Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

English Muffins

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 43
chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
English Muffins Thu, 12/20/07 12:59 PM (permalink)
Although I do like Wolfermans, I usually buy Thomas Emglish muffins, which seem to be getting smaller, I need to eat 2. Are there any regional favorites one should know about?

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
    RE: English Muffins Thu, 12/20/07 2:59 PM (permalink)
    I found that they are fairly easy to make your own. Save your empty tuna cans to use as a mold. A quick Google search should turn up the actual recipe. I make mine in an electric frying pan. I used to get Wolfermans when they were sold in the Sara Lee Outlet store, but I started making my own when they no longer carried them and I saw what the mail order price was.

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
      RE: English Muffins Thu, 12/20/07 3:25 PM (permalink)
      I don't know if they are regional or not, but Bay's are my favorite. They come in the cold case at the store....I freeze mine, nuke one for 10 secs, pull the halves apart and toast. Open for any other brand suggestions. I like these much better than Thomas. They are available in Maryland at all Super Targets and Wal-Marts.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: English Muffins Thu, 12/20/07 4:01 PM (permalink)
        I used to default to Thomas' but over time, I've been less and less impressed.

The other day I stopped at a cafe across the street and had their specialty English muffin, egg, tomato and goat cheese breakfast sandwich and noticed the english muffin was some other brand and it was softer and I realized it went great with this sandwich and realized that I should maybe widen my scope and, as I write this, maybe pay attention to not writing exhausting run on sentences like this that I am apparently too lazy to correct.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
          RE: English Muffins Thu, 12/20/07 4:25 PM (permalink)
          I, too, am becoming disappointed with Thomas muffins.

Currently, I try to buy ones baked by Homestead Baking of East Providence, RI and sold under many different brand names. I like the ones from the Aldi/Trader Joe's stores as well (The ones sold in northeast TJ's may come from East Providence). The Big Y supermarket chain in CT/MA has excellent ones.

This is one item where I find the house brands are better than name brands.

tarragon

• Total Posts: 354
            RE: English Muffins Thu, 12/20/07 7:44 PM (permalink)
            I used to get the Safeway brand english muffins, but my local Safeway seems to have stopped carrying them! They may have discontinued making them, I don't know (I haven't inquired to Safeway about this). They made a very good tasting sourdough muffin, though.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
              RE: English Muffins Thu, 12/20/07 8:16 PM (permalink)
              Authentic English Muffins---- Stolen from www.cooksrecipes.com
              This recipe yields exceptional homemade crusty, cornmeal-coated English muffins, ideally moist and rough-textured on the inside. More work is required than other recipes, but the outcome far outweighs the extra effort.

Starter:
              2 cups warm water
              2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
              1/2 cup whole wheat flour
              3/4 teaspoon dry active yeast
              In a medium bowl, stir together water and yeast. Let stand a couple of minutes to dissolve yeast. Stir in all purpose flour and whole wheat to make a thick batter.
              Cover with a cloth and let stand at room temperature for at least 4 hours or overnight.
              Sponge:
              1 teaspoon dry active yeast
              3/4 cup warm water (110 to 115*F / 45*C )
              2 cups starter - room temperature
              3/4 cup scalded milk, cooled to room temperature
              2 cups unbleached bread flour
              In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the 2 cups starter (reserve remaining starter for dough), and mix well; Stir in the milk and bread flour to make a thick batter. Cover and let stand 1 hour.
              English Muffins:
              Sponge mixture
              Remaining starter
              4 cups (approximately) unbleached bread flour
              4 tablespoons honey
              2 1/2 teaspoons salt
              4 tablespoons dry buttermilk powder
              2 tablespoons cornmeal
              Stir down the sponge mixture and add the remaining starter, flour, honey, salt, buttermilk powder and cornmeal. Beat with a wooden spoon for about 5 minutes. Dough will be soft. Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
              Lightly deflate the dough. On a work surface sprinkled with cornmeal, roll or pat dough out to a 3/4-inch thickness. Cut into 3 1/2-inch rounds using a cookie cutter. Place on a baking sheet that's been sprinkled lightly with cornmeal, cover, and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
              Heat a cast iron frying pan or griddle over medium heat. Sprinkle cooking surface with cornmeal. Cook a few muffins at a time (do not crowd the pan) until bottoms are browned, about 5 to 8 minutes. Turn and brown the other side, adjust heat if muffins are browning too quickly. Transfer cooked muffins to a wire rack and cool completely.
              To serve, split muffins with the tines of a fork and serve with desired toppings. Store in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days or freeze and use as needed.
              Makes 14 to 16 English Muffins.
              Note: For muffins with more "nooks and crannys", the dough must almost be of a batter-like consistency. Muffin rings can be purchased in kitchen specialty stores, or you can "create your own" by removing the tops and bottoms of large tuna cans or similar type cans. The rings support the loose batter and allow the muffins to retain their shape as they rise and bake.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                RE: English Muffins Sun, 12/23/07 1:53 PM (permalink)
                I got spoiled living in New England.
                After trying the Bolos Levados "Portuguese Muffins", it is hard to eat a regular english muffin.
                As a matter of fact, I have my contacts up there still, and they send me "care packages" several times a year.
                It is expensive to get them thru Amazon or the factory in Fall River.
                I think its like 30 bucks for 2 six packs....
                They freeze well, but half the time they dont last in the freezer. I cant help myself. I tell myself to ration them out, but, I just cannot. I have no self control.
                I can get 6 six packs for 20 bucks when my bud's send them to me.
                Hopefully, I will have some after the new year.

