Ethnic in Knoxville

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
2005/03/31 21:52:11 (permalink)

Ethnic in Knoxville

Thought I'd mention 2 good Thai places in town. One is A Taste of Thai, next to Dick's Sporting Goods off N Peters Rd. Excellent little downhome kind of place, inexpensive, and the food is really good.

Another little more upscale place is Soho, in Bearden, next to Green River Grille. Small, intimate romantic place. It's Thai but a little more upscale but really good as well. I'd recommend either place.

You can mention any ethnic type restaurant in the area. Anybody ever been to The Linderhoff?

46 Replies Related Threads

carlton pierre
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/08/20 23:07:19 (permalink)
    Well, I just looked on the brochure and see that the Greek festival ended today so there is no chance to go there tomorrow. I went there today and it was a wonderful experience. excellent Greek food including gyros, souvlaki, greek pizza, pastichio, saganaki, spanokapita, and lots of fine pastries, etc.
    In addition an excellent display of Greek dancing and music and a wonderful greek arts and crafts show.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/08/22 15:20:42 (permalink)
    Carlton, I thought I wold mention lemon Grass on Lamar Alexander Parkway in Maryville. Great Thai and sushi. I have been there several times and it was always great.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/08/24 09:04:19 (permalink)
    Middle Eastern-Ali Baba & King Tut Grill
    carlton pierre
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/08/24 22:16:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by V960

Middle Eastern-Ali Baba & King Tut Grill

Falafel Hut. Near the UT campus. Excellent place.
    There's also an Indian place, Kashmir, right near by and further out on Kingston Pike is The Sitar, which has an excellent, and inexpensive, lunch buffet.
    carlton pierre
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/09/07 17:46:14 (permalink)
    Anyone been to a fairly new Asian place in Bearden on Kingston Pike called Wok Hay? It's supposed to be the newest, trendiest place in Asian food (whatever that is) and the guy is already looking to open another place out west in Turkey Creek.
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/09/07 18:28:32 (permalink)
    Wok Hay refers to the flavor imparted by a well seasoned wok to the food cooking in it. I would like to eat at a restaurant called Wok Hay, just to see if they really have wok hay! I may be in the area later this fall, I'd love to hear how Wok Hay fairs.
    carlton pierre
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/09/08 07:34:59 (permalink)
    The local food reviewer for the Knoxville paper , www.knoxnews.com ,
    loved it and gave it an excellent review. However, 2 out of 3 reviews on chowhound said it was not that great.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/09/08 10:38:46 (permalink)
    I am taking Mamaw Smith to the Wok Hay in Bearden on Kingston Pike today for lunch. I have to get her out of the house a few times a week and this new place sounds like a tasty place to go.

It is located in a new strip mall that is very attractive.

I will report back our experience there.

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/dining/article/0,1406,KNS_309_3926459,00.html

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/09/08 10:41:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

Thought I'd mention 2 good Thai places in town. One is A Taste of Thai, next to Dick's Sporting Goods off N Peters Rd. Excellent little downhome kind of place, inexpensive, and the food is really good.

Another little more upscale place is Soho, in Bearden, next to Green River Grille. Small, intimate romantic place. It's Thai but a little more upscale but really good as well. I'd recommend either place.

You can mention any ethnic type restaurant in the area. Anybody ever been to The Linderhoff?

Carlton, I have not been there but I have had several friends that attended this fine German restaurant. They reported the food as being very good but be prepared a a dinner that last several hours as they only cook to order. My friend reported that their dinner was about a three hour ordeal that was enjoyable. They are dinner only.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/09/08 13:39:28 (permalink)
    My experience with Wok Hay in Knoxville. It is a Asian restaurant with a open ambience that is neat and clean.

The menu starts with either chicken, beef or shrimp. From there you add dishes. I got their version of General Tso's chicken and brown rice. The spice was much hotter than I had expected and the rice could have been a bit softer. I got their version of the lettuce wrap and it was very good. The wife got a hard fried candied shrimp with white rice. The main menu did not mention this being spicy but on the smaller menu, it was listed as spicy. I think it was a bit spicy for her. Mamaw Smith got a salad with chicken and ginger. It was quite tasty as I sampled it.

