The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Eggs Other Than Scrambled On Breakfast Buffets

kangolpimp

• Total Posts: 119
Eggs Other Than Scrambled On Breakfast Buffets Tue, 07/15/03 3:31 AM (permalink)
We are all familiar with the huge vats of scrambled eggs that breakfast buffets put out. Maybe they have a cheesey variant in addition to the plain. Maybe they have a manned omelette station where your omelette can be cooked to order. That is always an improvement on those dreaded vats. But when you think about it, the eggs that go into an omelette are still scrambled. What I want to ask all of you is have you ever been to a breakfast buffet that serves either fried/sunnyside or poached or soft-boiled or any other preparation of eggs other than scrambled? If so, please give the name and the city. I think it's pretty rare, but I'd like to be proven wrong. I have been to only one that served over easy eggs. They were served in a standard metal vat, but managed to stay warm and runny anyway. It's called International Buffet and is in the Inwood section of Manhattan. The food there is Latin American and pretty good. It is open 24 hours, and breakfast is served between 5:00am and noon.

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
    RE: Eggs Other Than Scrambled On Breakfast Buffets Tue, 07/15/03 1:47 PM (permalink)
    "Brunch" buffets often have eggs benedict (I'm in Los Angeles).

VibrationGuy

• Total Posts: 229
      RE: Eggs Other Than Scrambled On Breakfast Buffets Tue, 07/15/03 2:46 PM (permalink)
      Most cruise ship buffets will do eggs to order at the omelette station.

Eric, Who When Faced With "Eggs Any Style" Wants To Say "Expressionist"

Mavlily

• Total Posts: 53
        RE: Eggs Other Than Scrambled On Breakfast Buffets Tue, 07/15/03 3:41 PM (permalink)
        The Log House Restaurant on Route 44 in Barkhamsted, CT has an awesome breakfast buffet on Sunday mornings and they serve poached eggs as well as two variations of scrambled eggs. The poached eggs, perfectly cooked, are served on top of delicious corned beef hash!

Sundancer7

RE: Eggs Other Than Scrambled On Breakfast Buffets Tue, 07/15/03 6:53 PM (permalink)
          I stay at the Marriott facilities all over the USA. The Courtyard, Marriott and JW Marriott all offer eggs fried or fixed to order with their buffet.

So does the Embassey Suites.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5357
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: Eggs Other Than Scrambled On Breakfast Buffets Sun, 07/27/03 1:31 AM (permalink)
            What Paul said about the Marriott facilities, I stay there when I can except when going to Cincy.

MikeS.

seafarer john

RE: Eggs Other Than Scrambled On Breakfast Buffets Sun, 07/27/03 2:50 PM (permalink)
              In a properly made omelet one cannot discern any discrete pieces of yolk or white - the egg is one amorphous mass.

Properly made scrambled eggs should show discrete clots of white and yolk. This is best acheived by breaking the eggs directly into a warm , not hot, buttered pan. (if you are a real fussbudget you can break the eggs into a bowl, examine carefully for bits of shell, etc, etc, and pour carefuly into the pan.)
              Stir the egs gently as that start to set up and continue 'till done to your taste in dryness.

I have watched and admired chefs in hotels throughout the country break the eggs for each order, whip up a bit for an omelet, place in the pan for sunny side up or scrambled and manipulate four pans at a time - wonderful. Can't say I've ever seen an Eggs Benedict or any other poached eggs made at an omelet station, but I'm sure some chefs out there are capable of it.

glf142

• Total Posts: 12
                RE: Eggs Other Than Scrambled On Breakfast Buffets Mon, 08/11/03 1:32 PM (permalink)
                The buffets that I have gone to also serve boiled eggs (I had one of those at a stop several years back) and the ones that are cooked another way. As for sunny-side up, where you eat the yolk of the egg, they don't serve that; better to go for the menu for those kinds of eggs. But most of those places prefer to serve scrambled eggs and those mixed with cheese in their buffets, and those kinds are scooped up within minutes!

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
                  RE: Eggs Other Than Scrambled On Breakfast Buffets Thu, 10/28/04 2:08 PM (permalink)
                  In Worcester Ma.,Maxwell Silverman's Club Maxine on Sunday mornings has a brunch buffet that includeds eggs benidict, as well as a typical omlette station. Eggs Benidict was also a standard buffet fare at the chiefs club at the old NAS So Weymouth airbase.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                    RE: Eggs Other Than Scrambled On Breakfast Buffets Thu, 10/28/04 5:17 PM (permalink)
                    Yeah, plenty of ommelette (sp?) bars. A really good one is Gourmet's Market on Kingston Pike in Bearden. Excellent.

carl reitz

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
                      RE: Eggs Other Than Scrambled On Breakfast Buffets Fri, 10/29/04 9:25 AM (permalink)
                      I got a nice omlette (sp?) at a South Beach hotel brunch a few years ago. The "chef" was an older man who was very friendly and helpful. On the way out I commented to the manager that he was lucky to have such a good employee. He laughed and said it was the other way around, because the hotel company CEO liked to fly in from New York so that he could cook eggs at the Sunday brunch.

max4951

• Total Posts: 9
                        RE: Eggs Other Than Scrambled On Breakfast Buffets Sat, 10/30/04 9:17 PM (permalink)
                        There is a breakfast Buffet at the Golden Coral in Lubbock Texas that has eggs done in several styles including a wonderful omlets made while you watch. If you walk out of there hungry it's you own fault cause I cant think of anything missing from grits to corn flakes to fruit. You can't beat it with a cheap stick.

