Enchiladas: Stacked or rolled?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10216
Re:Enchiladas: Stacked or rolled? 2011/09/26 02:31:51 (permalink)
THANX! for the recipe Mar. She has a similiar recipe in her 2nd edition "Chili Madness" Cookbook that is slightly different. It calls for using chili instead of red sauce with meat. Never had chili in enchiladas before. Think I'll go with your variation. I guess you can make enchiladas with almost any stuffing - chicken, cheese, pork, beef, green chiles, etc
SeamusD
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1004
Re:Enchiladas: Stacked or rolled? 2011/09/26 09:50:49 (permalink)
I've also never heard of stacked enchiladas, only ever had rolled in any restaurant, and that's how I make mine. I started making my own roasted tomatillo sauce, and I did a pan of chicken/black bean enchiladas with that recently, and it turned out rather good.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Enchiladas: Stacked or rolled? 2011/09/26 20:26:04 (permalink)
From the current Saveur Mag:
Enchiladas
MAKES 12
 8 dried New Mexico chiles, stemmed and seeded
1 oz. Mexican chocolate, such as Ibarra, roughly chopped
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 saltine crackers or 2 1/2 tbsp. bread crumbs
1 clove garlic
1 whole clove
1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp. canola oil
Kosher salt, to taste
2 cups queso añejo, grated, plus more to garnish
1/2 small yellow onion, minced
12 corn tortillas
Make the red chile sauce: Heat chiles in a 12″ skillet over high heat, and cook, turning as needed, until toasted, about 5 minutes; transfer chiles to a blender with chocolate, oregano, cinnamon, crackers, garlic, clove, and 1 1/2 cups boiling water, and let sit for 5 minutes. Puree until smooth, and then pour sauce through a fine strainer into a bowl.
Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat, and add chile sauce; cook, stirring often, until reduced and thickened, about 6 minutes. Season with salt and set aside.
 To assemble the enchiladas, combine the queso añejo and onion in a small bowl and set aside. Pour oil to a depth of 2″ in a 6-qt. Dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°.
 Using tongs grasp all the tortillas in a stack and submerge in oil, swirling in oil until slightly fried and pliable, about 15 seconds. (The surface of the tortillas should puff up in tiny pockets in several places.) Remove from oil and set aside on a plate to cool. (Alternatively, you may wrap the tortillas in a damp towel and briefly microwave to steam.)
 Dip each tortilla in chile sauce until completely coated. Transfer to a plate and top with 3 tbsp. cheese filling; roll up like a cigar and sprinkle with more cheese. Serve immediately with rice and beans.

//  
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7843
Re:Enchiladas: Stacked or rolled? 2011/09/26 22:25:22 (permalink)
I see a disaster happening if dipping all of the tortillas in hot oil at once.  Am I reading that incorrectly?

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Enchiladas: Stacked or rolled? 2011/09/26 23:33:57 (permalink)
mar52
I see a disaster happening if dipping all of the tortillas in hot oil at once.  Am I reading that incorrectly?

The Recipe came from Saveur Magazine, but I read it as putting all the tortillas in the oil at the same time also.
I guess they think they will separate and float and then take them out one at a time?????
They say put 2" of oil in a 6 qt pan. I don't think it will boil over but who knows!
What impressed me was the Ingredients List, not the directions.
I've never seen that many ingredients in one Enchilada recipe.
When I make Enchiladas, I don't put the tortillas in oil at all anyway. I use them plain.
To be on the safe side, I'd put the Tortillas in one at a time if you fry them. Or call the Fire Dept. and put them on standby!
Penn German Chef
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
Re:Enchiladas: Stacked or rolled? 2011/09/27 00:21:50 (permalink)
When you grow up in Northern Albuquerque North you learn to have them flat.  I personally enjoy them done Christmas ( New Mexico style  Red and Green sauce made with Hatch Chiles) Stuffed with Carne Adovada (baked or simmered   Hatch Red Chile sauce marinated pork shoulder cubes ). I prefer Blue Corn  over regular  Corn Tortillas finished with a light topping of Mexican crumbled cheese and two over easy eggs. Plate is completed with rice and refried pinto beans done in Manteca. Then add a fresh basket of unlimited Sopapillas ( puffy deep fried squares of bread style dough) and wild native honey . I have been eating Enchiladas in this fashion for over 50yrs so they are really nothing new in the Land of Enchantment. I have even found this style in Reno ,NV however they use lousy California Chiles for the sauce. 
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Enchiladas: Stacked or rolled? 2011/09/27 00:37:47 (permalink)
You threw me with the word Manteca so I looked it up.
Did you know there's a town in CA called Lard,(Manteca) CA
Are you originally from PA?
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7843
Re:Enchiladas: Stacked or rolled? 2011/09/27 01:27:42 (permalink)
Jane gives an alternative to dipping the tortillas in oil...

