The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Email Response From SC Johnson

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 5:40 PM (permalink)
Dear Michael,

Thank you for your e-mail. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

Regarding your inquiry, ZIPLOC® brand Bags cannot be used to boil food. Unfortunately, we do not manufacture a "boilable" bag.

We do not recommend using any ZIPLOC® brand Bag in boiling water, or to "boil" in the microwave. ZIPLOC® brand Bags are made from polyethylene plastic with a softening point of approximately 195 degrees Fahrenheit. By pouring near boiling water (water begins to boil at 212 degrees) into the bag, or putting the bag into the water, the plastic could begin to melt.

Thanks again for your e-mail so we could give you the information you requested. If you have future comments or product information needs, we invite you to visit or e-mail us again at www.scjbrands.com.

Regards,

Kcrista

Consumer Relationship Center
SC Johnson, A Family Company
Toll Free Number: 1-800-558-5252

Obviously, the company's sole concern with regard to boiling Ziploc bags has to do with the possibility of the bags melting.

JohnRF

• Total Posts: 38
    RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 5:50 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Dear Michael,

Regarding your inquiry, ZIPLOC® brand Bags cannot be used to boil food. Unfortunately, we do not manufacture a "boilable" bag.

We do not recommend using any ZIPLOC® brand Bag in boiling water, or to "boil" in the microwave. ZIPLOC® brand Bags are made from polyethylene plastic with a softening point of approximately 195 degrees Fahrenheit. By pouring near boiling water (water begins to boil at 212 degrees) into the bag, or putting the bag into the water, the plastic could begin to melt.

Thanks again for your e-mail so we could give you the information you requested. If you have future comments or product information needs, we invite you to visit or e-mail us again at www.scjbrands.com.

Regards,

Kcrista

Obviously, the company's sole concern with regard to boiling Ziploc bags has to do with the possibility of the bags melting.

Yes!! The Henry Kissinger Viet Nam victory strategy!! Unilaterally declare victory and run away before they can git 'ya!!

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
      RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 6:03 PM (permalink)
      That still doesn't answer the question of how all those Boy Scouts have been eating their breakfasts out of unmelted bags.

Tedbear

• Total Posts: 1832
        RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 6:06 PM (permalink)
        quote:

Dear Michael,

Regards,

Kcrista

...and leaching carcinogenic chemicals into your food, in the process. Of course, we can't expect S.C. Johnson to admit that this is the end result of polyethylene melting into one's food, but at least their statement should help to prevent people from using this foolhardy approach to cooking.

I would like to thank Mr. Hoffman for doing the "legwork" necessary to prove that I was correct in counseling caution on this very strange cooking method.

seafarer john

RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 6:07 PM (permalink)
          I've camped with the Boy Scouts - the fire never gets hot enough to cook anything (or melt plastic bags).

Cheers, John

Michael Hoffman

RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 6:09 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by RubyRose

That still doesn't answer the question of how all those Boy Scouts have been eating their breakfasts out of unmelted bags.

It's because the bags seem not to melt when used that way. Apparently, the company is just covering itself in case a bag does melt and cause a user to be burned by the hot food.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 6:23 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Tedbear

quote:

Dear Michael,

Regards,

Kcrista

...and leaching carcinogenic chemicals into your food, in the process. Of course, we can't expect S.C. Johnson to admit that this is the end result of polyethylene melting into one's food, but at least their statement should help to prevent people from using this foolhardy approach to cooking.

I would like to thank Mr. Hoffman for doing the "legwork" necessary to prove that I was correct in counseling caution on this very strange cooking method.

Obviously, you have neglected to check this out. The company has made it extraordinarily clear that your claim of carcinogens leaching into food from Ziploc bags is impossible,as no such things exist in the bags.

From the ZipLoc Website:

A recent study conducted and published by the University of Cincinnati found that the estrogen-like chemical BPA (bisphenol A) has been shown to encourage the growth of a specific category of prostate cancer cells. BPA is commonly used in the manufacture of certain plastic products, such as food-can coatings, milk-container liners, food containers, and water-supply pipes. As a result, media have been reporting on this study and the fact that this chemical is commonly found in plastic food storage containers.

