Hot!Ethiopian Restaurants

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
tigerborn
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
2006/07/14 21:18:38 (permalink)

Ethiopian Restaurants

What's your favorite Ethiopian restuarant? Mine is Zed's Ethiopian Restaurant in Georgetown. Love their kitfo!

47 Replies Related Threads

Milt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: Ethiopian Restaurants 2006/08/06 20:39:58 (permalink)
    My favorite Ethiopian restaurant is in Atlanta - Queen of Sheba Ethiopian Restaurant. We will be eating there on my birthday next month.
    The Mikado
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: Ethiopian Restaurants 2007/06/12 14:31:22 (permalink)
    I have very little experience with Ethiopian, so I can't compare and contrast.

BUT I can say I enjoyed my experiences in Nashville, which for years was a bleak desert as far as a wide range of ethnic choices. One WAS called the Abyssinian, I think. That may be the one called Addis Ababa. They move and change names, and it throws us off! But, hey, it's all about the injera! (BTW, Horn of Africa is getting some buzz in the Music City. Again, I can't remember which is which?!)
    NealP
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/01/30 20:11:54 (permalink)
    My new favorite Ethiopian restaurant in Indianapolis is "Major Restaurant"
    1150 S. Mickley Ave.
    Indianapolis, IN 46241
    317-240-2700.

(I don't know if this forum software will hot-link to that image url, or copy it over. So the remote loading may not work very long.)

It's literally a stone's throw from the I-465 (the loop around Indianapolis) at West Washington Street Exit. (West side of Indy).  But it's on a dead end, and sort of hidden, so you can't see it until you're on top of it.
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/01/31 11:17:57 (permalink)
    Fasika, at on Snelling just off University, in St. Paul, MN. I never had Ethiopian food as wonderful. The service was great, too.
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/01/31 14:58:46 (permalink)
    i went to the  blue nile in columbus.  it just opened and only had about 6 tables.  the place was full of cab drivers, so i had to carry out.  i asked for utensilles and they didnt even have any silverware for the dining room.
    i got lamb riblets and veg.  it came on flat bread that looked like the stomach lining of a goat.
    it was gamey and greasey.  all in all, it was one of the worst meals i ever had.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3151
    Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/01/31 15:26:03 (permalink)
    brittneal

i went to the  blue nile in columbus.  it just opened and only had about 6 tables.  the place was full of cab drivers, so i had to carry out.  i asked for utensilles and they didnt even have any silverware for the dining room.
    i got lamb riblets and veg.  it came on flat bread that looked like the stomach lining of a goat.
    it was gamey and greasey.  all in all, it was one of the worst meals i ever had.

What are your favorite foods?

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/01/31 15:41:17 (permalink)
    Britt, "gamey and greasy"... mmmm. And "stomach lining of a goat" makes me hungry for Menudo and Cabrito . But that's Mexican food.:~)

I'm with NYP... whats good at an Ethiopian place???
    Joe
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/01/31 15:41:58 (permalink)
    My favorite in Cinci area is:

http://www.buycincy.com/flavor/2008/07/emanu-the-best-new-restaurant.html

Emanu: The best new restaurant in Cincinnati 20 Jul 2008

I take photos of food the way some people take photos of their kids. Every new dish I make or eat is recorded for future blogging purposes, and my boyfriend is now trained to pause before digging in when we sit down to dinner or are served at a restaurant.
    Sometimes, however, food is so good that I simply forget to bring out the camera. Friday night was one of those cases.
    Emanu, the much-anticipated East African/Ethiopian restaurant, in Pleasant Ridge has opened. Get there soon--because as soon as the word gets out, this place is going to be packed!

