Elvis, Cajun, Crawfish and Alligators - A Two Week RV Tour

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6366
Re:Elvis, Cajun, Crawfish and Alligators - A Two Week RV Tour 2009/05/04 16:42:55 (permalink)
Davydd

I must say that your trip was magnificent.  I would love to get away and just enjoy the trip that way.

I love how Levey the Great also advertised outside.  That spic and span looked scrumdilliumptious.

Graceland - I have that same stained glass lamp shade that is in the kitchen.  I had forgotten about it being in there.

You gotta LOVE that billiard room.

Then you came to my "Home", LA.

Your stew looked awesome, I can see why it went so quickly.

Prejean's & Mulates - ahh  {{{sniff sniff}}} food of love.
How was the music at Mulates?

Gator Cove - dem crawdaddys looked yummy, but BRIGHT green key lime pie 

All in all your trip was a great adventure, thanks for sharing it with us.

wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7694
Re:Elvis, Cajun, Crawfish and Alligators - A Two Week RV Tour 2009/05/04 20:55:47 (permalink)
Davyyd,

As usual, an outstanding report...
It looks like the Suzie-Q Cafe will more than likely be a stop for me on my planned "Heartland" Baseball Trip for 2010....

Now, you do realize that only "Tourists" eat Cajun food in Louisiana, and that all the locals are actually going to Hmong and Vietnamese restaurants!
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6328
Re:Elvis, Cajun, Crawfish and Alligators - A Two Week RV Tour 2009/05/04 21:58:37 (permalink)
WJ, I actually never saw any Hmong and Vietnamese restaurants in and around Lafayette. There were the customary Mexican and Chinese all over. Looking at the parking lot and the people, Prejean's seemed touristy. Mulates is reputedly touristy but on a Wednesday night with live Cajun music most of the people seemed like regulars. Gator Cove appeared to have serious locals who knew how to crack open a crawfish. I never did manage to get any meat out of the tiny claws but the one native to the area in our group had no problem. I take it if they were sucking the brains out of the crawfish heads they were locals. If they let most of the meat go to waist like me they were tourists. Keep in mind, late April is not exactly the tourist season.

What was intriguing were the many independent restaurants that had signs posted for Plate Lunches. I didn't have time to explore that aspect of roadfood. It took me until the last day to get to boiled crawfish. There were lots of small places serving crawfish. We were a week too early for the crawfish festival. We didn't do any breakfasts while in Lafayette either. Most every morning the group gathered in the clubhouse and drank Community Coffee. Community Coffee is bigger than Starbucks down there.
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
Re:Elvis, Cajun, Crawfish and Alligators - A Two Week RV Tour 2009/05/05 06:32:57 (permalink)
You've outdone yourself with this one Davydd. Of all the food, to me the standout is the BLT at Suzie - Q's.
douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 462
Re:Elvis, Cajun, Crawfish and Alligators - A Two Week RV Tour 2009/05/05 07:29:35 (permalink)
Absolutey outstanding trip report!! For me, it is just the right mix of food and attraction/scenery.

My wife is interested in a class B vehicle. I'm leaning towards a good size truck camper (Northern Lite) to go on my long bed Chevy 2500. I'm thinking it would be more appropriate for the back (dirt) roads to get to my out of the way fishing spots. Either way, we hope to be on the road a lot when she reitires in the next couple of years.

Thanks again for your report.
agnesrob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:Elvis, Cajun, Crawfish and Alligators - A Two Week RV Tour 2009/05/05 07:56:44 (permalink)
I really enjoyed your report, Davydd! Thank you for sharing with all of us!
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Elvis, Cajun, Crawfish and Alligators - A Two Week RV Tour 2009/05/05 10:12:47 (permalink)
douginvirginia
My wife is interested in a class B vehicle. I'm leaning towards a good size truck camper (Northern Lite) to go on my long bed Chevy 2500. I'm thinking it would be more appropriate for the back (dirt) roads to get to my out of the way fishing spots. Either way, we hope to be on the road a lot when she reitires in the next couple of years.

