Employee Schedules?

Author
neiltyrell
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2012/04/05 15:40:13 (permalink)

Employee Schedules?

Hi all

In my restaurant we're considering using an online shift schedule so we can easily tell our staff when they are working. Do any of you use any of these systems already, and if so what is your experience with them?

Thanks
- Neil

13 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10324
    Re:Employee Schedules? 2012/04/05 22:24:52 (permalink)
    Should work OK if they have enough common sense to look at it!
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Employee Schedules? 2012/04/05 23:01:32 (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood...

I am not sure if the labor laws are different in the UK. Check with the labor dept. regarding any rules laws and/or CYA back-up just in case there is a dispute.

I don't know if you plan on this replacing a posting on a common public work area. If you rely on the employee technology alone (and they have some sort of issue) they might be limited in a means to getting the information from anyone but you...or a manager...that they may not be able to reach (by coincidence or on purpose if it is nice sunny day) as opposed to calling and asking someone (anyone)Then if a dispute arises about a termination due to being late or absent. My phone was stolen my computer had a virus. When it is a company phone or computer involved with an agreement it is easy to document. When it is not supplied by you...it can be an issue.

Technology often mucks up some very vital things that are important like tangible chain of command and witnesses to tone of interaction.

Yeah sure.

Am I agreeing with you or being sarcastic?
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/04/05 23:30:01
    neiltyrell
    Junior Burger
    Re:Employee Schedules? 2012/04/06 07:36:32 (permalink)
    That's a good point, in some of the ones I've looked at the schedule can also be downloaded, so at least I would have an copy if the service was down. So far the ones I have looked at are shiftplanning.com and whentowork.com.

From my view (as a manager) it would save me a lot of time not to have to phone the employees to tell them their shifts... I think also my employees will like to be able to quickly login to see what shifts they have been given.
    stubby77
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    Re:Employee Schedules? 2012/04/06 08:04:05 (permalink)
    I would not assume that any of your employees actually have computers or the internet at home. Few will admit to it (most will lie and say they have it just to avoid the ridicule) but the reality is that foodservice jobs don't pay much and internet is really expensive. I mean, I OWN my restaurant, and my wife and I often discuss getting rid of our tv and internet at home because it just costs too much. I would worry about online scheduling for any businesses that doesn't supply their employees with computers and internet access.
    lornaschinske
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Employee Schedules? 2012/04/06 12:50:41 (permalink)
    I can look at my Home Depot schedule online. It's great. I just log on and then I can copy my schedule onto the calendar I keep on the freezer. I like have the online one because I don't have to worry that I wrote it down wrong on a scrap of paper or worry about losing the scrap of paper.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Employee Schedules? 2012/04/06 14:40:53 (permalink)
    As long as there is not a rule that you must display it in a common area...you can have (if they are willing) employees sign a form that agrees to the delivery system and states that they will be responsible to access it some way ( as long as it is delivered in a timely manner without glitches in the system).

That helps when those who want to grip that technology is not part of their job function and should not be a requirement for them to have...if/when someone is late or does not show up.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10324
    Re:Employee Schedules? 2012/04/07 00:30:41 (permalink)
    Recently, I submitted a resume on-line, had a telephone interview, took an aptitude test on line, had a second telephone interview, was given a conditional offer on-line, filled out the required info for a background check on-line, obtained the forms for a drug screen on-line and printed the forms to take to the doc-in-the-box and went there. These were the first people I actually saw in this whole process!. Received confirmation of completion of hiring procedures by phone and internet and was extended an offer. The first time I actually meet someone from the company will be the day I report for work, IF I decide to go!
    The point is if everyone has access to the internet and the laws permit, it should work.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Employee Schedules? 2012/04/07 11:57:06 (permalink)
    Would you also be using the time clock & payroll features?

neiltyrell
    Junior Burger
    Re:Employee Schedules? 2012/04/09 07:01:59 (permalink)
    Yes, I'll consider using those features later however for the moment I'm just looking at the web based schedule. Certainly if we can export data from this system into our payroll software too that would be very useful.

We are also keen to use the 'text messaging' service to tell our employees when their shifts are. We think some of them won't login or check their emails very often! 
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Employee Schedules? 2012/04/09 07:47:12 (permalink)
    I am not here to rain you your parade. Just to throw things out...so you can consider them before you make it a system...and can be prepared...

Texting employees. You might want a standard way to handle questions comments and issues with the schedule that do not include texting exchanges after the get the schedule.

1. They might respond to the text hours later with "my dog graduates obedience school Tuesday 16th" You text back that you are home having dinner you will get back to them with an answer ASAP. Oh...ok. Willy was chewing the carpet. Willy was barking at the mailman. etc. etc. Or "thanks for the schedule...got it! You are so great!! Did anyone ever tell you that your eyes are sooo sexy?" Gulp. Yes the person having dinner with me who is wondering why I am rolling my eyes.

Just be careful and have an outside way to handle issues...that do not open the door to more issues.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/04/09 07:56:15
    Tristan225
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 352
    Re:Employee Schedules? 2012/04/09 18:47:55 (permalink)
    Just don't do the on-line urine test! The result could be quite a shock.
    Foodbme

Recently, I submitted a resume on-line, had a telephone interview, took an aptitude test on line, had a second telephone interview, was given a conditional offer on-line, filled out the required info for a background check on-line, obtained the forms for a drug screen on-line and printed the forms to take to the doc-in-the-box and went there. These were the first people I actually saw in this whole process!. Received confirmation of completion of hiring procedures by phone and internet and was extended an offer. The first time I actually meet someone from the company will be the day I report for work, IF I decide to go!
    The point is if everyone has access to the internet and the laws permit, it should work.

lornaschinske
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Employee Schedules? 2012/04/09 19:11:13 (permalink)
    neiltyrell
    ... We are also keen to use the 'text messaging' service to tell our employees when their shifts are. We think some of them won't login or check their emails very often! 

I just love my text messaging and the voice mail features of my phone. I quite often get messages with a week's delay. Some I never get.
    AdamEats
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Employee Schedules? 2012/04/12 15:27:46 (permalink)
    I don't have any experience but hotschedules is another one to look at.  From what I hear, they are pretty inexpensive, and I believe they have a text message feature.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1