Einstein's

Author
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
2004/09/28 12:47:31 (permalink)

Einstein's

What do you all think of the bagels at Einstein's? I had one this weekend that was absolutely awful. Mushy and tasteless. It had no resemblance whatsoever to a real bagel aside from being round and having a hole. Is there any chain bagel place with decent bagels? (I grew up in a family that bought dozens of bagels every time we visited New York City and took them home to freeze, so I fancy myself an expert)

6 Replies Related Threads

RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Einstein's 2004/09/28 13:43:38 (permalink)
    Since I grew up in a family where I never even tasted a bagel until I was 16 (and that in some chain called Bagel Nosh) and never had my first real NY bagel until my mid 20's, they taste pretty good to me.
    BaconBits
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Einstein's 2004/09/28 14:04:09 (permalink)
    I find that, by definition, 'chain' and 'bagel' just don't go together. Chain bagel shops are usless - Tim Hortons? BLAH! Einsteins? BLAH! Even Dunkin' Donuts, where I LOVE their coffee and donuts, has aweful bagels.

I think a local bagel shop is probably your best bet for finding bagels outside NYC. But H&H bagels will ship - then you too can freeze a bunch and eat them accordingly. And let's face it - nothing is as good as an H&H.

www.hhbagels.com/Order_Form.htm
    Sushi_Girl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Einstein's 2004/09/28 15:44:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by danimal15

What do you all think of the bagels at Einstein's? I had one this weekend that was absolutely awful. Mushy and tasteless. It had no resemblance whatsoever to a real bagel aside from being round and having a hole. Is there any chain bagel place with decent bagels? (I grew up in a family that bought dozens of bagels every time we visited New York City and took them home to freeze, so I fancy myself an expert)

I had Einsteins once when i was in clearwater, i ordered an everything bagel toasted with Lox and cream cheese, it also came with two huge rings of red onion, which i discarded, the bagel was tough, the lox were mediocre, and the cream cheese was "eh" i love the bagels at the local place here "bagels unlimited" on 34th street, Awesome breakfast, bagels, spreads, knishes, hot sauces from floor to the ceiling, great coffee.
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Einstein's 2004/10/01 17:40:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ejh1110

I find that, by definition, 'chain' and 'bagel' just don't go together. Chain bagel shops are usless - Tim Hortons? BLAH! Einsteins? BLAH! Even Dunkin' Donuts, where I LOVE their coffee and donuts, has aweful bagels.

I think a local bagel shop is probably your best bet for finding bagels outside NYC. But H&H bagels will ship - then you too can freeze a bunch and eat them accordingly. And let's face it - nothing is as good as an H&H.

www.hhbagels.com/Order_Form.htm

I wish we had H&H here in Chicago. But we do have New York Bagel and Biali in Lincolnwood, which is about as close to a real NY bagel as one can find. It has the proper chewiness, and is boiled, not baked, an important distinction. But it's a half hour from my house, and Einstein's is 5 minutes, so I keep having Einsteins (also my kids love going to Einsteins).

Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Einstein's 2004/10/01 19:31:09 (permalink)
    Sadly Einsteins (sp) are the best bagels I can get in my area between Ft. Worth and Dallas. Not surprising though as Pizza Hut was voted best pizza in the county.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7921
    RE: Einstein's 2004/10/01 20:41:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tommy2dogs

Sadly Einsteins (sp) are the best bagels I can get in my area between Ft. Worth and Dallas. Not surprising though as Pizza Hut was voted best pizza in the county.

I'm sure they would "hang em' high" those who voted for "Smokey Bones" as the best brisket in the county!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1