Ethnic in Knoxville

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13524
RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2006/01/16 18:03:05 (permalink)
Technowwannabe: Thanks for the advice on the Japanese restaurant in Farragut.

Donna? Are you sure you want more info on fish testicles's

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2006/01/16 18:08:45 (permalink)
Technowannabe: Thanks for the advice on the Japanese restaurant in Farragut.

Donna? Are you sure you want more info on fish testicles's

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Donna Douglass
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 508
RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2006/01/16 18:13:53 (permalink)
I'm not certain I believe there are such things as were mentioned....just wanted confirmation that they do or do not exist....fish necks? fried fish frames? and everything else that sounded strange? I've heard of Cod cheeks, but that's about as far out as I've known about.

Guess I'm not very world-wise, culinarily speaking.

Donna
Pershing
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2006/01/24 11:48:14 (permalink)
I went to Wok Hay and did not like the food. It's a very bad version of P.F. Chang's in my opinion. The Kung Pao Chicken didn't have any flavor and had no pepper pods; instead, they encrusted the chicken in red hot pepper flakes. Unbelievably bad in my opinion.

Worst "Chinese" food I have ever had.

The restaurant is, however, quite beautiful. And the staff is helpful.
V960
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2006/01/24 13:09:05 (permalink)
I spent twelve years w/a Japanese company traveling the world. I ate fish testicles (boiled, fried and grilled, must be a popular item), swine anus, uni( sea urchin reproductive organs), and raw horse meat. Still can't eat fried chicken livers.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2006/01/24 15:23:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pershing

I went to Wok Hay and did not like the food. It's a very bad version of P.F. Chang's in my opinion. The Kung Pao Chicken didn't have any flavor and had no pepper pods; instead, they encrusted the chicken in red hot pepper flakes. Unbelievably bad in my opinion.

Worst "Chinese" food I have ever had.

The restaurant is, however, quite beautiful. And the staff is helpful.

I agree with you. I took my family there a few weeks ago. Mandarin House which is a buffet is much better. I like Mandarin House better than PF Changs.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
subrosa
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2006/05/19 08:52:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Carlton, I thought I wold mention lemon Grass on Lamar Alexander Parkway in Maryville. Great Thai and sushi. I have been there several times and it was always great.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Paul, how does Lemon Grass compare with the other Thai restaurants in the area? While I have not tried Lemon Grass, I have tried Little Bangkok (excellent), Taste of Thai (disappointing), and Stir Fry Cafe (good but used to be excellent) (original one, not new Turkey Creek location).

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2006/05/23 16:47:37 (permalink)
I cannot comment on other Thai places around Knoxville as I have never tried any of them but I will tell you that I have had Thai food in many cities. Lemon Grass is at least as good or not better than the other restaurants I have tried.

It is very clean, very pretty and as usual, some of their dishes tend to be hot. I generally request that they tone it down.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
V960
RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2006/05/26 15:38:50 (permalink)
Donna,
I reread my reply and should expand. Fried fish frames, fried shrimp heads and baked fish necks (or sometimes called collars) are VERY common in Japanese restaurants. The fish frames are crunchy as the devil and wonderful...reminds me of eating fried catfish tails when you order catfish whole.

The fried shrimp heads are stuffed w/ a bit of crab stuffing and deep fried. Great stuff.

Now the real off the wall Japanese stuff will never make it here. Whole sparrows (w/ their entrails still in them) are grilled and comsumed whole in yakatori bars. Raw horse meat, whale meat (no taste and the mouth feel of a super ball) and baby ells swimining in a glass of sake...not gonna happen.

I was simply looking for a good authentic Japanese restaurant that doesn't put cheese in the rolls, fry everything or make all the rolls w/ the rice on the outside. I also like practicing my Japanese which is fading fast due to the fact I don't use it anymore.

