Escaping embarrassment

Author
bartl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
2011/08/03 20:53:34 (permalink)

Escaping embarrassment

Remember any times that you came very close to embarrassment, but escaped due to just pure, dumb luck? I can recall two times.

One time, in my youth, I was at a major Halloween party at a club in the Lower East Side of Manhattan. There was a guy who appeared to be followed around by a video crew. Everybody was sure he was Frank Zappa, but just about everybody was afraid to come up to him and ask. So I decided to be the one to risk embarrassment. I walked up to him, and, before I had a chance to say anything, he said to me, "Aren't you Bart Lidofsky?" which, of course, let me know that he was NOT Frank Zappa, who would have no idea who I was.

Another time, when I was older and should have known better, I was at a party with a lot of show business folk. A charmer (and a truly nice guy) and I were talking to a tall, very attractive young woman. He told her, "You should be a model!" I, forgetting that there were a number of models at the party blurted, "She can't be a model! She's too physically fit!" Turned out that she was a physical trainer, and was flattered rather than insulted by my comment.

Bart

8 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8086
    Re:Escaping embarrassment 2011/08/03 21:11:54 (permalink)
    Hmmm...
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5158
    Re:Escaping embarrassment 2011/08/04 09:22:12 (permalink)
    bartl

I walked up to him, and, before I had a chance to say anything, he said to me, "Aren't you Bart Lidofsky?" which, of course, let me know that he was NOT Frank Zappa, who would have no idea who I was.

So who was he?

Brad
    ladygodiva
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 96
    Re:Escaping embarrassment 2011/08/08 20:11:16 (permalink)
    one day I had a huge interview with a great company in Akron OH, I had been back for 3 separate interviews, the final interview came, I was introduced to the staff and shown around, I was introduced to a woman who had appeared to be pregnant, I smiled and asked her when she was due, she appeared puzzeled and said what do you mean, I quickly realized she was'nt pregnant, so I tried to cover by asking due for a raise, this woman turned out to be the bosses sister, who happened to work there as well, and sad to say that I did not get the job.  which was all very well, she looked way to old to be with child
    bartl
    Re:Escaping embarrassment 2011/08/09 23:01:26 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

bartl

I walked up to him, and, before I had a chance to say anything, he said to me, "Aren't you Bart Lidofsky?" which, of course, let me know that he was NOT Frank Zappa, who would have no idea who I was.

So who was he?

Brad

Beats the hell out of me. But he could have made some decent money as a Frank Zappa celebrity lookalike.

Bart
    bartl
    Re:Escaping embarrassment 2011/08/09 23:05:31 (permalink)
    A sort of reverse case: I was interviewing for a computer job (pre-IBM PC). The interviewer asked me what I thought of a certain computer. I told them, in detail, politely (less politely, I used to call  the computer, with a powerful processor hampered by a horrible motherboard,  a "horse drawn Porsche"). He then informed me that this was the computer they were going to use as a workstation.  I strongly recommended that they choose another system. Needless to say, didn't get the job. Needful to say: in about a year, the computer (the TI-99) was discontinued, and the remaining units dumped on the market (for about 5-10% of their original selling price). I assume that the guy who interviewed me was sorry he didn't listen to me...

Bart
    post edited by bartl - 2011/08/09 23:07:53
    ladygodiva
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 96
    Re:Escaping embarrassment 2011/08/10 19:27:41 (permalink)
    bartl

A sort of reverse case: I was interviewing for a computer job (pre-IBM PC). The interviewer asked me what I thought of a certain computer. I told them, in detail, politely (less politely, I used to call  the computer, with a powerful processor hampered by a horrible motherboard,  a "horse drawn Porsche"). He then informed me that this was the computer they were going to use as a workstation.  I strongly recommended that they choose another system. Needless to say, didn't get the job. Needful to say: in about a year, the computer (the TI-99) was discontinued, and the remaining units dumped on the market (for about 5-10% of their original selling price). I assume that the guy who interviewed me was sorry he didn't listen to me...

Bart

sound advice,  years ago I worked at a photolab in Walgreens,  and in 2004 I was headhunted by the competition, Don't get me wrong I loved my lab in Walgreens but wanted to hear what they had to say and offer. (I reallly had no intention to leave Walgreens at the time, at the time the Management loved me, and the pay was excellent, again at the time) 
    I was interviewed by the competition and they were proud to tell me that they were going to get the Kodak Flex machine, which was in 2004 quite outdated, about 3 or 4 years outdated, I kindly and with all respect told them that, the manager said it was top of the line, I laughed, he said what would you recommend, I told him the Fuji Frontier, the same one in my lab,
    well this went on and on, at the end of my interview, the competition told me he changed his mind and would not be offering me a job,  I told him to XYZ examine his zipper, the mouse was trying to get out of the house. and I left the store.
    claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:Escaping embarrassment 2011/08/27 15:27:12 (permalink)
    Escaping to a toilet stall was my way of escaping embarrassment.  I was at our city's large downtown library.  When going to the restroom I accidentally walked into the men's rather that the ladies'(the urinals were a big clue that I was in ther wrong place!).  It was empty except for me.  Before I could turn around to leave, I heard the door begin to open, I dashed into a stall.locked it & held my breath.  As soon as "he" was finished & left the restroom, I opened the door, peeked out, saw no one around & scooted out.  I was still embarrassed waiting in the booth, but thankful that I did not come face to face with any "men".
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Escaping embarrassment 2011/08/27 16:33:10 (permalink)
    When I was a teenager I went to the movies with my friends, as I started to go from the aisle to my seat, I for no reason, genuflected. As a Catholic, one genuflects before entering a Pew, my friends were all laughing, so I pretended I had dropped my money and was looking for it. Never could figure what caused my brain fart!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1