Hot!Ethiopian Restaurants

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
speechpeach
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/02/20 09:31:11 (permalink)
I ate at an Ethiopian restaurant in Atlanta years ago.  I enjoyed the wine, found some of the food so hot that I could not eat it, remember something about a yellow egg (tumeric?), and the bread.  Not one near me now, so I have not had the opportunity to dine at one recently.
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 650
Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/03/29 21:13:13 (permalink)
There are a couple of good Ethiopian restaurants in Milwaukee--Ethiopian Cottage (1824 N. Farwell Ave.) and Alem (307 E. Wisconsin Ave.). They both opened within the last couple of years or so, and I have a feeling one will eventually fall by the wayside.

I've been to some good ones in Chicago, including the Red Sea (used to be on Broadway, but seems to have moved) and Demera (on Broadway, near Lawrence).

The first place I ever had Ethiopian food was at the Blue Nile in Berkeley. According to Google, there still seems to be a Blue Nile there, but it's at a different address from what I remember.

I've enjoyed Ethiopian food in many other cities, but a meal at the Queen of Sheeba in Toronto was particularly memorable. Partner and I were the only customers that night, and the owner/chef kept bringing out samples of things for us to try. In addition to our regular order (Doro Wat, Alicha, Beef Tibs, and a couple of other things) we must have tried ten more items as samples. It was pretty spectacular.
mitch4jazz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/03/29 22:48:56 (permalink)
Blue Nile in Columbus is a must-taste for any adventurous foodie.  Traditional seating goes well
with good friends or a date for communal eating.  Don't miss the eggplant dish debinja which not
all Ethiopian restaurants offer.  The sweet honey wine is a fitting complement to the berbere spicing.

Owners Mequanent and Maaza have earned a place in my heart since bringing this favorite eatery
to town in the 90's.  And their food has earned more than its fair space in my stomach since then.
My friends and I go every chance we get.  Can't wait to try Emanu in Cincy to see how it stacks up.

Another mention goes to Abyssinia in the Carriage Place shopping center on East Broad.  It's twin
sister servers are friendly and serve up tasty and spicy tibs along with their self-proclaimed 'best
kitfo in town'.  I ordered the kitfo more raw than rare and was pleasantly surprised at the unique
texture and powerful chili flavor.  Sunday afternoons are worth stopping in so that while waiting for
your meal you can watch the men in the back room playing an Addis game that uses a western pool
table, board game pieces, and involves throwing British billiard balls with spin at the proper angles!

Just two of the great unsung ethnic restaurants Columbus has to offer.  Where is the thread for
Somali, Senegalese, South Indian, Thai, Indonesian, Ghanaian, Korean, Persian, and Turkish places?
re
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/03/30 01:50:50 (permalink)
No silverware right?
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/03/30 05:43:13 (permalink)
Baah Ben

No silverware right?

Be adventurous, Baah Ben.  Sit on the floor, eat with your hands, and look, you don't need teeth!

Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/03/30 09:44:01 (permalink)
MD - Do you know if the redish "entree" made with eggplant?

Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/03/31 13:57:45 (permalink)
We have eaten in most of the Eithiopian places in Atlanta at one time or another and generally enjoyed the experience.  Best examples of Ethiopian food I've had though were when I was working with an Ethiopian man whose wife was a very good cook and baker.  He would often bring a fresh loaf of home made bread with a subtle cumin flavor and also home made hot sauce.  Some one else would bring cream cheese and that was an office snack that put the best bagels to shame!  And at the office parties where we all brought food, well, I never expected to have home made doro wat and so on. 

One thing I wonder, and this is a toss up question, how many of you are eating at places where the injera is made from teff rather than a more readily available substitute?

quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 650
Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/03/31 19:36:47 (permalink)

Sounds like delicious bread.

I'm pretty sure teff has been used in the injera around here in Milwaukee, and in other places I've been to. There's a domestic teff industry based in Idaho, and from what I understand that's what North American Ethiopian restaurants generally use. What I don't know, though, is how domestic teff may differ from imported teff, and which injera I've had might have been made from the imported kind (maybe in NYC?). The domestic stuff is available here in Milwaukee at the Outpost, a natural foods store, and I've thought of trying to make my own injera some day. (Seems like a daunting task, though.) 
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/04/01 15:10:10 (permalink)
The MikadoI can say I enjoyed my experiences in Nashville, which for years was a bleak desert as far as a wide range of ethnic choices. One WAS called the Abyssinian, I think. That may be the one called Addis Ababa. They move and change names, and it throws us off! But, hey, it's all about the injera! (BTW, Horn of Africa is getting some buzz in the Music City. Again, I can't remember which is which?!)

Gojo is the Ethiopian restaurant in the old Addis Ababa location.  They have an excellent lunch buffet which I highly recommend!

arianej
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/04/02 15:38:38 (permalink)
pogophiles

Gojo is the Ethiopian restaurant in the old Addis Ababa location.  They have an excellent lunch buffet which I highly recommend!

