El Reno, OK Twister Kills Veteran Storm Chasers - RIP Tim Samaras

Author
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6393
2013/06/02 14:02:34 (permalink)

El Reno, OK Twister Kills Veteran Storm Chasers - RIP Tim Samaras

This tornado season has been vicious to the state of Oklahoma, now coming out of the reports of damage from Friday's El Reno Storm is the news NO ONE would ever want to hear.

Veteran Storm Chaser, Engineer Tim Samaras was killed during the tornado outbreak on Friday in El Reno, OK;  also killed with Tim was his son Paul and long time chasing partner Carl Young.

Tim and Carl were always the cautious chasers, they knew the power and the devastation that a twister could produce.  Something had to seriously go wrong....

Their camera equipment is missing from the wreckage, and is being sought out by the authorities and the family.

In the past few years, the race to become one with a tornado has put many novice chasers and veterans in the path of danger.  The race for who can get the best footage or the closest footage has become intense and at times reckless.

Tim and Carl were not that kind of chaser.  Their expertise will be greatly missed, and the chasing community lost one of the greatest.

Rest In Peace:

Tim Samaras - 55
Paul Samaras - 24
Cal Young - 45

http://www.thedenverchann...h-son-longtime-partner

5 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7907
    Re:El Reno, OK Twister Kills Veteran Storm Chasers - RIP Tim Samaras 2013/06/02 17:10:19 (permalink)
    Sad and suspicious.

Their camera equipment is missing?

Someone needs to be locked up for looting.

What a shame.  RIP Guys.
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 567
    Re:El Reno, OK Twister Kills Veteran Storm Chasers - RIP Tim Samaras 2013/06/02 20:27:32 (permalink)

What a terrible tragedy.   Very sad.  
    mar52 - There's a good chance it's not looting.  The tornado could have taken their camera equipment hundreds of yards away, and deposited it in farm field. 

Glenn

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3503
    Re:El Reno, OK Twister Kills Veteran Storm Chasers - RIP Tim Samaras 2013/06/02 20:50:36 (permalink)
    Or even further. I'm kind of surprised they found anything, to be honest. And if they ever do find it, I can only hope the footage is salvageable, and that it will help understand what really happens with a tornado.
    love2bake
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1391
    Re:El Reno, OK Twister Kills Veteran Storm Chasers - RIP Tim Samaras 2013/06/02 20:50:52 (permalink)
    Wow--I feel for the poor wife and mother of those two men--she lost everyone.

On my cross-country trip last spring on I-40 heading east, I saw that crazy looking "Dominator" storm chaser vehicle being transported to its next destination.  Unfortunately, I couldn't whip out my phone and take a photo, but here's a video about it (please excuse the inevitable ad beforehand), in case you're interested.  Too bad these men weren't in this thing--they might have survived.

http://dsc.discovery.com/...t-is-the-dominator.htm
    post edited by love2bake - 2013/06/02 20:53:57
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7907
    Re:El Reno, OK Twister Kills Veteran Storm Chasers - RIP Tim Samaras 2013/06/02 23:35:19 (permalink)
    I stand corrected.  I saw something about it on TV today.  Horrific.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1