We arrived as they opened at 11:00AM and they got busy really quick and when we left at 11:45, there must have been 50 diners.

It appears to me that they have tried to do a quick version of P. F Changs as their food seems very similar. You order at the line and they bring what you ordered to you. It was hot and fresh. Tab was $35.61 for three including drinks. I am not sure if it is a chain but it seems much too organized to be a mom and pop. Signage was very good and service was very good.

Will I go back? Probably but not on a frequent basis but neither do I return to P. F. Changs very often even though I enjoy their food.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

zussers
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/09/08 19:24:40 (permalink)
    Give Teppan Yakki on Beardan Hill a try (formally China Inn). While they serve hibachi style food (not cooked in front of you) they will definately tell you the house specialty is food that you cook on a 700 + degree stone! You order chicken, shrimp, steak etc. and they bring it out to you on one of these stones brought in from Australia. The food is brought out uncooked and you cook it yourself on your own individual stone. My husband and I went not long after they opened and the pride of the manager/possible owner was very evident. He was excited to tell you all about the cooking technique and to answer any questions. It was a bit on the pricey side(around $17.95) but looked delicious! We just ordered the regular hibachi because we were in a hurry and wern't prepared to pay that much at that time. But I can tell you, I was very impressed with the service, the decor was the same as China Inn and the people around us eating from the "stone" were commenting on how great it was!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/09/08 19:28:53 (permalink)
    Zussers, thanks for sharing your experience at the new Bearden Hill restaurant.

I look forward to trying it especially since you enjoyed it so much.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    carlton pierre
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/09/09 21:22:04 (permalink)
    Had dinner this evening at a fairly new Thai/Asian place in Farragut called Little Bangkok. Place is very clean, and pretty good sized as well. Excellent menu with many choices. I had some kind of shrimp/scallops curry which was spicy and very good. My wife had a Panang Curry which was in a very creamy sauce and also quite good. Chicken Satay was excellent, too. It's a bit of a drive from where I live and I didn't think it was any better than Soho or Taste of Thai but if you're out farther west it's a good choice.
    sissyann
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/09/30 14:39:34 (permalink)
    What is to come of the old Westside Tavern / Harry's building? I heard an Asian restaurant is going in there. I was surprised considering PF Chang's is there next door.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/09/30 16:04:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by sissyann

What is to come of the old Westside Tavern / Harry's building? I heard an Asian restaurant is going in there. I was surprised considering PF Chang's is there next door.

I have not heard of what will happen to the Westside Tavern. I agree with you that it is not likely another Asian place will be there as PF's is next door. That area is saturated with nice places.

What Knoxville does not have is a real good steak place or a real good BBQ place.

Peerless just opened up on Peters Road. They are out of upper East Tennessee and have a neat history. Suppose to be good in steaks. I do not know since I have not been there.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    carlton pierre
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/10/29 06:02:23 (permalink)
    I've been to the Wasabi Japanese grill/restaurant on Bearden Hill last 2 weeks in a row. I'm sure it is a franchise/chain but the food is good though hardly Japanese. I have not had any sushi but the food made at the table is pretty basic stuff, just done in a colorful way. I've been amazed at the number of Japanese restaurants in Knoxville.
    We've discussed Wok Hay, are there any other interesting, perhaps more authentic, Japanese/Asian places in town?
    V960
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/11/08 20:40:12 (permalink)
    I would be interested in TRUE Japanese places...not flying knives.
    carlton pierre
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/11/09 04:21:22 (permalink)
    Maybe TRUE Japanese places would be found in JAPAN!
    V960
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/11/09 08:17:34 (permalink)
    No.
    Mai in Charlotte
    Sushi Koji in Greenville, SC
    Hatsuhana @ 48th and Mad in NYC
    are just a few examples of really good Japanese restaurants in the states.

