The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Eureka! times 2

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
  • Roadfood Insider
Eureka! times 2 Tue, 08/24/04 1:10 AM (permalink)
Well we FINALLY got real buttermilk here in Martinsburg, Wv. The local Wal-Mart supercenter now carries it after 6 years of not doing so. It was too funny since we also found it at Trader Joe's this afternoon when we were in Fairfax, Va.

Good thing too since we didn't really care for the TJ version.

Today was my first trip to a TJ's and I found that I too liked it.

MikeS.

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
    RE: Eureka! times 2 Tue, 08/24/04 2:08 AM (permalink)
    Since I'm not a buttermilk afficianado, what is "real" buttermilk? Is it less tangy or salty? Inquiring minds want to know!

p.s. Ain't TJ's great?

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
      RE: Eureka! times 2 Tue, 08/24/04 3:40 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by MikeSh
      Today was my first trip to a TJ's and I found that I too liked it.
      MikeS.

It's really pretty impossible not to like it. But I have to warn you that you will find individual items there you don't like. I certainly have. But on the other side of the equation, there are so many things they have I wouldn't know where else to get. And individual items are really good. I mentioned their tomatoes elsewhere, but they may be the best example of why I love the place--it's a simple, straightforward item, but TJ's really are special and the closest thing to Italian San Marzano (which I think nearly everyone who has tried them rates as the best canned tomatoes anywhere).

Incidentally, even my cat agrees with this--I fed her TJ's canned tuna for cats ($.29/can) just once and she was hooked. Now she starts whining as soon as she sees the can. But recently I got concerned about the mercury/tuna issue and have been afraid to continue indulging her. If anyone has the facts about this, I'd appreciate the info.

Now have you discovered "Two-Buck Chuck" (which I discovered was actually "Three-Buck Chuck" in Arizona)?

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
        RE: Eureka! times 2 Tue, 08/24/04 5:45 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Jennifer_4

Since I'm not a buttermilk afficianado, what is "real" buttermilk? Is it less tangy or salty? Inquiring minds want to know!

p.s. Ain't TJ's great?

Jennifer4; Real buttermilk has the full fat content intact. The only thing I've been able to buy around here, within a 90 mile radius, has been fat-free. In the opinion of Picky Peggy and me the standard of great b’milk was set by the Knudsen dairy company’s Real Churned b’milk. It was getting hard to find when we left Fresno 6 years ago.

Fat free b’milk is just like anything else that has been made fat free. It is just wrong in the taste department.

Buttermilk should have hunks/chunks/flakes of butter suspended in the slightly sour tasting milk.

MikeS.

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
          RE: Eureka! times 2 Tue, 08/24/04 5:54 AM (permalink)
          BT; Two-Buck Chuck was another purchase made today. I bought a bottle of each varietal to try. Right now I have been stocking up on a red table wine from Costco named Rene Junot. It is a French wine that they sell here for about 3.99 for a 1.5L bottle. Very tasty, especially at that price point. Even if it is French...

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: Eureka! times 2 Tue, 08/24/04 9:21 AM (permalink)
            My favorite item from Trader Joes was the Orange Cranberry relish they stock during the holiday season. It puts all other grocery deli similiar products to shame.

BT

RE: Eureka! times 2 Wed, 08/25/04 3:45 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Real buttermilk has the full fat content intact. The only thing I've been able to buy around here, within a 90 mile radius, has been fat-free. In the opinion of Picky Peggy and me the standard of great b’milk was set by the Knudsen dairy company’s Real Churned b’milk. It was getting hard to find when we left Fresno 6 years ago.

Fat free b’milk is just like anything else that has been made fat free. It is just wrong in the taste department.

Buttermilk should have hunks/chunks/flakes of butter suspended in the slightly sour tasting milk.

MikeS.

Ain't the world going to H_ll in a hand basket, though? Not so long ago, most supermarkets in the Bay Area stocked "extra rich" milk--homogenized milk with more than the normal amount of cream left in, sort of between regular milk and half&half--and it was really good. Most coffee places had it available. I don't buy milk that often, but I wanted some the other day for cooking and noticed there was no more extra rich milk--but there were several kinds of "extra poor" milk (no fat, low fat, 2%, skim, blah blah). Don't the low-fat Nazis have all they need with low-fat and no-fat and why can't they leave the rest of us alone to enjoy life with "real" buttermilk and "extra rich" milk?