What is it?
    Emanu opened some time last week, and you can tell they hoped to have a slow first couple of weeks. Some of the tables, while set with white linen, were still covered in plastic. A few decorative branches lingered in a corner, with the Ikea tags still attached. And with no liquor license yet, the bar served as a storage space.
    Tough luck for the owners: The place is already a hit. The two servers were completely overwhelmed on Friday night, and a couple of diners walked out because they waited 10 minutes to get menus. Their loss--the food was amazing, and the service was great (although slow).
    When I arrived at 6 p.m., I was one of three diners. By the time my friends arrived 30 minutes later, three more tables of two had arrived. An hour and a half later, when we were finishing up our meal, both sides of the dining room were packed with a diverse crowd. A Bible study group of 20 took up most of the back dining room, and couples of all ages were in the front room.
    According to a friend of mine who lives in Pleasant Ridge, Emanu's owners formerly ran a restaurant down the street, so their former customer base had been waiting impatiently for the (re)opening. I can see why. Emanu is family owned and operated, and the food is amazing. During my half-hour wait for my friends (I mixed up our reservation time), I had time to linger over the menu and an Ethiopian coffee (at $1.50, it's thick and rich, served like Turkish coffee but tasting as fine as an Italian espresso.). Co-owner Sam Yhdego chatted with me for awhile and seemed thoroughly shocked that they were so busy on Friday. The two-page menu thankfully came with translations and descriptions, because I've only eaten Ethopian once a long time ago when I still ate meat. The menu offers three vegetarian stews (wats) and two varieties of beef, lamb and chicken: a wat and a tibs (saute).
    We had one each of the vegetarian dishes: collard greens, lentils and cabbage each sauteed with spices and served on injara (the sour crepelike bread that's ubiquitous in Ethiopian and Eritrean cuisine). Served family style on a large platters and extra injara, the dishes were spicy but not hot -- and affordable. For three of us, with appetizers, entrees and dessert, our bill was less than $50! Our other two friends shared two meat dishes and spent about the same per person. The food was amazing, and I was so distracted that I forgot to take a photo!
    We planned ahead and brought our own wine--three bottles of it. Few other diners were in the know and looked longingly at our wine. Another word of warning: Emanu's credit card system hadn't been set up last weekend. It's cash-only--but there's an ATM across the street if you forget.  
    Who's it for?
    Anyone who, like me, is tired of the same ethnic food options in Cincinnati. Take a group of friends and make a night of it. Eat Ethiopian style, with your right hand, using bits of injara to scoop up the tasty stews.
    How much?
    Appetizers: all are $3
    Try the sambussas, fried meat or veggie filled dumplings that reminded us of samosas. The vegetable soup was hearty, dotted with pasta and rich in cumin. Get it! 
    Entrees: $9-$11
    Get a couple and share.
    Desserts: Baklava and cheesecake, each $3. They don't seem to be homemade, but the vanilla bean cheesecake was tasty (the baklava was good but not outstanding). And for $3, the price can't be beat!
    Finish the meal with Ethiopian coffee: $1.50.   
    Where is it?
    6063 Montgomery Road, Pleasant Ridge.
    513 351 7686

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

one thing I have learned about going to real ethnic restaurants is to keep an open mind and ask a lot of questions - even so I was somewhat surprised the way the food was presented but I really enjoyed it

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

if you are not familiar with this type food I would read up about it - before going to such a restaurant - this wiki writeup is very informative and helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ethiopian_cuisine&printable=yes

Ethiopian cuisine characteristically consists of spicy vegetable and meat dishes, usually in the form of wot (With a hard 't' noise), a thick stew, served atop injera, a large sourdough flatbread, which is about 50 centimeters (20 inches) in diameter and made out of fermented teff flour. Ethiopians eat with their right hands, using pieces of injera to pick up bites of entrées and side dishes. No utensils are used.
    Traditional Ethiopian cuisine employs no pork of any kind, as most Ethiopians are either Ethiopian Orthodox Christians, Muslims or Jews, and are thus prohibited from eating pork. Furthermore, the Ethiopian Orthodox Church prescribes a number of fasting (tsom Ge'ez: ጾም tṣōm) periods, including Wednesdays, Fridays, and the entire Lenten season, so Ethiopian cuisine contains many vegetarian (Amharic: ye-tsom የጾም ye-ṣōm, Tigrinya: nay-tsom ናይጾም nāy-ṣōm) dishes. This has also led Ethiopian cooks to develop a rich array of cooking oil sources: besides sesame and safflower, Ethiopian cuisine also uses nug (also spelled noog, known also as niger seed).[1] Ethiopian restaurants are a popular choice for vegetarians living in Western countries.

Contents

[hide]

[edit] Types of Ethiopian Cuisine

Raw ingredients in Harar

Berbere, a combination of powdered chile pepper and other spices (somewhat analogous to Southwestern American chili powder), is an important ingredient used in many dishes. Also essential is niter kibbeh, a clarified butter infused with ginger, garlic, and several spices.

[edit] Wat

This meal, consisting of injera and several kinds of wat (stew), is typical of Ethiopian and Eritrean cuisine.

