Electronics: New or 'Refurbished'???

Author
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 749
2006/02/20 09:24:35 (permalink)

Electronics: New or 'Refurbished'???

When you go shopping for electronics,have you EVER bought something that is 'refurbished' or 'open box'? I ask that because I just bought a Panasonic VHS/DVD/R combo unit that was 'refurbished' for about half the price of 'retail.' It came in a sealed Panasonic box (a generic box with no model no),and has a warrenty. SO far,it has been working like clockwork..I feel like I got a HUGE bargain!

Does anyone else buy like this??

12 Replies Related Threads

BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Electronics: New or 'Refurbished'??? 2006/02/20 13:03:57 (permalink)
    I frequently buy "factory refurbished" products directly from the manufacturer but I would NOT buy an "open box" product at a retailer. Both my TiVo's are refurbs and I tried hard to find a refurbed iPod before recently buying one. I think there's a huge difference. With factory refurb products the manufacturer usually stands buy the product as if new and, in reality, the product is new except for the fact that it has been tested with unusual thoroughness to make sure that it works well before being shipped to the customer. I have never had a problem with one of these items. An "open box" item, by contrast, has been used and possibly abused in the store and its condition is waranted only by the store. Since I have little confidence in most retailers, especially the big electronics places like Circuit City and Best Buy, I wouldn't touch an "open box" item.

Most electronics products that are going to fail will do so within the first few months, or certainly the first year, of ownership. Especially with an "open box" item, if you have ANY trouble with it, I'd establish a claim with whoever's backing it (the store or the manufacturer) immediately.
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 749
    RE: Electronics: New or 'Refurbished'??? 2006/02/20 14:02:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

I frequently buy "factory refurbished" products directly from the manufacturer but I would NOT buy an "open box" product at a retailer. Both my TiVo's are refurbs and I tried hard to find a refurbed iPod before recently buying one. I think there's a huge difference. With factory refurb products the manufacturer usually stands buy the product as if new and, in reality, the product is new except for the fact that it has been tested with unusual thoroughness to make sure that it works well before being shipped to the customer. I have never had a problem with one of these items. An "open box" item, by contrast, has been used and possibly abused in the store and its condition is waranted only by the store. Since I have little confidence in most retailers, especially the big electronics places like Circuit City and Best Buy, I wouldn't touch an "open box" item.

Most electronics products that are going to fail will do so within the first few months, or certainly the first year, of ownership. Especially with an "open box" item, if you have ANY trouble with it, I'd establish a claim with whoever's backing it (the store or the manufacturer) immediately.

eBay is a good place for refurbs also....which is where I got my VHS/DVDR unit...just have to use all the usual eBay precautions...
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Electronics: New or 'Refurbished'??? 2006/02/20 14:04:39 (permalink)
    Every refurb I have bought works like a charm.
    jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Electronics: New or 'Refurbished'??? 2006/02/22 04:17:50 (permalink)
    Never.
    angeltx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Electronics: New or 'Refurbished'??? 2006/02/22 09:47:32 (permalink)
    I bought a refurbished computer from tigerdirect works great.Also bought it for about a third of what it cost new.
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Electronics: New or 'Refurbished'??? 2006/02/22 10:05:18 (permalink)
    I prefer refurbed over new. I've had new items crap out but NEVER had a problem w/ a refurb.
    Big Dave
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: Electronics: New or 'Refurbished'??? 2006/02/22 20:17:03 (permalink)
    As a rule, I refurbish electronics myself, mainly tube TV sets. As far as new electronics, I mainly purchase new. I am leery of refurbs, but might consider it if the price is right and I get a full manufacturer's warranty.

I have bought refurb power tools at Sears and had good luck with them.

I refuse to purchase a new TV for several reasons. Whether new or refurb, I'd be lucky to get five years out of it, less for the modern Zenith (The original Zenith in Chicago is gone). Why purchase something like that when it would be off most of the time? I can watch the junk the programmers give us on an old tube set the way I could on a new one. My tube sets (25 black and white, 10 color) will outlast this modern junk after they are properly restored.

As a rule, I try not to buy new electronics unless absolutely necessary.
    Drewmcdan1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Electronics: New or 'Refurbished'??? 2006/02/23 00:17:47 (permalink)
    Refurb from a manufacturer's web site or outlet store: Yes. Open box at a retail store, most likely not.

I outfitted my home theater from the Sony outlet store several years ago in Lancaster, PA for about $2000, which was a $1200 savings from the prices quoted in the Crutchfield catalog. Had a minor problem with the tv bought from the outlet, and due to a lack of parts, Sony replaced the 300lb beast with the next year's model, delivered.

Looking at buying a refurb Digital SLR camera (once I get the missus ok) from a site that specializes in selling refurbed equipment that they get direct from the manufacturer's distributor.

lunasatic
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 283
    RE: Electronics: New or 'Refurbished'??? 2006/02/28 14:33:25 (permalink)
    We bought computer & 19" flatscreen monitor fr/ Dell Outlet +3 yrs ago; have had 0 problems. To replace the unit(s) w/equivalent new would run about $5T, per our homeowner's ins-we paid less than $1T. My son-in-law the electronic gadget/computer/gaming geek was VERY impressed!
    stevencarry
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 359
    RE: Electronics: New or 'Refurbished'??? 2006/02/28 14:57:47 (permalink)
    I agree with BT
    I have bought refurb.at Costco online and picked it up at the store.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5408
    RE: Electronics: New or 'Refurbished'??? 2006/03/03 02:15:34 (permalink)
    I've bought a number of refurbed items over the years and have had very good luck with all of them. I recently bought a refurbed Dell C640 laptop off of e-bay and so far it is working well.

I've also bought 3 or 4 open-box items from BB and they too have worked out well.

MikeS.
    dogmeat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Electronics: New or 'Refurbished'??? 2006/03/31 06:44:34 (permalink)
    Refurbished "B" Stock Pioneer Plasmas for the bar after a fire, saved 40% and got a warranty which was needed on one of them. Pioneer fixed it like new and I'm a happy guy. With the technology changing so fast this IS the way to go, one of the plasmas had 180 hours on it and the other one had zero hours. I always buy "used" or "refurbished" (when available) high end stereo stuff (McIntosh) from a dealer friend of mine and have never had any serious problems that he couldn't take care of.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1