The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Ethnic Contributions to American Cuisine

CNW

• Total Posts: 182
Ethnic Contributions to American Cuisine Fri, 10/7/11 11:59 AM (permalink)
Several friends and I were discussing food a few days ago and we got on the subject of what foods have been adopted by Americans as a whole from the various ethnic groups that have immigrated here over the years. During our discussion we decided that in order to be considered the foods had to;
1. Be available in your average town of 25,000 in population.
2. Be available in all parts of the country.
and
3. Be popular outside the ethnic group that developed the dish.

Examples of dishes that we excluded
Matzo Ball Soup - Not Available in the average town
Crawfish - Not available in all parts of the country
Menudo - Not popular outside its ethnic group

What dishes would include or exclude?

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
    Re:Ethnic Contributions to American Cuisine Fri, 10/7/11 12:48 PM (permalink)
    That is quite an undertaking, as I dont know at all what is served in every corner of the United States.
    I would have to say that, in my opinion, the following are included:
    Sushi
    Sausage in various forms-there is a boom in that industry with alot of people going back to tried and true recipes from the old country.
    BBQ-while not neccessarily from immigrants, it has exploded in some sort or another across the country.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9565
      Re:Ethnic Contributions to American Cuisine Fri, 10/7/11 1:16 PM (permalink)
      Ann,
      I would disagree on Sushi. It's not readily available in many parts of the country in towns of 25,000 or more.
      Obviously, Italian food fits the criteria. Pizza restaurants are the #1 catagory of restaurants in the USA.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4076
        Re:Ethnic Contributions to American Cuisine Fri, 10/7/11 1:52 PM (permalink)
        I can't think of an "average" sized town I've been in that didn't have a Chinese restaurant (for better or worse).

As for Barbecue, while we may think of it as the quintessential American food, it is absolutely a product of immigrants.  The name itself comes from the "Barbacoa" style of cooking executed by the Arawak natives in the West Inides.  The method of attaching meat to a grid constructed out of green wood then placed over a low, open fire built in a pit was observed by Spanish explorers "discovering" the New World.

Over the years, virtually every immigrant group who settled in the U.S. brought their own form of smoking and/or grilling meats.  Europeans, Asians, and Africans all had preexisting methods of Barbecue which, once landed in the Melting Pot, were shared, adapted, and adopted.

In fact, IMHO, it is that very adaptation process that makes Barbecue the definitive American cuisine: It comes from all over the world to a land of opportunity and acceptance, and succeeds above and beyond what it ever achieved in the country of its origin.

Buddy

P.S. Apologies to CNW if this thread now turns into a discussion on the origins of Barbecue, the value and pitfalls of immigration, or any other divergent path my post may lead it down.

B.

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
          Re:Ethnic Contributions to American Cuisine Fri, 10/7/11 2:40 PM (permalink)
          Foodbme

Ann,
          I would disagree on Sushi. It's not readily available in many parts of the country in towns of 25,000 or more.
          Obviously, Italian food fits the criteria. Pizza restaurants are the #1 catagory of restaurants in the USA.

And I disagree with your disagreement. I live as country as you can get (Pop 973). It's about 40 miles west of Indianapolis. All the "big towns" north (pop 16,000), south (Pop 13,000) and west (Pop 5,500) all have at lest one place you can get sushi.

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
            Re:Ethnic Contributions to American Cuisine Fri, 10/7/11 2:49 PM (permalink)
            Are you including items found in the frozen food section of a grocery store or a fast food restaurant in your 25,000-people town?

If so, include:
            under Mexican would be tacos, tamales & burritos
            under the Italian category would be the submarine sandwich
            under German would be gingerbread
            under Swiss would be fondue

mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
              Re:Ethnic Contributions to American Cuisine Fri, 10/7/11 3:03 PM (permalink)
              Bagels?  With the invention of the Thompson bagel machine they are being produced in lots of areas. 

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                Re:Ethnic Contributions to American Cuisine Fri, 10/7/11 4:30 PM (permalink)
                so--do we count things like the potato--that spread from South America around the world--a while back only folks in the Andes ate them? how about soy sauce--its in all kinds of things now---or curry--salsa--and what about corn--once a native amrican food--n ow part of ALL of our diets. This is a HUGE area of study actually---called ethnobotanical studies--tracing the route of a food plant as it travels through the populations of the world.

<message edited by tiki on Fri, 10/7/11 4:35 PM>

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6097
                  Re:Ethnic Contributions to American Cuisine Fri, 10/7/11 5:24 PM (permalink)
                  Thank us Irish for Drunken Chicken!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com