European wedding

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2006/01/31 20:03:50 (permalink)

European wedding

A few years ago I went to the wedding of a German friend in Heidelberg. I remember it being so different; not sure how much was a German tradition and how much was the creativity of the couple. I'll comment mostly on the food portion....

The celebration was a 2-3 day affair. It began with breakfast at the house of the couple. Then we all hiked to a local (400 year old) chapel ceremony followed by another en masse hike thru the Odenwald (forest behind their home). We made a stop there, and huge cauldrons of homemade soups were served in the forest. Then we walked to the castle in Heidelberg for photos and then to a townhouse below that was connected to the university in Heidelberg..

This was coffee & cakes time: each guest was to bring a cake or pie (often homemade) for the Kuchen-buffet. These desserts were placed on picnic tables in the garden while families played musical instruments around the garden.

After this we went into the townhouse for a formal dinner. One room had classical music, another a DJ, etc. After dinner the family put on a skit of the lives of the bride& groom. After much singing, dancing drinking, we went home....

Followed by a brunch at the home of the couple the next day.....and more celebrations all weekend long...

It was so very memorable, esp. the homemade dessert buffet.

I wonder if anyone else know of similar traditions....

7 Replies Related Threads

NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: European wedding 2006/02/01 22:10:45 (permalink)
    OK. I'll answer myself. NYNM, what an interesting story!!!
    Thank you, if I don't say so myself!!
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: European wedding 2006/02/01 23:32:30 (permalink)
    OK, I'll jump in...
    Years ago, I went to a wedding in the countryside of France...we are talking a really old fashioned, agricultural, quaint village. The wedding celebration lasted the entire weekend. We began with the civil ceremony (required in much of Europe) in the city hall, and then walked through the cobblestone streets (interrupting a farmer walking his cattle through these same streets, as well as ducks crossing to the sounds of church bells...the scene was straight out of a movie!) to the medieval church where the church ceremony would take place. Then, to the family farm, where a huge tent had been set up. First, delicious canapes and champagne were served...then, the endless feast, lasting well into the night. When we retired to our rooms, we were all in need of sleep. But a good night's rest was not in the cards, because the groomsmen, whose spirits were "enlivened" by endless bottles of champagne and wine, went on a rampage through the little village, going into houses, and coming up to bedrooms where they would rouse the sleepers with shouts and tossing mattresses in the air (with us in them!) A tradition, somebody commented!
    Somehow, these same characters, as well as the rest of us, were present the next day for brunch in the same tent. Needless to say,that brunch lasted well into the late afternoon, early evening.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: European wedding 2006/02/02 00:04:05 (permalink)
    Great stories, guys.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: European wedding 2006/02/02 01:37:51 (permalink)
    Well I can't comment on the wedding, but I'll say something about Heidelberg: I absolutely loved it when I was there years ago. Reading your discussion, I could kind of picture those places in my mind from my trip. And I could almost taste the Wiener Schnitzle mit Rheinwein. Anyway--I recommend a visit there to anyone, wedding or not.

http://www.machaydntheatre.org/SP90DrinkingSong1A.MPG

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: European wedding 2006/02/02 05:33:56 (permalink)
    tacchino- I would have showed the groomsmen the old American tradition of the old slap in the kisser. Chow Jim. Good story guys
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: European wedding 2006/02/02 15:08:34 (permalink)
    BT: Thanks for the photos! The forest we walked through was in the trees behnd the castle in your photo, and the meals were in a building close to the end of the street you've shown!! I'm lucky enough to return to visit these friend in Heidelberg Lindau-"Bodensee"/Lake Constance. I'll check out the food there.
    I know a lot of people don't have a chance to go to weddings in Europe.....how about we expand this topic to Traditional International Foods served at Ethnic Weddings in US! (besides Italian "Wedding Soup" and "Viennese tables"...)!
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: European wedding 2006/02/03 11:43:43 (permalink)
    At Canadian weddings, there is a tradition called a "shivaree". Everyone stays up drinking, then when they are good and wasted, they break into the newlyweds' room, flashing lights and banging on pots and pans. Once my cousins had the misfortune of spending their wedding night in a small camper in the back of my aunt's house. All the boisterous Irishmen started rocking the camper, and the shocked groom stumbled out wrapped only in a sheet, blinking in the shine of the flashlights. When I got married, we moved rooms for our wedding night and I notified all of the hotel staff that they were not to give out our new room number under any circumstances. We ended up outdrinking my brothers anyways.

As for food, Canadian wedding cake (and probably British) is actually fruitcake. The couple freezes the top layer to eat on their 1st anniversary. Small pieces are decoratively wrapped up, and given to single girls. If you sleep with the cake under your pillow, you will dream of your future husband.

I researched Latvian weddings before my marriage, since my husband's mother was born in Latvia. One weird tradition was for the bride to dramatically cry while her mother-in-law dragged her out of her parents' home...apparantly to show how much she would miss her family. We chose not to re-enact that one.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1