Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
jessicazee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 132
2003/08/06 22:10:15 (permalink)

Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob)

Here in Milwaukee on Mitchell Street (in a large Hispanic neighborhood), street vendors sell elotes, a steamed cob of sweet corn, slathered with mayonnaise, grated Parmesan or a similar cheese, chili powder and squeeze butter. I alsways thought they squeezed a lime on it, too, but last time I got one it was omitted.

The same carts also sell fresh cut-up watermelon, pineapple and I think mangoes.

Has anyone else had one of these? I am addicted, and made one at home yesterday.

41 Replies Related Threads

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2003/08/06 22:30:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jessicazee

Here in Milwaukee on Mitchell Street (in a large Hispanic neighborhood), street vendors sell elotes, a steamed cob of sweet corn, slathered with mayonnaise, grated Parmesan or a similar cheese, chili powder and squeeze butter. I alsways thought they squeezed a lime on it, too, but last time I got one it was omitted.

The same carts also sell fresh cut-up watermelon, pineapple and I think mangoes.

Has anyone else had one of these? I am addicted, and made one at home yesterday.

Oh, YES. Surprisingly, they aren't that common around Austin, but when you find them, INDULGE.
    Texicana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2003/08/06 22:54:53 (permalink)
    Had all them all the time in Mexico, but the ones I got were just lots of butter and powdered chiles on it, so it's nice and maroon when you get it. Another popular snack is a styrofoam cup that has some corn on the bottom, some chili powder, some of that nacho cheese sauce, a dollop of crema or sour cream, and then layered again til it's full. It's a mess and probably a trillion calories per cup, but it's a good tasting treat.
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2003/08/06 23:10:40 (permalink)
    Here in Long Beach California, They sell Pork Rinds drenched in Hot sauce with Lime Juice as well as Corn On The Cob. I like it greatly but my two front teeth are bonded. Years ago I popped them off biting into a Cob Of Corn. Now I use a knife to cut regular corn off the cob. Mexican Corn just ain't the same eating it that way instead off of the Cob. I took a chance once and enjoyed it, so I know what I am missing.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4074
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2003/08/07 12:25:57 (permalink)
    BigGlenn----where do I find the corn on the cob?
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2003/08/07 12:54:01 (permalink)
    quote:

Here in Milwaukee on Mitchell Street (in a large Hispanic neighborhood), street vendors sell elotes, a steamed cob of sweet corn, slathered with mayonnaise, grated Parmesan or a similar cheese, chili powder and squeeze butter.

I had one up in St. Paul once, at a Mexican grocery store/restaurant whose name escapes me. (To bad, I'd love to recommend it!) Anyway, they were cooking them out back in the parking lot. I had never had anything like it. The cheese was sold in bags inside the store, kind of powdered looking and called something obvious, like Mexican cheese, or something.

I had no idea that they sold them on Mitchell St. I'll have to sally down there one of these days.
    jwangsness
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2006/09/14 21:25:43 (permalink)

------------------

I came to this site hoping to find out what that whitish stuff he slathered on the corn I bought today in Maywood, CA, near the elementary school I taught at today. I couldn't wait to dismiss the kids so I could go outside the playground fence and get an elote from the vendor. He made it exactly as you described. Later, after I'd wolfed it down--and being vegetarian--I wondered if that white stuff was lard. But no, it was mayo as I found out here. I think I'd survive if it had been lard. I was just curious.
    oltheimmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2006/09/14 21:49:23 (permalink)
    Around here it's usually elotes rostadas - roasted in the shuck corn on the cob. Fiesta markets (chain) frequently has a trailer out front with a gas fired rotisserie for roasting them. Condiments (add you own) include a slab of butter, tub of mayonaise, salt, pepper, cayenne and lime. I've ruined my appetite several times by shopping at the Fiesta near me too close to meal time.
    quote:
    Originally posted by Texicana

Had all them all the time in Mexico, but the ones I got were just lots of butter and powdered chiles on it, so it's nice and maroon when you get it. Another popular snack is a styrofoam cup that has some corn on the bottom, some chili powder, some of that nacho cheese sauce, a dollop of crema or sour cream, and then layered again til it's full. It's a mess and probably a trillion calories per cup, but it's a good tasting treat.

My favorite side at 100% Taquito, a restaurant supposed to be a recreation of a Mexico City taco truck:

Maiz en vasito con chile, crema, queso fresco y limon. (I think vasito just means 'little cup.')

Also, tres tacos al pastor con cilantro, cebollo y pina y dulce de mango.
    HollyDolly
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2006/09/15 12:35:03 (permalink)
    Boy,Oltheimer,you sure are making me hungery.Don't get into the south and west side of San Antonio much,but I'm sure there is some place that sells corn on the cob.Several places have opened up around town selling cut up fruit and agua frescas which are mexican drinks made with fresh fruit,sugar and water and other such stuff.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8476
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2006/09/15 12:57:22 (permalink)
    Hello to jessicazee-as a Milw.resident, I have enjoyed the carts on Mitchell street many many times...and although i am just a bit on the outskirts of the city now-I still shop at El Rey for all their wonderful authentic mexican groceries!!
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4274
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2006/09/15 20:49:56 (permalink)
    Elotes carts are all over the place here in Chicago. Tasty stuff for sure! They also offer the option of having the corn stripped from the cob and served in a cup with all the other ingredients. Much easier to eat and a lot less messy.

