Electric grill

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2013/09/14 19:23:00 (permalink)

Electric grill

I recently bought a small, dome shaped Mecco-Aussie electric grill for my balcony (we can not use gas or charcoal grill here). You just plug it in, put you food on the grate, a cook. You can also use i as a smoker, with the top. I am surprised how delicious. Much better than Forman grill, tho similar purpose.

My question is: Do you think there are any special techniques or recipes that are best for this? I'm not really a BBQ'er so whatever you can add will help.
post edited by NYNM - 2013/09/14 19:26:54

6 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5238
    Re:Electric grill 2013/09/14 21:06:11 (permalink)
    A copy of Raichlen's Indoor! Grilling might be of interest to you.  Perhaps you can find a preview online?
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Electric grill 2013/09/16 17:27:41 (permalink)
    Thanks SC, just ordered Raichlen.
    ces1948
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1512
    Re:Electric grill 2013/09/16 20:12:28 (permalink)
    Here's how one person who reviewed the grill on Amazon smokes meat.
    I can not believe that an electric grill is this awesome. Most electric grills are similar to the George Forman products, that can in no way rival true outdoor charcoal grilling. I was skeptical at first, but decided since it was only $60.00 and charcoal and gas grills are forbidden on the patio, I'd give it a try. My grill heats up to a sizzle in less than 1 minute. I grill shish kebobs and seafood. I even smoke chicken and ribs, as well as grill them. I line the bottom of the grill with foil for easy clean up. I soak wood chips for an hour or two and then place them in 2 aluminum hotdog trays (the height is just right)I found at the local 99 cent store. I place them under the heating element. I, then add some of the liquid drained from the soaked wood chips to the drip cup. I put a sheet of foil on the grill and stab slits for the smoke to come through. I set the grill between medium and high. With the use of a digital thermometer I purchased from QVC, I can smoke my meat for 2 - 4 hours at the approriate temperature, occasionally spraying my meat with apple juice to prevent drying. The result is meat that is flavored and grilled just like it was done on a charcoal grill.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Electric grill 2013/09/16 21:16:41 (permalink)
    Thanks, ces - I'll try it.

Yes, I love this grill! It is not at all like a Forman grill. My daughter's boyfriend recently grilled some marinated steaks and they were probably the best I ever had. He kept the lid on for most of the grilling, which really helped. Somehow it tasted like real charcoal grill without using charcoal - just plugging it in. Inside or out (but open the window, the meat can smoke). Quick, and easy cleanup too.

Yes, for $60 its a real surprise! 
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5120
    Re:Electric grill 2013/09/16 22:32:36 (permalink)
    You got a real deal for $60.00. i couldn't find it online for anywhere close to $60.00.

I have a Meco deluxe electric smoker. It's fabulous! I turn out pro quality brisket and ribs with it.
    http://www.grillsdirect.c...gence_shopzilla_grills
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2119
    Re:Electric grill 2013/09/17 05:21:45 (permalink)
    You can also put a few (4 to 6) charcoal briquettes against the elect element.    This will burn slow giving a charcoal/smoke flavor.   I have done many Prime ribs and briskets this way.  ... I have even got the comment from one friend that " ... no damn electric grill cooked this ..."

One point on an above comment.   ...   Covering the cooking grate with foil will some time trap the heat below the grate.  This will cause the electric thermostat (the big middle point on the 3 prong plugin control) to keep the electric element off without heating the top part of the grill.  I learned the hard way.  ...   You need plenty of clearance around the outside of the grate for heat to rise into the upper part of the grill.   For the most part you don't don't need to cover the cooking grate on this grill.   
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1