Wat stews all begin with a large amount of chopped red onions, which the cook simmers or sautees in a pot. Once the onions have softened, the cook adds niter kebbeh (or, in the case of vegan dishes, vegetable oil). Following this, the cook adds berbere to make a spicy keiy (Amharic: ቀይ ḳey, Tigrinya, Ge'ez: ቀይሕ ḳeyyiḥ; "red") wat, or may omit the berbere for a milder alicha wat or alecha wat (Amharic: አሊጫ ālič̣ā). In the event that the berbere is particularly spicy, the cook may elect to add it before the kibbeh or oil so the berbere will cook longer and become milder. Finally, the cook adds meat such as beef (siga, Ge'ez: ሥጋ śigā), chicken (Amharic: ዶሮ dōrō, Tigrinya: ደርሆ derhō), fish (Amharic: asa), goat or lamb (Amharic: beg, Tigrinya በግዕ beggiʕ); legumes such as split peas (Amharic: ክክ kik, Tigrinya: ክኪ kikkī) or lentils (Amharic: ምስር misir, Tigrinya: ብርስን birsin); or vegetables such as potatoes (dinich, Amharic: ድንች dinič, Tigrinya ድንሽ diniš), carrots and chard (Tigrinya: costa).

[edit] Tibs

Alternatively, rather than being prepared as a stew, meat or vegetables may be sautéed to make tibs (also tebs, t'ibs, tibbs, etc., Ge'ez ጥብስ ṭibs). Tibs is served normal or special, "special tibs" is served on a hot dish with vegetables (salad) mixed in. The mid-18th century European visitor to Ethiopia, Remedius Prutky, describes tibs as a portion of grilled meat served "to pay a particular compliment or show especial respect to someone."[2]

[edit] Kitfo

Another distinctive Ethiopian dish is kitfo (frequently listed as ketfo), which consists of raw (or rare) ground beef marinated in mitmita (Ge'ez: ሚጥሚጣ mīṭmīṭā, a very spicy chili powder) and niter kibbeh. Gored gored is very similar to kitfo, but uses cubed, rather than ground, beef.

[edit] Breakfast

Firfir or fitfit, (Ge'ez: ፍርፍር firfir; ፍትፍት fitfit) made from shredded injera with spices, is a typical breakfast dish. Another popular breakfast food is dulet (Ge'ez: ዱለት dūlet), a spicy mixture of tripe, liver, beef, and peppers with injera. Fatira consists of a large fried pancake made with flour, often with a layer of egg, eaten with honey. Chechebsa (or kita firfir) resembles a pancake covered with berbere and kibbeh, or spices, and may be eaten with a spoon.

[edit] Beverages

Coffee ceremony in Harar

Tej is a honey wine, similar to mead, that is frequently drunk in bars (in particular, in a tej bet; Ge'ez ጠጅ ቤት ṭej bēt, "tej house"). katikal and araki are inexpensive local spirits that are very strong.
    Coffee (buna) originates from Ethiopia, and is a central part of Ethiopian beverages. Equally important is the ceremony which accompanies the serving of the coffee, which is sometimes served from a jebena (ጀበና), a clay coffee pot in which the coffee is boiled. In most homes a dedicated coffee area is surrounded by fresh grass, with special furniture for the coffee maker. A complete ceremony has three rounds of coffee and is accompanied by the burning of frankincense.

[edit] Serving style

A mesob (Ge'ez: መሶብ mesōb) is a tabletop on which food is traditionally served. The mesob is usually woven from straw. It has a lid that is kept on it til time to eat. Just before the food is ready, a basin of water and soap is brought out for washing one's hands. When the food is ready, the top is taken off the mesob and the food is placed in the mesob. When the meal is finished, the basin of water and soap is brought back out for the hands to be washed again.

[edit] Gurage dishes

Gurage cuisine additionally makes use of the false banana plant (enset, Ge'ez: እንሰት inset), a type of ensete. The plant is pulverized and fermented to make a bread-like food called qocho or kocho (Ge'ez: ቆጮ ḳōč̣ō), which is eaten with kitfo.[3] The root of this plant may be powderized and prepared as a hot drink called bulla (Ge'ez: ቡላ būlā), which is often given to those who are tired or ill. Another typical Gurage preparation is coffee with butter (kebbeh).
    The most popular Gurage main dish is kitfo. Gomen kitfo is another dish prepared in the occasion of Meskel, a very popular holiday marking the discovery of the True Cross. Collard greens (ጎመን gōmen) are boiled, dried and then finely chopped and served with butter, chili and spices.

