The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Eiscafé Pizzeria Europa Heidelberg-Kirchheim

High Springs Gator

• Total Posts: 61
Eiscafé Pizzeria Europa Heidelberg-Kirchheim Mon, 01/7/08 3:42 AM (permalink)
I was stationed at a Army Hospital in the Heidelberg area of Germany in the early 80's. One of my favorite places to eat on the economy was the Europa in Kirchheim. They had very good German, and Italian fare. Many of their customers were Americans like myself, as there were several Military installations in and around Heidelberg. Plus a large dependent housing area called Patrick Henry Village that was just down the road. I got hooked on a dish called the Devils Spit. It was a beef kabob with red peppers and a spicy sauce. It came with rice, or fries. I have tried in vain to search the net for the recipe for this dish. If by chance someone on the forum is familar with the dish and recipe I would love to have it.

http://www.eiscafe-pizzeria-europa.de/en/index.html

MiamiDon

RE: Eiscafé Pizzeria Europa Heidelberg-Kirchheim Mon, 01/7/08 9:04 AM (permalink)
    Why don't you email them and ask for the recipe? Can't hurt, and maybe they will give it up.

High Springs Gator

RE: Eiscafé Pizzeria Europa Heidelberg-Kirchheim Mon, 01/7/08 2:21 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by MiamiDon

Why don't you email them and ask for the recipe? Can't hurt, and maybe they will give it up.

Did that. Waiting for a reply.

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
        RE: Eiscafé Pizzeria Europa Heidelberg-Kirchheim Mon, 01/7/08 10:07 PM (permalink)
        How nice to hear about Heidelberg/Rohrbach. Our close friends live on Rohrbachstrasse and Panoramastrasse. The hospital is on the way to Leiman, no? We were there last month (we go every year or 2. I have been trying to get the photos up here). If you mention Patrick Henry Village, I mention Mark Twain Village. The area changed alot after 9/11, all enclosed in gates, barbed wire, etc. There is a real separation between the Germans and the Americans, which wasn't rtue before.

I have never hear of the "Devils Spit" but I will ask my friends. It sounds like Turkish or Balkan food which is also popular.(cevacipi??)

They have great food there, German, Italian - we even had good (not great) Mexican food near Crowne Plaza.

High Springs Gator

RE: Eiscafé Pizzeria Europa Heidelberg-Kirchheim Tue, 01/8/08 2:22 PM (permalink)
          I am not sure what the country of orgin devils spit comes from but I would not rule out Turkish or Balkan like you said. I am still waiting for a email response from the owners. Have you heard of a town called Ketch. That is where I lived off post. I have not been back to Germany sinse 1982, so I am sure many changes have occured from that time. Here is a recipe for Schwenkbraten for you to enjoy

German Schwenkbraten

Ingredients:

10 onions, cut into wedges
          1 cup vegetable oil
          4 cloves garlic, crushed
          7 dried juniper berries, crushed
          1 tablespoon German stone ground mustard
          1 tablespoon dried thyme
          1 tablespoon dried oregano
          1 tablespoon paprika
          1 tablespoon curry powder
          1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
          1 tablespoon ground black pepper
          8 (8 ounce) boneless pork loin chops

Directions:

Place the onion wedges in a bowl. Use a large spoon to gently press the onions until they release some of their juices.
          Combine the oil, garlic, juniper berries, mustard, thyme, oregano, paprika, curry powder, cayenne pepper, and black pepper with the onions and mix to combine.
          Arrange the steaks in a large baking pan.
          Pour the marinade evenly over top of the pork. Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
          Remove pork from marinade and allow to come to room temperature as you preheat the grill.
          Wrap the onions separately with foil to create a pouch. Discard marinade.
          Preheat grill for medium heat.
          Grill the pork steaks and onions until the pork is no longer pink in the center, about 10 minutes per side.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com