Granted they are rare but my question was does Knoxville have one? Or just Chinese places w/ a Korean guy making sushi? Flying knives places w/ no ume boshi or toro? Philly rolls (cream cheese on a sushi roll...please) and deep fried maki galore?

PS after thirty plus trips to Japan I still get caught in the fake sushi place over there. The fried pork cutlet w/ an egg in the middle at Mickie D's in Japan is pretty good however.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/11/09 08:24:11 (permalink)
    Knoxville has no true Japanese restaurants but I think the point that Carlton made was that he enjoyed the Wasabi.

It is a bit of the flying "knives", but it was good. I too have enjoyed this place.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    V960
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/11/09 09:43:12 (permalink)
    quote:

...I've been amazed at the number of Japanese restaurants in Knoxville.

The statement that generated my question. Charlotte and Greenville, SC have good ones and my hope springs eternal that K'ville might also.
    zussers
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/11/09 11:29:37 (permalink)
    I have been to Little Bangkok twice. (located off Campbell station road in the same center as Mellow mushroom) They give you the choice of how hot you want your dish by the number of stars you pick (1-5, 5 being the hottest) I found if you don't tell them the # of stars the food will be bland. I have to say that the Chef's curry 3 stars was out of this world. It was served in a bowl like soup-just excellent! I don't know how authentic it is but very tasty! I enjoy the Sushi @ Nama's Downtown on Gay St. but the owner does not appear to be Asian and is probably not authentic.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/11/09 12:44:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by V960

quote:

...I've been amazed at the number of Japanese restaurants in Knoxville.

The statement that generated my question. Charlotte and Greenville, SC have good ones and my hope springs eternal that K'ville might also.

V960, it probably ain't gonna happen in Knoxville. We got a few authenic restaurants but Japanese ain't one of them.

Lemon Grass in Maryville is good Thai and there a few others.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/11/09 14:14:04 (permalink)
    I like the flying knives.

I enjoy entertainment, and I enjoy food.

So, when it's together...great. I like it.

"real" Japanese. I don't care. I like the Japanese steak house.

V960
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/11/09 15:58:53 (permalink)
    I can enjoy flying knives (tepppanyaki) as much as the next guy but my quest was for the real stuff. Grilled fish testicles, baked fish necks, fried fish frames, and ume shiso tamaki to end the meal is what I'm looking for in K'town, actually anywhere in E TN. Between Carlton and Paul I catch the drift that this isn't going to happen.

Not unexpected but...consider that flying knives (teppanyaki) in Japan starts at $200/person and can go to $500/person (my last one in Japan was at the New Otani in Makuhari @ $450/person...NOT including alcohol) w/ no one blinking at the price. Kobe beef is to die for by the way.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/11/09 16:26:51 (permalink)
    If I put something like $500 on my expense report, I would expect that I would get my butt kicked.

Even though it sounds good, it is not going to happen with me.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    V960
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2005/11/09 17:52:39 (permalink)
    Itochu expected it. The $500 was per person...ten people were at the dinner. Lucky that in Japan tipping isn't a concern so the dinner was only a little over $6000 (one guy was drinking Louis XIV cognac at $100 a glass). But they bought a $14 mil plant for Vietnam.

Fourth of the way toward a coach class domestic ticket for just a dinner.
    technowannabe
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2006/01/16 14:37:26 (permalink)
    There is a nice Japanese restaurant hidden in Knoxville's far west suburb, Farragut. Gohan-Ya is actually Japanese owned and aims to provide authentic Japanese cuisine to the Knoxville area.

One of my co-workers who manages our relationships with Toshiba and Hitachi regularly takes his visiting Japanese counterparts there. This speaks volumes to me - besides my experience of always having excellent meals and sushi there.

Also, I've started a new section on my website (http://www.technowannabe.com) covering local restaurants, arts, entertainment and oddities. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
    Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: Ethnic in Knoxville 2006/01/16 14:48:38 (permalink)
    V960, I'm curious. Would you describe the items you mentioned, i.e., grilled fish testicles, baked fish necks, fried fish frames, and ume shiso tomaki? It all sounds exotic, mysterious and interesting. Thanks for educating me.

Donna
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1