[edit] References

^ Paul B. Henze, Layers of Time: A history of Ethiopia (New York: Palgrove, 2000), p. 12 and note ^ J.H. Arrowsmith-Brown (trans.), Prutky's Travels in Ethiopia and other Countries with notes by Richard Pankhurst (London: Hakluyt Society, 1991), p. 286 ^ "Uses of Enset" (HTML). The 'Tree Against Hunger': Enset-Based Agricultural Systems in Ethiopia. American Association for the Advancement of Science (1997). Retrieved on 2007-08-13.

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/01/31 16:15:29 (permalink)
    Wow NYP! Now we know... thanks!

That Kitfo sounds great to me, as do the stews.
    Joe
    Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/02/02 19:18:37 (permalink)
    Haven't been to one in about, oh, 19 years now. It was in D.C., but I can't find a listing for it now. I believe it was the Red Sea, but I might be wrong. There are 21 listed here.

I remember the food as very good. I went with my Anthropology class back in college. Each large injera had three schlops of food on it. Red, green, and yellow. Red was beef, green was lamb, and yellow was chicken. They gave us one spicy and two mild, and each table got to pick which one was the spicy one. We picked the lamb. It was my favorite. We also had a honey wine with the meal, which was quite good.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1106
    Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/02/03 15:20:01 (permalink)
    brittneal

I hadn't been for years but I just went again on a Friday in the middle of January for my sister's birthday.  I thought it was great.  We had big platters of food that had chicken and beef and lamb and different kinds of lentils and eggplant and greens.  It is true that they do not give you utensils, you use the bread (injara to scoop it).  However, several people asked for utensils and they were happy to provide.  The food was spciy and I thought a great value for all that we got.  There are onyl 6 tables in the front room but the room to the side was quite big and has several traditional setups in addition to a lot of regular tables.  I will definitely be going again.
    Run2Eat
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 91
    Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/02/03 15:34:33 (permalink)
    Queen of Sheba's on Inwood in Addison !!!! Used to be on Lemmon Ave in Dallas back in the day when they had all booths surrounded by beads and strung with Christmas lights... It's white table cloth now but the food is awesome as always !!!
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/02/03 16:05:30 (permalink)
    hatteras04

brittneal

I hadn't been for years but I just went again on a Friday in the middle of January for my sister's birthday.  I thought it was great.  We had big platters of food that had chicken and beef and lamb and different kinds of lentils and eggplant and greens.  It is true that they do not give you utensils, you use the bread (injara to scoop it).  However, several people asked for utensils and they were happy to provide.  The food was spciy and I thought a great value for all that we got.  There are onyl 6 tables in the front room but the room to the side was quite big and has several traditional setups in addition to a lot of regular tables.  I will definitely be going again.

Man you are giving me a craving for this food again!!!!!
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/02/03 16:21:45 (permalink)
    hatteras04,
    i ws there when it first opened in the erly 90's.  it was in an old clark station that had been empty for years  that was on main st in whithall.  i read a review and think they moved.
    it was just not to my taste.  but the ethnic cabbies loved it.
    i worked for  moroccan in denver many yers ago.  that was ok.  i just dont have the taste for ethiopian or indian foods.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/02/03 16:27:43 (permalink)
    Man now I am craving Indian food too!!!!!!!!

NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/02/04 08:09:35 (permalink)
     To me, the best part on an Ethiopian restaurant is not the food, it is the people (I find Ethiopians quite gracious) and best of all, the music, and DANCING!! 
    If the restaurant is in an immigrant community, I have found around midnight, many people come in, the music breaks out, and "iskista" starts off. If you have never seen it, the dance is like no other:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yweLM80QiQw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l83--yUHQXo&feature=related

Food_Fan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 139
    Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/02/04 13:28:36 (permalink)
    In New Brunswick, NJ there is Makedas.

I ate here a few times before and after seeing a show at the theaters that are around the corner. Its good for a change off from the usual restaurant fare.

