cayenne, and adjust the seasonings to taste with salt and pepper. If necessary, place the bowl in a pan of warm (not hot) water until served. When ready to use the sauce, beat evenly with wire whisk for 30 seconds until smooth.

Keep the sauce warm in a bain marie (warm water bath) or a Thermos. Do hot hold for more than 90 minutes; if you need to hold the sauce longer, discard the old one after 90 minutes and make more.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Small sauces from Hollandaise:
    Maltaise sauce
    To 1 quart of Hollandaise, add 2-4 fluid ounces orange juice, from blood oranges if possible, and 2 teaspoons grated orange zest.
    Mousseline sauce
    Whip 1 cup of heavy cream until it forms stiff peaks. Fold into 1 quart Hollandaise. For other quantities, maintain a 1:4 ratio of whipped cream to Hollandaise. Can be flavored further with herbs, juices, etc.

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/sauces/index.html
    Holly Moore
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 313
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/02/27 18:58:44 (permalink)

From Little Pete's in Philadelphia. Best consumed at 3 in the morning while finding one's way home. Instead of Hollandaise Sauce, they brown off mayonnaise.
    Robearjr
    • Total Posts : 1102
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/02/27 19:54:47 (permalink)
    Hollandaise sauce is fairly easy to make. The only thing to remember is to use a double boiler, or I just put a stainless steel bowl inside of a saucepan. I know some people are able to make the sauce in a single pot, but my eggs always curdle when I try it that way.

As for the Oyster Benedict, yes no eggs. The same is true of the shrimp sardou, which is also sans eggs.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/02/28 17:00:14 (permalink)
    When I was at the Grand Traverse Resort we would poach dozens and dozens of eggs. The hollandaise was usually a 36-yolk batch with several pounds of clarified butter. I never used a double boiler....takes too much time. Just put the stainless steel bowl right on the burner and keep whisking. When the yolks make a "ribbon".....time to start adding the butter.
    saltybill
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/06/19 02:04:39 (permalink)
    Bills diner hae a eggs benedict on potato skins that will knock your socks off.Bills diner is in down town Willow Glen CA.
    luscious
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/06/19 21:04:07 (permalink)
    A local breakfast joint here in Victoria does about 12 of them. The best I've had was their Blue Moon Benny Special. pork sausage, sauteed onion, mushroom and cinnamon apples, topped with the requisite poached eggs, hollandaise and sprinkles of blue cheese. It was the perfect balance of sweet and salty. I'm usually a purist or blackstone enthusiast, but I'd take that any day. Yum.

There's also a place in town that makes Jamaican crab cake bennies. Also, ridiculously good. That and you get a pail of johnny cakes with your breaky.
    luscious
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/06/19 21:06:22 (permalink)
    Boop, my dad calls anything with fake hollandaise Eggs Benedict Arnold. Ha ha.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10220
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/06/20 01:40:11 (permalink)
    Redneck Aggs Benedict:
    From the bottom up
    1/2 Biscuit
    Country Ham
    Sliced Garden Tomato
    Poached Agg
    Shredded Cheddar Cheese
    White or Sausage Gravy
    S&P
    Hee Haw!
    BarenakedChef
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/07/05 23:49:51 (permalink)
    My favorite dish in the world! Possibly..The best ones I think I've had were at the Donut Hole in Destin, FL. The hollandaise was to die for, and you could have crab instead of ham if you wanted. Mmmmm.
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/07/07 11:56:15 (permalink)
    Back in the 70's when "cooks" used to get reative on you and tried to force feed you their nightmare treats. This was at a roadside diner close the the Co/Ne line.
    MOCK EGGS BENEDICT>>>>
    I recieved a plate with a halved fnglish muffin. Each had been mounded with sliced HB eggs, then topped w/a mayo that was colored with cherry juice and w/half topped with a maraschino cherry. On the sid came a lovely canned fruit salad. I looked at the open kitchen and saw this tall,skinny geek staring to see how much I relished his creation. The worst was the cherry mayo
    britt
    Williamsburger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/07/11 15:37:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pigface

HOLLANDAISE SAUCE
    and its derivatives

1/4 teaspoon peppercorns
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    4 tablespoons cold water
    6 large egg yolks
    2 cups clarified butter (or melted butter), warm
    1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne
    Combine vinegar and peppercorns; reduce in a small saucepan until almost all of the liquid has evaporated. Add the water to the reduction; blend and strain.
    Add the water and reduction to the egg yolks in a large metal bowl over simmering water. Do not allow the bowl to touch the water. Whip the egg yolks with a wire whisk, over the simmering water, until the yolks form ribbons. Gradually add the clarified butter, whipping constantly. Add the lemon juice and cayenne, and adjust the seasonings to taste with salt and pepper. If necessary, place the bowl in a pan of warm (not hot) water until served. When ready to use the sauce, beat evenly with wire whisk for 30 seconds until smooth.

Keep the sauce warm in a bain marie (warm water bath) or a Thermos. Do hot hold for more than 90 minutes; if you need to hold the sauce longer, discard the old one after 90 minutes and make more.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Small sauces from Hollandaise:
    Maltaise sauce
    To 1 quart of Hollandaise, add 2-4 fluid ounces orange juice, from blood oranges if possible, and 2 teaspoons grated orange zest.
    Mousseline sauce
    Whip 1 cup of heavy cream until it forms stiff peaks. Fold into 1 quart Hollandaise. For other quantities, maintain a 1:4 ratio of whipped cream to Hollandaise. Can be flavored further with herbs, juices, etc.

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/sauces/index.html

If you add tarragon to Hollandaise you great Bearnaise, right?
    Cathy
    russ2304
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 261
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/07/11 16:42:18 (permalink)
    Back in the day, as the kiddies say these days--------the best Eggs Benedict I ever had was in the Oak Room of the Plaza Hotel NYC---before Trump and all that came after------that was and still is the gold standard!

Russ
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/07/11 19:45:44 (permalink)
    Here's an easy foolproof Hollandaise sauce:
    1 egg yolk
    1.3 oz. cold butter
    1/2 tsp. lemon juice (a bit more - as you like)
    ground white pepper to taste
    ( black pepper, cayenne, spices, herbs to your taste if you want)

Place all together in a microwave proof plastic cup (glass or ceramic get too hot) and zap for 10 seconds. Stir vigorously with a chopstick. Zap another 10 seconds, stir, zap, stir, etc. in 10 second intervals for at least one minute total time. Now you have enough excellent Hollandaise for Eggs Benedict for two. The recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.

Cheers, John
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3147
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/07/12 07:30:29 (permalink)
    Blender hollandaise

3 egg yolks
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 cup (1/2 pound) melted sweet butter, heated until bubbling but not brown
    1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice or white wine vinegar

Place egg yolks, salt, pepper and mustard in blender, blend for a few seconds at high speed until you have a smooth frothy mixture. Still at high speed, start adding hot butter in a thin, steady stream, not too slowly. As you add butter, the sauce should thicken. When half the butter has been added, add lemon juice or vinegar. Continue blending until all butter is used. A tablespoon of cream can be added to egg yolk mixture and you can thin it if necessary with some hot water.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Eggs Benedict 2008/07/12 09:23:06 (permalink)
    Before we discovered the Microwave method, we tried the blender method a few times. To us it always tasted uncooked or undercooked - there's just not enough heat in the butter to properly cook the eggs, in our opinion. We're not ones to worry about undercooked eggs as a health problem - hell, we still throw a raw egg into a milkshake now and then, ad we add a barely heated thru egg to our Caesar salad, but we do like our Hollandaise fully cooked.

Cheers, John
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1