A couple years back or more, I went looking for Gojo while I was in Nashville on a short stay, but couldn't find it, unfortunately.   Maybe my address info was wrong.

We went to Horn of Africa instead, which was excellent both times I've been there.
BeccaLynnLaw
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/07/03 01:53:03 (permalink)
We recently got an Ethiopian Restaurant in the Oklahoma City Area.  Queen of Sheba (2308 N Macarthur Blvd, Oklahoma City, OK 73127-2208, (405) 606-8616).  I hadn't previously had Ethiopian food, but what we had was delicious.  I also appreciated that they had a pretty wide array of vegetarian options (there was a small group of us, and one of them is very picky on this point).  The Tej (honey wine) was terrific and the service was excellent.
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 600
RE: Ethiopian Restaurants 2013/06/28 07:05:07 (permalink)
I've eaten at a number of Ethiopian restaurants from Kansas City to Nashville to Washington DC.  It's one of my favorite foods.  But, one of the best ethiopian restaurants you'll ever find is in Knoxville TN.  The name is Gosh.  Coincidentally it sits next to The Holy Land a wonderful middle eastern deli and restaurant.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
RE: Ethiopian Restaurants 2013/06/29 15:43:38 (permalink)
Earl of Sandwich

I've eaten at a number of Ethiopian restaurants from Kansas City to Nashville to Washington DC.  It's one of my favorite foods.  But, one of the best ethiopian restaurants you'll ever find is in Knoxville TN.  The name is Gosh.  Coincidentally it sits next to The Holy Land a wonderful middle eastern deli and restaurant.

I have some friends who have dined there and they said the same thing.  Now I gotta go.  It is only about five miles from my residence.  Thanks for the tip.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 

josefinajoisey
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: Ethiopian Restaurants 2013/07/14 21:02:59 (permalink)
My co-worker told me to eat at the local Ethiopian restaurant (Mesob) in Montclair, NJ, but I stonewalled him for almost 2 years.  Last week I ate there and was pleasantly surprised.  I still like the strong flavors of Indian food, but everything was very tasty, and I  like eating with my hands!!!
http://www.mesobrestaurant.com/
bartl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1350
RE: Ethiopian Restaurants 2013/07/16 14:42:25 (permalink)
josefinajoisey My co-worker told me to eat at the local Ethiopian restaurant (Mesob) in Montclair, NJ, but I stonewalled him for almost 2 years.  Last week I ate there and was pleasantly surprised.  I still like the strong flavors of Indian food, but everything was very tasty, and I  like eating with my hands!!!
http://www.mesobrestaurant.com/

Thanks; Montclair isn't far from me, and I haven't had decent Ethiopian food since I moved away from Manhattan (I used to go to the places in the west 90's and 100's). I'm making a note.

Bart
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2013/07/27 20:59:13 (permalink)
The best part of genuine Ethiopian restaurants is the dancing and music later in the evening. In towns with a large Ethiopian diaspora, locals will have traditional iskista dancing among themselves, sometimes with live music. 

If you have never seen Ethiopian dance, you will never forget it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esTodlmd6HY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU9nyUUiZfU

(yes they will do it without costumes, sort of like a disco). I've seen it in Washington DC, NJ and NYC Ethio restaurants.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4323
Re:My suggestion for Madison, WI 2013/07/28 07:58:42 (permalink)
californyguy

was at a conference once in DC with folks i did not know.Everyone went to dinner and someone suggested Ethopian- they said there was a great place where you sat on the floor and passed food around with no silverware used- I passed

I once found myself in a similar situation in DC in the early '80's.  I went and sincerely wished I had not. 

As I recall, the place was called "The Red Sea" and in those days it was "really trendy".  After several polite bites of absolutely unidentifiable lukewarm drek that had a metallic taste and vile odor I became "indisposed" - a situation that was exascerbated by the fact that another individual had beaten me to the restroom and had "used the sink".  After throwing down a $20 (a lot back then) I "excused myself" from the party.  Leaving that place I gulped in the "fresh air" of DC with a new appreciation. 

Even though I love most cuisines of Western Europe, Central & South America, East Asia and the sub-continent, for some reason I cannot abide Middle Eastern (to include Greek) and East African.

For those of you who like this cuisine, God Bless America and the Free Market!  None for me means more for you - and, at a lesser price.

Chacun a son gout!
Turtle66
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 139
Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2014/02/16 14:15:24 (permalink)
Abyssinia Has very tasty food indeed, I have only been to one other Ethiopian restaurant in the recent past which is no longer open, if i had to compare the two i preferred  Abyssinia which is thankfully still open.                                                                                         {code}http://www.abyssiniaethio...staurantsacramento.com{/code} 
post edited by Turtle66 - 2014/04/26 00:11:12
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1