SC Johnson does not use BPA in its plastic products, Ziploc® Brand bags and containers, and Saran™ brand wraps.

SC Johnson is a leader in providing high-quality products. All of its products are extensively evaluated for toxicity and safety and comply with—and often even exceed—applicable quality and safety regulations.

In 2002, we became aware of an email that was being widely circulated, which warned consumers about the alleged dangers of using plastics in the microwave. This email claimed that the combination of fat, high heat, and plastics releases dioxin into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body, thereby increasing the risk of producing cancerous cells. We researched these claims and it is clear that the information is misleading, and unnecessarily alarms consumers.

Saran™ and Ziploc® products are 100% dioxin free. You also should be aware that dioxins can be formed only when chlorine is combined with extremely high temperatures, such as 1,500°F, which even the most powerful consumer microwave ovens are unable to produce.

Our Saran™ and Ziploc® products can be used with confidence when label directions are followed. All Saran™ Wraps, Ziploc® containers and microwaveable Ziploc® bags meet the safety requirements of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for temperatures associated with defrosting and reheating food in microwave ovens, as well as room, refrigerator, and freezer temperatures.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 6:23 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by JohnRF

Yes!! The Henry Kissinger Viet Nam victory strategy!! Unilaterally declare victory and run away before they can git 'ya!!

What???

Bushie

RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 6:25 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by seafarer john

I've camped with the Boy Scouts...

Why, I never took you for that kind of guy, Mr. John...

JohnRF

RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 6:38 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Bushie

quote:

What???

You know. The way some people win arguments. Declare some reason, no matter how tenuous, the winning argument. And then declare that you won and that the issue is finished.

Bushie

RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 6:51 PM (permalink)
                      quote:

You know. The way some people win arguments. Declare some reason, no matter how tenuous, the winning argument. And then declare that you won and that the issue is finished.

Yes, I got that part.

I didn't understand how that related to Mr. Hoffman's post. He was following up on concerns he had in another thread about using Ziploc bags (even freezer bags) as "boilin' bags". His concerns seem to be supported by the company. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I still fail to see how anyone was declaring any "victory", particularly in the manner you imply.

JohnRF

RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 7:10 PM (permalink)
                        quote:

quote:

Yes, I got that part.

I didn't understand how that related to Mr. Hoffman's post. He was following up on concerns he had in another thread about using Ziploc bags (even freezer bags) as "boilin' bags". His concerns seem to be supported by the company. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I still fail to see how anyone was declaring any "victory", particularly in the manner you imply.

This is just to answer your question, and not to prolong the debate, which has gone on too long already. And we can disagree about my conclusion. The comment refers to the conclusion in the first post and the series of conclusive statements in the other thread to which you refer. Hope that explains it.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                          RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 7:13 PM (permalink)
                          coly hrap! all this arguing because someone found an interesting way to prepare eggs.

I'm in the MH camp on this one. But neither here nor there, if you're concerned about the method, just don't use it. Judging others for their technique will get no where.

To JohnRF: I'm not entirely sure why, in so few as 10 days, you have decided to poke at Michael Hoffman so many times in a row. I would think it best to enter an unfamiliar water with a little more stealth and unassumedness.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                            RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 7:21 PM (permalink)
                            Hey, neat that you got that info Michael! Now for a boilable zip lock bag....
                            Joe

Kiowa1

• Total Posts: 189
                              RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 7:54 PM (permalink)
                              The heck with the bags... just throw the egg mixture into the boiling water naked... poached omlettes, yum...

JohnRF

RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 7:58 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Scorereader

coly hrap! all this arguing because someone found an interesting way to prepare eggs.

I'm in the MH camp on this one. But neither here nor there, if you're concerned about the method, just don't use it. Judging others for their technique will get no where.

