Ethiopian restaurants..

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2005/07/24 21:29:23 (permalink)

Ethiopian restaurants..

I've been thinking of unusual places and my experiences with Ethiopian restaurants come to mind, for at least 3 reasons:

1. the ambiance: usually seated at low tables, wicker type decor and - no eating utensils! All the food is eaten with "injera" type of bread, a sort of large, soft, airy tortilla, almost a napkin, which is used to pick up the food at it eat. It is said that if you like your companion, you use the injera to feed them!

2.The food (of course). Ethiopian food is pretty interesting, sort of stews in spicy sauces, eaten with the bread. Also, the special "coffee ceremony". I believe coffee originated in Ethiopia.

3. (My favorite!): the "entertainment". At Ethiopian restaurants I've been to, IN NYC and Washinton, DC, about 11 or 12 pm, a regular local Ethiopian crowd comes in for music and dancing. There are very few Americans at this time. They usually have a musician with a keyboard, maybe a singer.

Now, Ethiopian music and dance is VERY unusual. The music is sort of like and African/North Africa combo of Jazz and (US) Country music. The dance is AMAZING!!! Called iskista it is done only with the top of the body, shoulders and breasts moving to odd rhythmns, very very sexy.

So a (late) night out, dinner, music, dancing (or watching) is so worth it!!! I wonder if there are these similar places in other cities.

4 Replies Related Threads

NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Ethiopian restaurants.. 2005/07/24 21:43:44 (permalink)
    Excuse me, I see there is already a thread on Ethiopian food a few pages back....
    but I'd also like to read more comments re: music/dance at these restaurants (or maybe in any ethnic restaurants - I don't mean shows for "tourists", I mean real music/dance where "ethnic-natives" enjoy themselves (not just Irish pubs!)
    Tiramisu
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Ethiopian restaurants.. 2005/09/06 12:43:16 (permalink)
    I love Injera bread, and if I ever get back to Maryland, I will go to the restaurant. Perhaps Vegas has an Ethiopian place ? I wish. Injera bread can be ordered online, and I am tempted..and I would love to hear the music, and feed my companion ! Sounds like fun.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Ethiopian restaurants.. 2005/09/06 22:55:34 (permalink)
    I have been noticing that when I travel, many Ethiopian immigrants work at airports in fast food places, newstands, etc. Also in hotels and parking garages. I have seen this in Washington, Seattle, Dallas, Denver, Minneapolis, Houston. I wonder if you go out to the airport in Vegas, if you can find someone who can clue you in to a local Ethiopian restaurant that may even have afterhours live music.....
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Ethiopian restaurants.. 2005/09/08 00:33:35 (permalink)
    There are a number of Ethiop[ian places in Portland. Jarra"s has been around for 20 years. There are others which appeal more to a younger more musical crowd than me.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1