Escarole Soup

Author
blue heaven
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 491
2008/01/06 08:39:11 (permalink)

Escarole Soup

Hi everyone.....just wondering do any of you have a recipe for escarole (Italian spinach?) soup. an old friend of mine's grandmother used to make it and I loved it.

15 Replies Related Threads

Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Escarole Soup 2008/01/06 09:28:54 (permalink)
    I just wing the recipe:
    I saute chopped garlic (maybe 3 cloves)and maybe a couple three tablespoons of chopped oninons in butter until soft.

Add cleaned chopped chopped escarole(w/ a little salt and pepper), saute for a few minutes add home made chicken stock (say...2 cups).

Then I add a can of cannellini or navy beans (but I puree half the can or so in a processor first). Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Escarole Soup 2008/01/06 09:34:08 (permalink)
    This is so simple, almost nothing to it.
    Clean the escarole very well, it can be sandy.
    In a hot saute pan, olive oil, garlic crushed {easy to remove} sweat the garlic then remove.
    Add washed escarole saute untill just limp then shock in ice water.
    Have a sauce pot of hot chicken stock ready, not broth.
    Add drained escarole. done!
    Serve with shaved percino and a good crusty Tuscan type bread.
    If on hand I sometimes add anchovies to the saute process they dissapear and adds another level of flavor. Chow Jim
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6274
    RE: Escarole Soup 2008/01/06 10:19:03 (permalink)
    I agree "ah scadole"
    soup was a staple in our Italian house. The escarole and chicken soup is a tsate treat. Try adding ancini pepe pasta and tiny meatballs for a great Italian wedding soup...I'll second...crusty Italian bread...a good dipping olive oil....Pecorino Romano grated into it....A nice Chianti...and slow the night down!!!!!!!
    leethebard
    blue heaven
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    RE: Escarole Soup 2008/01/06 11:36:38 (permalink)
    Thanks guys....sounds delicious. I am off to Whole Foods. Jimeats what is the difference between chicken stock and chicken broth?
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Escarole Soup 2008/01/06 12:15:39 (permalink)
    In the summer,my Noni-grandmother would make this soup with wild dandelion greens----and occasionally with a little "Pastina".
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13503
    RE: Escarole Soup 2008/01/06 13:59:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

In the summer,my Noni-grandmother would make this soup with wild dandelion greens----and occasionally with a little "Pastina".

Tiki, you have been quite for a little while. Glad to see you back on line. Why don't you drive down to Mobile for our February meeting.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Escarole Soup 2008/01/07 08:26:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by blue heaven

Thanks guys....sounds delicious. I am off to Whole Foods. Jimeats what is the difference between chicken stock and chicken broth?
    Simple, Broth is just broth loaded with sodium for flavor.
    Now stock is long cooked to reduce and develop the flavors of whatever is added to it, carrots onions celery seasonings etc.
    Makes all the diffrence in the world in a good soup and is the cornerstone for some great sauces and graveys.
    I recently had a pasta dish at a friends house whos wife is from Italy. Very simple, she had a large sauce pan with some chicken stock in it almost to the boil, added the fresh cavatelli just too cover.
    As the stock would cook down she just laddled on a little more stock as needed.
    Much like you would do a rissoto. The chicken stock was the sauce for the macaroni, so simple and Oh so good. Chow Jim
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18459
    RE: Escarole Soup 2008/01/07 11:19:37 (permalink)
    Sausage, Bean and Broccoli Rabe Soup

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 pound Italian bulk sausage - half hot, half sweet
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 carrot, chopped
    1 large potato, peeled and chopped into small dice
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 cans of cannelini beans, drained
    Salt and pepper
    4 cups chopped broccoli rabe
    2 quarts chicken stock
    Ditalini or other small pasta shape
    Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano to pass at table

Heat medium soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and sausage and brown. Add vegetables and beans. Season with salt and pepper. Cook mixture 5 minutes to begin to soften the vegetables. Meanwhile, cook ditalini until al dente and drain. Add rabe to the vegetables and wilt. Add stock and cover pot. Raise heat and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 10 minutes, then add cooked ditalini and continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Adjust seasonings and serve soup with the grated cheese, for topping.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Escarole Soup 2008/01/07 15:03:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

Tiki, you have been quite for a little while. Glad to see you back on line. Why don't you drive down to Mobile for our February meeting.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I'd LOVE too---but---since the surgury--my medical cost-combined with being out of work-and thus Income!--has put a MAJOR dent in the budget--and--i would love meet up again-but i also have a couple of friends that are nominated for a bunch of Handy awards from the Blues foundation in Tunica and i think its way past time i made to one of them--my friend Bill Homens/Watermelon Slim--is up for SIX nominations for the second year in a row--that unheard of--hope they come to thier senses and give him at least one this year!!! Anyway--thats in may and so is my birthday so Janie said it just may be doable.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13503
    RE: Escarole Soup 2008/01/07 16:41:37 (permalink)
    Tiki, ask Janie for some more money and come on down to Mobile.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Frankman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: Escarole Soup 2008/01/07 17:01:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by blue heaven

Hi everyone.....just wondering do any of you have a recipe for escarole (Italian spinach?) soup. an old friend of mine's grandmother used to make it and I loved it.

My grandmother used to make it too. She called it "scalora" (emphasis on the "o" and roll the "r"). But I hated it. Ick! Yuk! Pooeey! However when she made it without the escarole it was great. It had those tiny meatballs in it that I used to always save for last.
    rouxdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: Escarole Soup 2008/01/08 08:04:10 (permalink)
    Escarole and white bean soup is a favorite. Living in So. New Mexico for over 8 yrs. now, I have never seen Escarole in the grocery store(s). Did a search for a substitute. Come up with kale, swiss Chard and thirdly, spinach. What do you think?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18459
    RE: Escarole Soup 2008/01/08 10:09:55 (permalink)
    Kale would work. Have you seen broccoli rabe, which may also be labeled rapini? By the way, if you have any Asian markets around you should be able to find escarole and broccoli rabe/
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Escarole Soup 2008/01/13 21:37:32 (permalink)

My grandmother used to make it too. She called it "scalora" (emphasis on the "o" and roll the "r"). But I hated it. Ick! Yuk! Pooeey! However when she made it without the escarole it was great. It had those tiny meatballs in it that I used to always save for last.

Ah but my grandmother made 'scarola sauteed with (lots of garlic) and Bertolli. That was good stuff!!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6274
    RE: Escarole Soup 2008/01/26 21:27:55 (permalink)
    It's 20 degrees outside here in Jersey. You guys gave me an idea. My Grandma always made"schcadoll" and beans in her Italian kitchen...Olive oil and garlic sauteed,cleaned escarole..'til it wilts..add a can of Progresso Canellini beans, salt..and a bit more salt...and enjoy with crusty Italian bread.Superb for a winter day!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1