Food was pretty good although it was kind of odd sitting on little short stools and  eating off of a drum as pictured across from the bar.

http://www.makedas.com/
    Run2Eat
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 91
    Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/02/04 17:13:39 (permalink)
    I went to Sheba’s for lunch today, just couldn’t shake the craving !!! I had Doro Wott, Missir Wott, Shiro and Gomen…. Heaven I tell you, heaven…

mjsneddon
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 230
    My suggestion for Madison, WI 2009/02/11 21:21:20 (permalink)
    The place is called Baraka.  It is located below the street level right in the middle of campustown.  I recommend a dish called Minchet Abish (minced beef, onions, tomatoes and lentils in a rich blend of spices and cooked in a spicy berbere spiked brown sauce.  However, if spicy food is not your thing, you should probably order something else.
    californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    Re:My suggestion for Madison, WI 2009/02/11 21:24:47 (permalink)
    was at a conference once in DC with folks i did not know.Everyone went to dinner and someone suggested Ethopian- they said there was a great place where you sat on the floor and passed food around with no silverware used- I passed
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:My suggestion for Madison, WI 2009/02/11 23:19:43 (permalink)
    californyguy

was at a conference once in DC with folks i did not know.Everyone went to dinner and someone suggested Ethopian- they said there was a great place where you sat on the floor and passed food around with no silverware used- I passed

I guess not all Californians have that spirit of adventure to try new things.

The Ethiopian restaurants I know of provide tables and chairs.  The food is served family style and utensils are available if requested but the food can be eaten easily without them as explained in this thread.

arianej
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    Re:My suggestion for Madison, WI 2009/02/13 01:13:42 (permalink)
    That just means more for you and I, NYPizzaGuy!

I love Ethiopian food.  Every Ethiopian restaurant I've ever been to has tables and chairs a well as silverware for the more fastidious diners.  I'm happy eating it the way it's meant to be eaten-- tearing off pieces of injera and using it as a sort of scoop.

The previously mentioned Blue Nile in Columbus, OH has been a family favorite for years-- I'm just sorry I don't get up there more often.  I want to try Emanu in Cincy, too.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:My suggestion for Madison, WI 2009/02/13 15:49:02 (permalink)
    arianej

That just means more for you and I, NYPizzaGuy!

I love Ethiopian food.  Every Ethiopian restaurant I've ever been to has tables and chairs a well as silverware for the more fastidious diners.  I'm happy eating it the way it's meant to be eaten-- tearing off pieces of injera and using it as a sort of scoop.

The previously mentioned Blue Nile in Columbus, OH has been a family favorite for years-- I'm just sorry I don't get up there more often.  I want to try Emanu in Cincy, too.
    ...you betcha..and I think you will simply love Emanu...

NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:My suggestion for Madison, WI 2009/02/13 15:50:27 (permalink)
    BTW I was at Pasha's Turkish Restaurant in Beavercreek yesterday with my lunchbunch - it was fantastic - have you been there yet?
    arianej
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    Re:My suggestion for Madison, WI 2009/02/15 02:59:16 (permalink)
    NYPIzzaNut

BTW I was at Pasha's Turkish Restaurant in Beavercreek yesterday with my lunchbunch - it was fantastic - have you been there yet?

This place?

http://www.pashagrill.com/home.html

Nope, but it looks delicious.  :)
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:My suggestion for Madison, WI 2009/02/15 10:17:29 (permalink)
    That is the place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    senor boogie woogie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re:My suggestion for Madison, WI 2009/02/19 08:43:51 (permalink)

The fastest land animal on Earth is the Eithiopian chicken.

Is it OK for white people to go there, or is it like a soul food place?
    AaronM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/02/20 09:02:44 (permalink)
    NealP

My new favorite Ethiopian restaurant in Indianapolis is "Major Restaurant"
    1150 S. Mickley Ave.
    Indianapolis, IN 46241
    317-240-2700.

(I don't know if this forum software will hot-link to that image url, or copy it over. So the remote loading may not work very long.)

It's literally a stone's throw from the I-465 (the loop around Indianapolis) at West Washington Street Exit. (West side of Indy).  But it's on a dead end, and sort of hidden, so you can't see it until you're on top of it.

I'll have to check it out. I've never heard of it, but the only time I'm on the west side is when I'm going to the airport or Eagle Creek.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/major-restaurant-east-african-authentic-food-indianapolis

AaronM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    Re:Ethiopian Restaurants 2009/02/20 09:14:51 (permalink)
    Oh, and Neil, great Yelp review. Makes me want to head over there right now. 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1