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
                  RE: English Muffins Tue, 12/25/07 3:10 PM (permalink)
                  Foodbme, I made a batch of the recipe you posted subbing ground flax seed for the whole wheat and Fayge yogurt for the buttermilk ('cause that's what I had on hand). Pretty much an all day affair (thanks for holiday weekends), the end result was just great. The muffins tasted as good as any I've ever had and that includes my beloved Wolfermann's. Thanks for the posting.

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                    RE: English Muffins Wed, 12/26/07 11:21 AM (permalink)
                    I try (almost) all the other brands in the store but always seem to come back to Thomas original. I haven't tried the Bay brand but have seen it around some of the stores.

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 788
                      RE: English Muffins Wed, 12/26/07 12:10 PM (permalink)
                      Have more or less given up on Thomas's, although I still like their toasting loaves. Trader Joe's is better these days

Foodbme

RE: English Muffins Wed, 12/26/07 2:34 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

Foodbme, I made a batch of the recipe you posted subbing ground flax seed for the whole wheat and Fayge yogurt for the buttermilk ('cause that's what I had on hand). Pretty much an all day affair (thanks for holiday weekends), the end result was just great. The muffins tasted as good as any I've ever had and that includes my beloved Wolfermann's. Thanks for the posting.

Glad it worked out. When I looked at the recipe, it appeared to be a little "involved". I'll give it a try myself. Have a great New Year!Foodbme in beautiful AZ!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
                          RE: English Muffins Wed, 12/26/07 2:55 PM (permalink)
                          I had my first English muffin at Yankee Doodle in New haven in 1950. It was a Thomas'. I've tried others over the years, including Wolferman's and Bay. I'll stick with Thomas'.

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                            RE: English Muffins Fri, 12/28/07 10:52 AM (permalink)
                            I've made my own english muffins on occasion and it can be time consumming, but worth the effort.
                            The recipe above is fairly close but I have a guestion about the starter.
                            I have an active starter or two, maybe 3 going now and I know that this can't be achived overnight. My starters take at least a week to become what I would call active and ready to use. This time of year I always have one on the counter ready to use, must be fed daily. The others I keep in a jar in the refrigerator and feed weekly.
                            For a true english muffin flavor it should be almost like a sourdough.
                            Also good luck trying to find tuna cans that you can remove both ends today. I haven't checked but maybe a small can of pineapples {same size} may still be of use. The last time I found a can that you could remove both ends was with a can of imported squingili from Italy. And yes I did save the cans I also use them for egg sandwiches on my muffins, works great.
                            Chow Jim

MiamiDon

RE: English Muffins Fri, 12/28/07 11:23 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by roossy90

After trying the Bolos Levados "Portuguese Muffins", it is hard to eat a regular english muffin.
                              As a matter of fact, I have my contacts up there still, and they send me "care packages" several times a year.
                              They freeze well, but half the time they dont last in the freezer. I cant help myself. I tell myself to ration them out, but, I just cannot. I have no self control.