Tastytoo

• Total Posts: 271
                          RE: Eggs Other Than Scrambled On Breakfast Buffets Sat, 10/30/04 10:16 PM (permalink)
                          All the Old Country Buffets I have visited in Illinois have poached eggs for Eggs Benedict

Z66 Butch

• Total Posts: 198
                            RE: Eggs Other Than Scrambled On Breakfast Buffets Wed, 12/21/05 7:37 PM (permalink)
                            Most breakfast buffets that I have visited will cook eggs to order along with freash made toast for no additional charge if you just ask!

How's this for digging up a old post?

Butch

Greyghost

• Total Posts: 1336
                              RE: Eggs Other Than Scrambled On Breakfast Buffets Wed, 12/21/05 8:13 PM (permalink)
                              Umm... it may beg the question but why are so many people going to breakfast buffets?

Don't tell me you are going to it because it comes free with your hotel room. If so, what did you expect? I have never taken advantage of such a set up nor do I care to in the future.

Most towns have at least one good old fashioned Roadfood place and that is what I seek out for breakfast.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7379
                                • Roadfood Insider
                                RE: Eggs Other Than Scrambled On Breakfast Buffets Wed, 12/21/05 10:49 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Z66 Butch

Most breakfast buffets that I have visited will cook eggs to order along with freash made toast for no additional charge if you just ask!

How's this for digging up a old post?

Butch

It blows my mind

How do these people find these old posts???!!!!!!

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                                  RE: Eggs Other Than Scrambled On Breakfast Buffets Thu, 12/22/05 1:01 AM (permalink)
                                  This is a copy of a previous post that got no answer. I'm hoping this, at long last, may be the thread for it

Does anyone know what Eggs, Country Style, are? There was a grill man here at a diner that always made them for me. But then the diner was bought by a firm in Germany and shipped there. The former owner/grill man moved away. I've never found a satisfactory breakfast place in this area since.

I'm not exactly sure of the procedure. That's what he called them...Country Style. I usually got it with hash browns and link sausage, split, and toasted rye bread with butter.

It appeared that he began by cooking them sunny side up, and when they got a bit firm, he would flip them over, and with the edge of the spatula he would break the yolk, but without mixing the yellow with the white, and if so, only slightly.

No matter what diner or eatery I've been to since, no one seems capable of mimicking this dish, or, they don't want to, or, don't understand, or have no patience with the fickle customer. It seems that no one else even calls it Country Style. Any opinions? Can you help a Roadfooder out here?
                                  The Bear

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17797
                                    RE: Eggs Other Than Scrambled On Breakfast Buffets Thu, 12/22/05 1:32 AM (permalink)
                                    That sounds like "over-hard." Breaking the yolk just cuts the amount of cooking time.

Fieldthistle

• Total Posts: 1948
                                      RE: Eggs Other Than Scrambled On Breakfast Buffets Thu, 12/22/05 1:51 AM (permalink)
                                      Hello All,
                                      Last year I took my daughter and a friend from Great Britian to Williamsburg, Va.
                                      On the breakfast Feed Trough, at the hotel,was hard-boiled eggs. That was the only way to get
                                      eggs. So I took toast, butter, and sliced the eggs, once I peeled them, to make
                                      a sandwich.
                                      Hotels and motels will offer breakfast buffets, adding it secretly to the price of your room,
                                      hoping you won't take advantage of it, and giving you the lowest quality of product and service.
                                      However, no all establishments do this. I recall a wonderful moment in Virginia Beach, at the
                                      Sheraton, where breakfast was included, but I was given a choice and it was fresh made.
                                      Breakfast buffets are like fast food.
                                      Take Care,
                                      Fieldthistle

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Eggs Other Than Scrambled On Breakfast Buffets Thu, 12/22/05 10:10 AM (permalink)
                                        I too stay at many Courtyard by Marriotts and OCCASIONALY have the buffet ... there is almost always the opportunity to get custom eggs ... I usually don't bother.

Embassy Suites, which are not my early choice, have very good breakfasts.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                                          RE: Eggs Other Than Scrambled On Breakfast Buffets Thu, 12/22/05 10:52 AM (permalink)
                                          Brunch buffet's are the only place I can get an eggs benedict and a salmon filet on the same dish.

Champagne brunches are all over DC. The best, IMO, is at the Savoy Suites in Glover Park/Upper Georgetown.

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
                                            RE: Eggs Other Than Scrambled On Breakfast Buffets Thu, 12/22/05 12:01 PM (permalink)
                                            I was actually just booking a park/sleep/fly today and I have to say I don’t mind some of the breakfest buffets that places like Embassy Suites or Sheraton offer. You have to try pretty hard to screw up some eggs, bacon and toast. I also take advantage of the custom made omelets if the guy looks like he knows what he’s doing. I’m not a huge shopper but I like to head up to Minneapolis the day before my ski trip, wander around The Mall of America, take in a movie, see what’s up as far as food goes. It’s nice to be able to get a quick bite and some coffee on premises before heading to the airport.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com