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                RE: Eureka! times 2 Wed, 08/25/04 3:39 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by BT

quote:
                Real buttermilk has the full fat content intact. The only thing I've been able to buy around here, within a 90 mile radius, has been fat-free. In the opinion of Picky Peggy and me the standard of great b’milk was set by the Knudsen dairy company’s Real Churned b’milk. It was getting hard to find when we left Fresno 6 years ago.

MikeS.

Ain't the world going to H_ll in a hand basket, though? Not so long ago, most supermarkets in the Bay Area stocked "extra rich" milk--homogenized milk with more than the normal amount of cream left in, sort of between regular milk and half&half--and it was really good. Most coffee places had it available. I don't buy milk that often, but I wanted some the other day for cooking and noticed there was no more extra rich milk--but there were several kinds of "extra poor" milk (no fat, low fat, 2%, skim, blah blah). Don't the low-fat Nazis have all they need with low-fat and no-fat and why can't they leave the rest of us alone to enjoy life with "real" buttermilk and "extra rich" milk?

Amen Brother BT! Amen. Down with the Fat Nazis!

MikeS.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                  RE: Eureka! times 2 Wed, 08/25/04 5:08 PM (permalink)
                  Wow, I never thought we have something in Florida that anyone would want. We have "full fat" buttermilk everywhere(never have seen it by the gallons, only halves, quarts), AND we have "cream top" milk. Before you can drink it you must push the "cream" down then shake the heck out of it to mix the solids, it gets easier as the milk is consumed of course and it is heavenly and not much more expensive.

BT

RE: Eureka! times 2 Wed, 08/25/04 6:52 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Rusty246

Wow, I never thought we have something in Florida that anyone would want. We have "full fat" buttermilk everywhere(never have seen it by the gallons, only halves, quarts), AND we have "cream top" milk. Before you can drink it you must push the "cream" down then shake the heck out of it to mix the solids, it gets easier as the milk is consumed of course and it is heavenly and not much more expensive.

So all those millions of tourists and the folks causing my dad to put a "Yankee Go Home!" bumper sticker on his car are coming for the buttermilk? Who knew?

BigGlenn

RE: Eureka! times 2 Wed, 08/25/04 7:31 PM (permalink)
                      I am Whole....I am not Skim, I am not 2% Fat, I am not Low Fat, I am not Reduced Fat and I sure as Hell ain't No Fat! There for I Say "Give me Whole Milk!"

redtressed

• Total Posts: 1017
                        RE: Eureka! times 2 Wed, 08/25/04 7:39 PM (permalink)
                        Mike........take a trip sometime down to Cass Scenic Railroad and Green Bank Observatory in Pocahontas County. Across the road, near the Observatory entrance is a very cool country market that has homemade full fat buttermilk, cream, butter and local meat, fresh baked goods and a lot of old time products not so easily found these days. Also stop in Monterey, Virginia , a really lovely small town, the county seat of Highland County. The only "modern" concession there is a couple quick stop/gas groceries. There are several diners, a great country store, artisans shops and a BEAUTIFUL Victorian Inn with awesome food, called the Highland Inn.

For More on this Area:
                        http://www.highland-inn.com/

http://www.pocahontas.org/home.aspx

fcbaldwin

• Total Posts: 388
                          RE: Eureka! times 2 Thu, 08/26/04 12:19 PM (permalink)
                          My wife and I have laughed at the so-called "fat-free buttermilk" that is in our grocery stores around the Richmond area. We are going to check out our Wal-Mart Supercenter stores for the real thing now that it's showing up elsewhere.

Frank

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                            RE: Eureka! times 2 Fri, 08/27/04 12:22 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by fcbaldwin

My wife and I have laughed at the so-called "fat-free buttermilk" that is in our grocery stores around the Richmond area. We are going to check out our Wal-Mart Supercenter stores for the real thing now that it's showing up elsewhere.
                            Frank

Frank, at our local Wally-World it was kinda hard to see. It is on a lower shelf, 1 up from bottom? in a single row width in qts @ 1.74. Marberg(?) brand, I think. Good luck!

It is good b'milk but at 1.74 per quart it is pricey. But not as pricey as driving 180 miles r/t to Fredricksburg, Va or 400+ to Cincy, Oh.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com