Those look so good... I went and ordered a dozen through Amazon.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6067
                                RE: English Muffins Fri, 12/28/07 11:27 AM (permalink)
                                Hi,
                                I too have given up on Thomas's...too little "nook" and too much "cranny". Translate...too airy..the muffin equivalent to Wonder Bread! Most store brands are better!
                                leethebard

roossy90

RE: English Muffins Sat, 12/29/07 1:54 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by MiamiDon

quote:

You will love them.....I am jonesing right now.. I wish my friend would ship them to me already!

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                                    RE: English Muffins Sun, 12/30/07 9:21 AM (permalink)
                                    Anyone interested in a recipe that skips the starter and works well in a pinch check out the www.kingarthurflour.com website. They have one there that I've used when I didn't have an active starter ready for use, a very good substitute. They also sell the muffin rings fairly cheap, better than a tuna can. Chow Jim

Foodbme

RE: English Muffins Mon, 12/31/07 2:13 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Jimeats

Anyone interested in a recipe that skips the starter and works well in a pinch check out the www.kingarthurflour.com website. They have one there that I've used when I didn't have an active starter ready for use, a very good substitute. They also sell the muffin rings fairly cheap, better than a tuna can. Chow Jim

They also have 3 recipes for the Portugese Muffins you guys have been raving about!

roossy90

RE: English Muffins Wed, 01/2/08 3:13 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:
                                        Originally posted by Jimeats

They also have 3 recipes for the Portugese Muffins you guys have been raving about!

I just happen to have a bag of King Arthur Flour in my fridge.
                                        I brought it with me from Maine when I moved almost 2 years ago!

salindgren

• Total Posts: 275
                                          RE: English Muffins Sun, 01/20/08 6:13 AM (permalink)
                                          Well, my goodness, that is really nice of Foodbme to post that recipe, and I am happy for people who are ready to get that involved. But I just don't think that will happen in my sad case. My baking patience is confined to popovers (with maybe 4 ingredients), which are super easy, and really pretty darned good, and the occasional corn muffin, which also requires minimal effort. Hardest part on the muffins is deciding what cheese, chile pepper, or berry to toss in the mix.
                                          But, on English muffins... Yes, I suppose we all grew up on the Thomas product, and I guess I recall them being better long ago as well. I freeze them too, but I don't think they hold up all that well, they seem to get very unfresh that way. I have tried some commercial products (from Smart&Final, in LA), but they have neither nooks nor crannies, and just are not right. What would be nice for me is the idea of a local bakery that I could walk to (I'm in Downtown LA), producing fresh English muffins every day, maybe 40% larger than the Thomas' unit. It's kind of embarrassing that when I make eggs Benedict for my girlfriend, the poached egg is way bigger than the Thomas' muffin! You can't even see the thing. I want a fresh, five inch diameter muffin, with the nooks and all, the corn meal on both sides, and the unsplit thing about twice as thick as the current Thomas' product. I'll just keep dreaming, I guess...
                                          -Scott Lindgren scottlindgren@netzero.net

MiamiDon

RE: English Muffins Sun, 01/20/08 8:12 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:

quote:
                                            Originally posted by MiamiDon

quote:

You will love them.....I am jonesing right now.. I wish my friend would ship them to me already!

You were right! They are very good. They differ from a common English muffin in that they have a finer crumb, are more like an egg bread, and are a little sweet, with a faint tang. They keep very well in the fridge. I highly recommend them; they are better than what I recall of the English muffins I got from Wolferman's by mail.

roossy90

RE: English Muffins Mon, 01/21/08 6:32 PM (permalink)
                                              I got an email today saying that my friend would be at the store tomorrow to get them..Thats when the fresh ones come in.
                                              He had better get me a bunch of them...

I told you they were good....

roossy90

RE: English Muffins Wed, 02/20/08 1:17 PM (permalink)

CALLING MIAMIDON!!!

I found a new reasonable place online...
                                                Sardinias in Massachusetts....... google them for bolos levados or port. muffins. you should find them.
                                                7 packs of 4 for $31.50.. thats a really good online price..

Here is their link..

https://sardinhas.com/catalog/index.php

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                                                  • Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
                                                  RE: English Muffins Wed, 02/20/08 1:47 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I had my first English muffin at Yankee Doodle in New haven in 1950. It was a Thomas'. I've tried others over the years, including Wolferman's and Bay. I'll stick with Thomas'.