Buddy
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2006/09/20 11:54:27 (permalink)
    They have them at street fairs in Santa Fe, NM. Was never sure if they were "New Mexican" (locals, 8 generation SantaFeans) or "Mexican" (small group of Mexian immigrants now in SF). Lots of shake-ons, esp. chile are provided. Hmmmm
    Amethyst
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2007/05/15 13:22:55 (permalink)
    Can someone please tell me the recipe for the elotes in the cup, like the one in the picture. I know it's corn and mayo, but what kind of cheese do they use? Is it parmasean or what? And is the red pepper a chili pepper or a cayenne pepper or what? I want to make some but I want to make sure I have the correct ingredients before I mess it up. Someone help please
    Amethyst
    Junior Burger
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2007/05/15 13:24:14 (permalink)
    Can someone please tell me the recipe for the elotes in the cup, like the one in the picture. I know it's corn and mayo, but what kind of cheese do they use? Is it parmasean or what? And is the red pepper a chili pepper or a cayenne pepper or what? I want to make some but I want to make sure I have the correct ingredients before I mess it up. Someone help please
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2007/05/15 14:36:33 (permalink)
    We have these carts all over in Las Cruces as well, mostly at festivals. It's a preeminent delicacy served at the Hatch Chile Festival.
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2007/05/15 14:52:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Amethyst

It is probably Cotija cheese. Here is a link to a Mexican Cheese website that discribes different cheeses. It is the closest to parmesian. The red pepper is not cayenne because it is not really hot, you can buy sprinkle chile powder for vegtables in the ethnic isle of most super markets, if not it is closest to a mix of Chili Poweder and Salt.

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/mexicancheeses.htm

joe
    Amethyst
    Junior Burger
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2007/05/15 17:01:57 (permalink)
    Well when I had it the cheese was kind of soft, so will the cheese come like that. The one in the picture I guess is Cotija because it didn't really taste like parmasean. Is there anything else that goes in it? Corn, mayo, cotija, chile powder....
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2007/05/15 17:12:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Amethyst

Well when I had it the cheese was kind of soft, so will the cheese come like that. The one in the picture I guess is Cotija because it didn't really taste like parmasean. Is there anything else that goes in it? Corn, mayo, cotija, chile powder....

Salt and Butter. The cheese in the picture of the cup above looks like crumbled up Queso Fresco.

joe
    Amethyst
    Junior Burger
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2007/05/15 17:33:44 (permalink)
    Ok, I'm looking for it to look like the one in the picture. So that cheese is not cojita but queso fresco? So if I go to a mexican grocery and ask for queso fresco it will look like that cheese? This is probably going to be an experiment until I find what is right. :) Now does that picture look like it only has mayo in it, cause I saw something about some crema. Does that mean you use crema instead of mayo or both? And what is crema?
    Amethyst
    Junior Burger
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2007/05/15 17:34:59 (permalink)
    Does this dish have a name?
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2007/05/15 18:42:13 (permalink)
    Queso Fresco comes in a disk that looks like pressed cottage cheese curds. It is soft and crumbly. The corn does not have an official name you just ask for Elote en Vaso(corn in a glass) as opposed to on the cob. Crema is Mexican Cream. It is used a lot as a topper like you would use sour cream only it is a thick liquid, I have heard it discribed as being similar to Creme Fraiche though I have never tried the later so I can't compare.

joe
    Amethyst
    Junior Burger
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2007/05/23 10:03:54 (permalink)
    Can someone send me the recipe for this? I would like to make it. Thanks
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2007/05/23 13:42:29 (permalink)
    There is no recipe for this. It's like topping a plate of nachos or a bowl of chili. You start with a container of whole corn kernels and add the toppings. Crema, queso fresco, butter, chile powder, salt & pepper. Some use mayonaise and some use the green cans of parmesian chesse to sprinkle on top and some squeaze a lemon or a lime into it. You can make the red chili topping if you want by mixing chili powder, salt and pepper and sprinkle it all together probably about a 5-2-1 ratio.

joe
    naxet76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2007/05/28 20:11:05 (permalink)
    it's finely crumbled/shredded cotija cheese.
    Amethyst
    Junior Burger
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2007/06/03 05:42:32 (permalink)
    Is that the cheese in the picture? Cotija?
    naxet76
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2007/06/06 13:38:48 (permalink)
    it doesn't look like Parmesan, so I think it is cotija. either one would taste fine. Actually, i'm eating one just now that i made right now: A bag of frozen corn, butter, salt, mayo, and parmesan cheese.
    Amethyst
    Junior Burger
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2007/06/06 14:28:24 (permalink)
    Don't rub it in! So do you use the parmesean in the green bottle that you put on spagetti, or is it fresh, grated, or what?
    lone nut
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2007/06/06 20:10:52 (permalink)
    Well, I've been in downtown LA for decades. I enjoy corn on the cob as much as anyone, usually juat butter, salt, and pepper I like stripping the ears of the silk, keeping the outside on, keeping it wet and roasting on a charcoal grill. Nice steaming, and the green stuff inparts a delicate flavor.
    What I don't like about the street vendors is they don't care if their customers just toss the cob on the sidewalk, street, anywhere. Same with oragnge peels, you name it, we have in LA. You're tripping on it, drving over it, it's a bad mess.
    -Scott
    naxet76
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2007/06/07 01:38:07 (permalink)
    Oh amethyst (sigh), it's really not that difficult. You sound like I did in another topic about how to cook green beans. Just use plain old Kraft parmesan, the kind you sprinkle on your pizza. Drain your frozen corn (tastes better than canned), add as much butter and mayo and salt that you like...start off little by little though. then sprinkle in the parmesan. Some people also add that mexican hot salt/sauce for fruit but I didn't have any. I used frozen corn only because I don't have the time to roast an ear of corn for a craving that I have that very moment. Let me know if you get to try it!
    naxet76
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Elotes (Mexican Corn-on-the-Cob) 2007/06/07 01:40:05 (permalink)
    oh, and also amethyst, if you can't get a hold of the chili sauce i can send you a bottle.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1