To JohnRF: I'm not entirely sure why, in so few as 10 days, you have decided to poke at Michael Hoffman so many times in a row. I would think it best to enter an unfamiliar water with a little more stealth and unassumedness.

Thanks for the Hoffman suggestion. I'll certainly consider it. Still, I would sort of think that no matter Mr. Hoffman's senority or status, he has no call to speak to people the way he does. And that he cannot be spoken to in the same way he speaks. Even by a newbie.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3667
                                  RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 8:14 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:

quote:
                                  Originally posted by Scorereader

Thanks for the Hoffman suggestion. I'll certainly consider it. Still, I would sort of think that no matter Mr. Hoffman's senority or status, he has no call to speak to people the way he does. And that he cannot be spoken to in the same way he speaks. Even by a newbie.

I would like to give my opinion. It does not matter the senority of any person posting here and it is odd that you would think such a thing. It looks to me that, like any really good reporter, this man has done his research and come up with facts........and I do not know what in hell being a newie has to do with any of this.

Bushie

RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 8:18 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:

Hope that explains it.

No, it doesn't, but it DOES appear that I missed something on the other thread. I last read it this morning, and apparently I'm not aware of everything that was said later in the day.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                      RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 8:19 PM (permalink)
                                      All I know is now I am sorry that I posted the damned thing to begin with!

Bushie

RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 8:23 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by roossy90

Troublemaker.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                                          RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 8:24 PM (permalink)
                                          I will stand by Michael H. in ANY post that he makes.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 8:24 PM (permalink)
                                            Why? I went and bought some Ziploc quart freezer bags a little while ago. Tomorrow the eggs.

jvsmom

• Total Posts: 462
                                              RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 8:35 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:

Why? I went and bought some Ziploc quart freezer bags a little while ago. Tomorrow the eggs.

Good luck Michael - just be careful they don't melt and you end up with a big pot of egg drop soup seasoned with plastic.

And for what it's worth, I'm on Michael's side too. I checked out the Ziploc site myself, and everything he says is right on. I know I have a relatively low post count, but just the same, I've been a member of this forum for five years and I have never seen Michael talk to anyone in a way that wasn't deserved. I have, however, seen him be on the receiving end of some undeserved jabs. And I'm glad he sticks with us despite it all. He's one of my favorites here.

roossy90

RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 8:55 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:

quote:
                                                Originally posted by roossy90

Troublemaker.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                                                  RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Thu, 06/8/06 9:02 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:

Boil AWAY!

roossy90

RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Fri, 06/9/06 3:43 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

Boil AWAY!

I used the non freezer type and it came out fine, but the original post and photos disappeared.(photos were NOT of cooking)

Beer&Snausages

• Total Posts: 418
                                                      • Location: Owings Mills, MD
                                                      RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Fri, 06/9/06 11:48 AM (permalink)
                                                      We've been making these omelet for years, not only for scouting but also for backpacking trips. They're great because you can multi-task which is essential for space/weight efficiences. You can cook the whole meal in the bag and then for leaving no trace, use the same bag you just ate out of for packing out the egg shells and other trash you use on the trail.

When we're out on Scout or family campouts or backpacking, we have always used the freezer bags and never bring the water to a rolling boil, just a few bubbles and we've never had one melt. Of course always with proper adult supervision.

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                                                        • Location: Natchitoches, LA
                                                        RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Fri, 06/9/06 12:58 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:

Me too; but it's so much more fun to stand behind him and knife him in the back. He's cute when he wriggles!

roossy90

• Location: columbus, oh
                                                          RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Sun, 06/11/06 1:59 AM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:

Me too; but it's so much more fun to stand behind him and knife him in the back. He's cute when he wriggles!

I just want to see his butt move.

http://www.warhaus.com/smiles/butt.gif

Blower

• Total Posts: 69
                                                            • Location: Ann Arbor, MI
                                                            RE: Email Response From SC Johnson Wed, 06/14/06 5:45 PM (permalink)
                                                            Boil them in a vaccume or at say they top of everest :)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com