I'm with you, Michael. I had tried Wolferman's a while back and just recently sampled Bay's for the first time and I don't think either are near as good as Thomas'. jmho, pb

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                                    • Location: West Palm Beach, FL
                                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                                    RE: English Muffins Fri, 02/22/08 3:20 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:

CALLING MIAMIDON!!!

I found a new reasonable place online...
                                                    Sardinias in Massachusetts....... google them for bolos levados or port. muffins. you should find them.
                                                    7 packs of 4 for $31.50.. thats a really good online price..

Here is their link..

https://sardinhas.com/catalog/index.php

MiamiDon, Rossy sent me a text wanting to inform you that they come in packs of 6, not 4. She sends her apologies.

mikez629

• Total Posts: 307
                                                      RE: English Muffins Fri, 02/22/08 3:32 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:

This recipe yields exceptional homemade crusty, cornmeal-coated English muffins, ideally moist and rough-textured on the inside. More work is required than other recipes, but the outcome far outweighs the extra effort.

Starter:
                                                      2 cups warm water
                                                      In a medium bowl, stir together water and yeast. Let stand a couple of minutes to dissolve yeast. Stir in all purpose flour and whole wheat to make a thick batter.
                                                      Cover with a cloth and let stand at room temperature for at least 4 hours or overnight.
                                                      Sponge:
                                                      In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the 2 cups starter (reserve remaining starter for dough), and mix well; Stir in the milk and bread flour to make a thick batter. Cover and let stand 1 hour.
                                                      English Muffins:
                                                      Sponge mixture
                                                      Remaining starter
                                                      4 tablespoons honey
                                                      2 1/2 teaspoons salt
                                                      2 tablespoons cornmeal
                                                      Stir down the sponge mixture and add the remaining starter, flour, honey, salt, buttermilk powder and cornmeal. Beat with a wooden spoon for about 5 minutes. Dough will be soft. Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
                                                      Lightly deflate the dough. On a work surface sprinkled with cornmeal, roll or pat dough out to a 3/4-inch thickness. Cut into 3 1/2-inch rounds using a cookie cutter. Place on a baking sheet that's been sprinkled lightly with cornmeal, cover, and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
                                                      Heat a cast iron frying pan or griddle over medium heat. Sprinkle cooking surface with cornmeal. Cook a few muffins at a time (do not crowd the pan) until bottoms are browned, about 5 to 8 minutes. Turn and brown the other side, adjust heat if muffins are browning too quickly. Transfer cooked muffins to a wire rack and cool completely.
                                                      To serve, split muffins with the tines of a fork and serve with desired toppings. Store in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days or freeze and use as needed.
                                                      Note: For muffins with more "nooks and crannys", the dough must almost be of a batter-like consistency. Muffin rings can be purchased in kitchen specialty stores, or you can "create your own" by removing the tops and bottoms of large tuna cans or similar type cans. The rings support the loose batter and allow the muffins to retain their shape as they rise and bake.

Too much work-buy Thomas's

Foodbme

RE: English Muffins Fri, 02/22/08 6:36 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by mikez629

quote:

Starter:
                                                        2 cups warm water
                                                        Sponge:
                                                        English Muffins:
                                                        Sponge mixture
                                                        Remaining starter
                                                        4 tablespoons honey
                                                        2 1/2 teaspoons salt
                                                        2 tablespoons cornmeal

Too much work-buy Thomas's

As the Recipe says, "AUTHENTIC English Muffins. There are Hamburgers and then there's McDonalds. Same difference.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6067
                                                          RE: English Muffins Sat, 02/23/08 9:25 AM (permalink)
                                                          Personally,I don't care whatThomas's puts on their wrapper....they're just not that good...they're also smaller than they were. They crumble now under even fairly soft butter or margarine...like so many other things,I doubt these nook & cranny muffins are using the same nooks and crannys they did years ago...Just NOT the same as 30-40 years ago!!!

jimsock9

• Total Posts: 285
                                                            • Location: cloud lake, FL
                                                            RE: English Muffins Sat, 02/23/08 9:32 AM (permalink)
                                                            I just won't buy anything other than Thomas'!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 43

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com