Elite Restaurant--Montgomery, AL circa mid 1960s?

Author
tfrielin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 442
2008/01/07 16:38:11 (permalink)

Elite Restaurant--Montgomery, AL circa mid 1960s?

Can any Alabamians tell me what became of the Elite Restaurant in Montgomery, AL that was around in the mid '60s? I'm told it was the place to eat, but I gather it is no longer around. Any old-timers out there know more of its history and when it disappeared?

I'm told it was pronounced EE-lite.

Another one of those restaurants I always wanted to go to, but never managed...

4 Replies Related Threads

Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Elite Restaurant--Montgomery, AL circa mid 1960s? 2008/01/07 23:57:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tfrielin
    Can any Alabamians tell me what became of the Elite Restaurant in Montgomery, AL that was around in the mid '60s? I'm told it was the place to eat, but I gather it is no longer around. Any old-timers out there know more of its history and when it disappeared?

Tfrielin,
    Apparently The Elite Cafe is still in business in downtown Montgomery. It opened in 1911 and has been run continuously by the Xides family. It is located at 129 Montgomery Street.
    No -- I stand corrected! I can't Google it up! Well, at least you now know where it WAS located and who ran it... maybe somebody can supply the missing information.
    Boy, I'm sorry to see this one go (assuming it HAS closed). At least we've still got The Bright Star in Bessemer... AND Chris' Hot Dogs in downtown Montgomery!
    Getting Hungrily, Ort. Carlton in Not-Too-Distant Athens, Georgia.
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 442
    RE: Elite Restaurant--Montgomery, AL circa mid 1960s? 2008/01/08 08:17:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:
    Originally posted by tfrielin

Tfrielin,
    Apparently The Elite Cafe is still in business in downtown Montgomery. It opened in 1911 and has been run continuously by the Xides family. It is located at 129 Montgomery Street.
    No -- I stand corrected! I can't Google it up! Well, at least you now know where it WAS located and who ran it... maybe somebody can supply the missing information.
    Boy, I'm sorry to see this one go (assuming it HAS closed). At least we've still got The Bright Star in Bessemer... AND Chris' Hot Dogs in downtown Montgomery!
    Getting Hungrily, Ort. Carlton in Not-Too-Distant Athens, Georgia.

Thanks, Ort for that semi-update. I was told some years ago that the Elite was no more. It was the place our high school track team was rewarded with dinner when they went down for the state meets. Sadly, not being on the A Team, I never got to go.

When I visit family up the Alabama road in Birmingham, I always make a visit to Browdy's delicatessan for lunch and to Jimmy Davenport's Pizza Palace--both around since my childhood days of the '60s. Browdy's has moved from its original location to the Western Supermarket strip mall, but Davenport's has been in the same location for well over forty years on Cahaba Rd. serving some of Birmingham's best pizza.

Key West Su
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Elite Restaurant--Montgomery, AL circa mid 1960s? 2011/06/01 16:48:13 (permalink)
    I've tried this before but it wouldn't hurt to ask again.  There were a few fabulous dishes at the old Elite.  I've not lived in Montgomery since late 70's, so I have very few connections there any longer.  However, if someone knows anyone in the Xides family that would be willing to share (or even sell) a few recipes, I'd be up for it!  My favorite was their squash casserole.  I used to go for lunch, and when I had a choice of two veggies, I'd order two of those!  Loved it.   I've not been able to duplicate it.  However, I guess if I could taste it today, I might be able to figure it out now.  Back then?  I was too young and not that inventive in the kitchen.  :-)  But after 40 years, well...if I'd not learned a few things, I'd be dumb as a bag of rocks, right? 

There's another Montgomery eatery that had a fabulous recipe but they appear to be out of business as well.  Mr. G's on McGehee Road had a fabulous Greek style grouper back then.  I know that closed and there's another Mr G's but not with the same dishes. 

Again, appreciate it if someone can link me up with anyone who has those recipes or would be willing to share or even sell.
    Key West Su
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Elite Restaurant--Montgomery, AL circa mid 1960s? 2011/06/01 17:20:44 (permalink)
    OH, just to let anyone know who is interested:  It appears that a restaurant opened there called Nobles  / Olives.  I thought perhaps they may have inherited some of the old recipes, but couldn't get anything but a 'fast busy' when trying to phone.  So I Googled it and found a news story in December, 2010 that there had been a fire there.  Not sure if it is still open or not. 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1