The alternative is chili water:

To one quart water, add 1/4 cup of ground mild chile in a skillet wider than the tortillas.  Stir until well mixed, then bring to a simmer.

It saves the calories (laughing) of using the oil.  It also doesn't taste as good.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Enchiladas: Stacked or rolled? 2011/09/27 01:42:01 (permalink)
mar52

Jane gives an alternative to dipping the tortillas in oil...

The alternative is chili water:

To one quart water, add 1/4 cup of ground mild chile in a skillet wider than the tortillas.  Stir until well mixed, then bring to a simmer.

It saves the calories (laughing) of using the oil.  It also doesn't taste as good.

Nothing tastes as good unless you fry it in LARD! Then it tastes even better!
Penn German Chef
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
Re:Enchiladas: Stacked or rolled? 2011/09/27 02:13:43 (permalink)
Yep Muncy/Williamsport, first  years of life with parents that grew up on Penn Dutch and Yankee versions of Southern mountain cooking. Over the years of cooking I have found it interesting how food styles/types  have moved North and South along the Appalachian Mountain Chain. However bulk of youth was in New Mexico and where I learned to prepare traditional New Mexico Style food along with foods of the major European traditions.  
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Enchiladas: Stacked or rolled? 2011/09/27 02:59:44 (permalink)
Penn German Chef

Yep Muncy/Williamsport, first  years of life with parents that grew up on Penn Dutch and Yankee versions of Southern mountain cooking. Over the years of cooking I have found it interesting how food styles/types  have moved North and South along the Appalachian Mountain Chain. However bulk of youth was in New Mexico and where I learned to prepare traditional New Mexico Style food along with foods of the major European traditions.  

My mothers family came up the Susquehanna and rooted in Renovo before moving on to Clearfield & DuBois. My Uncle, John Egli, was the basketball coach at Penn State in the 60's. He was from Williamsport.
As a Chef, have you considered developing PA and Southwestern fusion food. How about Scrapple Enchiladas! Or Pot Roast Tamales? Venison Chorizo anyone? Lebanon Bologna Tacos??
SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 1004
Re:Enchiladas: Stacked or rolled? 2011/09/27 11:07:32 (permalink)
My family is from the same area of PA (Cogan Station/Salladasburg/Williamsport), and the large meals my grandmother would fix were legendary. I'm glad she wrote everything down in notebooks, because I have a cookbook now with all of the dishes she'd make for us. She lived her whole life right there, and her menu reflected that, as well as things she picked up from various cookbooks over her 98 years. Down home, stick to your ribs, great food.
Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1449
Re:Enchiladas: Stacked or rolled? 2011/09/28 21:11:44 (permalink)
I roll mine. Was not aware of technique of dipping in sauce. I assemble, roll, place in casserole which has sauce on the bottom and pour sauce over them before they hit the oven. They turn out great. Never heard of stacked enchiladas..
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Enchiladas: Stacked or rolled? 2011/09/29 02:08:35 (permalink)
Cosmos

I roll mine. Was not aware of technique of dipping in sauce. I assemble, roll, place in casserole which has sauce on the bottom and pour sauce over them before they hit the oven. They turn out great. Never heard of stacked enchiladas..

Welcome to the Club!
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
Re:Enchiladas: Stacked or rolled? 2011/09/29 09:21:16 (permalink)
Foodbme

Cosmos

Welcome to the Club!

Same here, I've recently switched to flour tortillas, I like the texture  better.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1