Espresso Truck -- Expenses & Revenue Info

Author
JMac300
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2005/12/12 20:47:05 (permalink)

Espresso Truck -- Expenses & Revenue Info

Hi -- just getting started & putting together my own espresso truck. Can you please share with me what your average breakdown of expenses are, cost of product, average cost of a cup o' jo.

I'm crunching numbers and really need a lot of help to make this fly.

You can email me on this board or directly to: jmac300@hotmail.

Thank you so much.
I hope to share my wealth of information with other newbies.

Mac

6 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Espresso Truck -- Expenses & Revenue Info 2005/12/13 13:58:42 (permalink)
    Wish I could help you on the costs.. Shouldnt be too hard to figure out though. Just compare the weight of beans to the amount of coffee they produce, then a little simple math... Also, maybe hit the streets and talk with some other vendors in the same biz.. They may offer you some valuable insight also.. Dont forget to take note of what they're charging so you can determine the aprox. profit margin they're striving for..
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Espresso Truck -- Expenses & Revenue Info 2005/12/17 09:09:41 (permalink)
    Where are you located? A coffee or expresso truck in Charlotte would have me walking around it to size it up for a different use when you go broke.
    JMac300
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Espresso Truck -- Expenses & Revenue Info 2005/12/18 04:32:18 (permalink)
    I live in CA -- LOTS of people drinking coffee here.
    Are you in the biz?
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Espresso Truck -- Expenses & Revenue Info 2005/12/18 11:39:59 (permalink)
    Used to have a brick and mortar place...sold fifteen years ago plus.

Done catering...fairs w/ a cart, then a trailer. Now all is sold but we still cater to old customers. No new customers accepted. A few health problems prevent any future expansions. Might change but who knows.

Yes, I'm in the biz but only ankle deep right now. Here on the right coast (location not correctness) an expresso truck would do less than twenty dollars a day. I wouldn't even have a clue where to park it.
    Truckin
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Espresso Truck -- Expenses & Revenue Info 2005/12/20 21:28:51 (permalink)
    I guess this is a little redundant to my reply on the other thread, but on those coffee forums there search "cogs" - cost of goods, and you will get a lot of info on grams per shot, cost of cups, mocha powder comparisons, etc.

Most trucks are indeed on the west coast, some do very well, some not, that comes down to the operator. The ones scrounging are driving up to car dealers and small offices and selling 4-5 drinks and moving on.

Special events and crowded auctions, farm markets, festivals, etc are better venues. Universities are a good bet. I'm on the east coast and coffee is really taking off - depending on where you are of course. I can't imagine trying this in the more rural counties where frugality is a necessary aspect of life and drip is 80 cents a cup. Ya gotta stalk the disposable income on this one.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Espresso Truck -- Expenses & Revenue Info 2005/12/21 00:34:42 (permalink)
    I can see V960's point of view.. Though on the outskirts of town here (Northland Drive, N. of Plainfield, S. of West River) we've had a lady selling coffee - etc out of a small trailer for over 5 years now.. Does all that fancy stuff... Never thought she'd make it, but she's still there with a line around her trailer everytime I drive by... Nothing that you would perceive as a decent location, but she must have done her homework.. Makes me smile seeing her success!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1