V960
RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2006/05/26 15:45:18 (permalink)
One other thing. The fish collars either come w/ a teriyaki sauce or very light salt coating. The usual one available is buri kama. Buri is the name for a particular age of a yellowtail tuna. Kama refers to it being the collar or neck. Don't even try to eat this w/ a fork...chopsticks are required.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2006/05/27 19:48:53 (permalink)
V960: You lost me. I do not think we got what you said in East Tennessee.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
V960
RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2006/05/29 14:35:03 (permalink)
Sorry...I drifted.
Gizmolito
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 312
RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2006/05/29 20:59:28 (permalink)
I'm glad you enjyed your dinners in Japan. It seems Tennessee cannot service your acquired taste- you knew that already though, didn't you?
Cast the net a lttle wider.
V960
RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2006/05/30 17:51:17 (permalink)
Greenville, SC, Charlotte, NYC and Atlanta all have wonderful Japanese restaurants. I was simply hoping to find one in east TN. One of the finest centers of Japanese culture was located in Greenville until the owner simply lost interest in life (his wife died and his textile business began to fail) and let the place go down the tubes.

The name of the place was Yagoto Japanese Cultural Center. The entire building and grounds were constructed by workers from the Kyoto area of Japan w/ Japanese materials. I attended two classes there...flower arrangement and the tea ceremony. Felt a bit silly in the flower thing but the tea ceremony was incrediable. The room for the tea ceremony has a very small and low door which requires everyone who enters to crawl. This is to humble you.

Greenville has a few more Japanese businesses than Knoxville but not that many more. See a Japanese business...ask about the local Japanese restaurants in the area. Knoxville has Panasonic on the east side, a huge electronic plant south on 75 and another electronic plant in the Alcoa area.

One can only eat at King Tut's and Ali Baba so many times. They are now my standard when in K'Town. Been eating lamb and hummas at Ali Baba's for twenty five years now. Actually closer to thirty years.

Someone on a different thread gave me a lead on a good Japanese place in K'Town. Next time over I'll report. Got it printed out but it's in the K'town file.
V960
RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2006/06/09 15:16:39 (permalink)
Nama on South Gay St. is the place reced on another site. Anyone has any experience w/ it?

Got to admit I'm a bit worried after looking at their menu. Cheviche? Kimchee? Hummus spelled as homous?

Another named Tomo out on Kingston Pike also got recommended...anyone want to comment on this place?
subrosa
Junior Burger
RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2006/06/12 11:36:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by V960

Nama on South Gay St. is the place reced on another site. Anyone has any experience w/ it?

Got to admit I'm a bit worried after looking at their menu. Cheviche? Kimchee? Hummus spelled as homous?

Another named Tomo out on Kingston Pike also got recommended...anyone want to comment on this place?

I ate at Nama's for the first time before a show at the Bijou last week and really enjoyed it. It was different (fusion sushi) and well worth the trip to downtown. Also, the Richard Thompson concert was excellent. The Bijou is a great place to see a concert; in many ways, better than The Tennessee.
subrosa
Junior Burger
RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2006/07/06 13:36:28 (permalink)
I had heard that the Hong Kong House on 8079 Kingston Pike (across from Downtown West) had authentic Chinese and Malaysian dishes. I understand it has had a change in ownership recently. So, in anticipation, I went with a group so we could try more than just a couple of dishes. Sure enough the menu does have many dishes that one would find at some of the more authentic Chinese restaurants in bigger cities. We skipped over the first part of the menu that had the standard middle-of-the-road dishes and went straight to the back of the menu where the dishes were in both English and Chinese. We started out with the Roti Canai (a Malaysian flat bread with curry chicken). We all enjoyed it very much.

Next up was Cantonese chow mein (pan fried noodles with seafood, pork, chicken and vegetables), beef tendon and tofu hot pot, salted fish fried rice, Chinese broccoli, and wa tan hall (Malaysian Hawker style noodles), and salt and pepper shrimp. Unfortunately, it all was disappointing. While the pan fried noodles and salt and pepper shrimp were okay, the rest was not to my taste.

If I go back I will order only the Malaysian dishes. They sound interesting and, if the Roti Canai is any indication, at least the curry-based dishes should be good.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1