Doug,

I gave truck bed campers a passing look since I have a pickup but decided they really weren't much different than having a trailer since you could not conveniently use them while driving. Also, the overhanging width can be parking lot killers.

There are a couple of options. One is Sportsmobile can build you a Class B campervan per your design on a four wheel drive chassis. The second is the Provan Tiger made in South Carolina. The Tiger is a converted Chevy pickup 4WD that is similar in size and appearance to a B but you can get out of your cab seat and enter the RV. It is classified technically as a Class C but many think of them as Bs.
analei
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 541
Re:Elvis, Cajun, Crawfish and Alligators - A Two Week RV Tour 2009/05/05 12:45:52 (permalink)
this was a pleasure to read through, and read, thanks so much,  Davydd.
analei
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 541
Re:Elvis, Cajun, Crawfish and Alligators - A Two Week RV Tour 2009/05/05 12:46:23 (permalink)
sorry..i meant to also add, view. Nice array of pics.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3710
Re:Elvis, Cajun, Crawfish and Alligators - A Two Week RV Tour 2009/05/05 15:44:43 (permalink)
I loved reading your report.  Your RV looks perfect for two people.  Glad that you had such a geat trip.
janicks
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 72
Re:Elvis, Cajun, Crawfish and Alligators - A Two Week RV Tour 2009/05/05 16:13:04 (permalink)
There are a couple of options. One is Sportsmobile can build you a Class B campervan per your design on a four wheel drive chassis. The second is the Provan Tiger made in South Carolina. The Tiger is a converted Chevy pickup 4WD that is similar in size and appearance to a B but you can get out of your cab seat and enter

The good thing is Sportsmobile is made in Huntington In and that would mean you could come to Nicks Kitchen and have a Breaded Pork Tenderloin YAY!!!
Jean Anne
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Elvis, Cajun, Crawfish and Alligators - A Two Week RV Tour 2009/05/06 08:59:57 (permalink)
Speaking of Nick's Kitchen, we begin our second RV tour May 11 and will be at Nick's Kitchen for lunch around 11 AM, Thursday, May 14th if anyone is in the area and cares to show up. Dave Clapp, of Mr. Dave's in North Manchester, MN has been anxious for us to drop by. Since we have gone to considerable expense of buying two inflatable kayaks and the means to haul them we are going to try to stay in that northern Indiana area at an SRA more than one overnight dash, stop and dash and give them a try. After Nick's Kitchen we will drive on to Geneva-On-The-Lake, Ohio for another few days at a B Rally, then on to Washington, DC, then Indianapolis for the Indy 500 Race, and finally a one day dash home so Nancy can catch a plane for Cochabamba, Bolivia. I will then do our third tour alone on Minnesota's North Shore but accompanied for the first time with our cat, Callie.
BelleReve
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1157
Re:Elvis, Cajun, Crawfish and Alligators - A Two Week RV Tour 2009/05/10 13:06:18 (permalink)
Davydd - I thoroughly enjoyed your pictures and reports, thanks for taking the time to show us - I have a good friend who just recently retired and moved outside of Lafayette, can't wait to get to Prejean's.

stresssolutions
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Elvis, Cajun, Crawfish and Alligators - A Two Week RV Tour 2011/11/25 11:19:19 (permalink)
Yep, great report, thanks for sharing.

Couple notes....Lamberts is very good...great tenderloin, too.
My favorite beer is New Glarus.  Abita is good too.
Thanks so much for the SusieQ info...we'll have to take a run down there next year.

Giant tenderloins?  Have you been to St Olaf Tap, in St Olaf IA?  good eats.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Elvis, Cajun, Crawfish and Alligators - A Two Week RV Tour 2011/11/25 13:01:47 (permalink)
Yes, I have been to St. Olaf Tap. I'm pretty sure there is a photo in the Pork Tenderloin thread in the Sandwich forum here. There are few good tenderloin places I have not been to as I try to make it to the best.

Still haven't stopped at Lambert's Cafe. In fact I passed one up in Foley, Alabama last month.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1