Ever had a collard sandwich, learn how to make one

Author
Barbarainnc
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 96
2007/01/17 19:30:00 (permalink)

Ever had a collard sandwich, learn how to make one

Collard Sandwich

I used Paula Deens recipe for Lace Hoecake Cornbread to make the "bread" part. I made up 1/2 of the recipe. Make sure your pan is real hot, before putting in the batter. I used 1/3 c for each. It kind of looks like lace around the edges. Brown on one side, turn over and brown on the other. Drain on papertowels. It made 5 cornbread patties.

I cooked 1 bag of frozen Picsweet Collards 16 oz with some water, cook until tender, salt and season with some bacon grease. Cook them until all of the liquid is cooked into the collards. Otherwise cook them dry.

To serve, put 1 piece of cornbread on a plate, put 1/2 of the collards on it and top with another piece of cornbread. Serve with hot peppers and fatback. Eat with a fork, too big to eat with your hands like a sandwich Make the other one and enjoy!!!! Just enough for 2 people

18 Replies Related Threads

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Ever had a collard sandwich, learn how to make one 2007/01/17 20:06:38 (permalink)
    How about this as far as recipes goes :

Completely thaw package. Saute' collards in bacon grease and perhaps a little water until tender (but not mushy), adding your favorite hot sauce while cooking (more = better). **

Using real butter, coat hot pone before adding collards.

Serve with fatback (yes!) and/or some good 'ole smoked fried link country sausage. Hot Dang!

** Use the pot likker' as some tasty sopin' sauce.

Barbarainnc
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Ever had a collard sandwich, learn how to make one 2007/01/18 09:19:37 (permalink)
    I like your idea of cooking the collards, will try it this way next time.
    pamelakrest
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 362
    RE: Ever had a collard sandwich, learn how to make one 2007/01/18 15:37:43 (permalink)
    My family thinks I am nutts...I love the pot likker just about more than the actual greens lolzzz all that likker & cornbread YUMMMMM
    fabulousoyster
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Ever had a collard sandwich, learn how to make one 2007/01/18 21:26:32 (permalink)
    I boil fresh torn, well rinsed collards,stemmed, in water and smoked turkey pieces for a long time.
    Have not made them in years, my family does'nt like them.
    I made fresh sweet corn bread and slathered on the butter to eat with the hot collards and smoked turkey.

To make a sandwich, I would use regular white bread, mayo both sides, well drained collards, sprinkle some vinegar, black pepper.

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Ever had a collard sandwich, learn how to make one 2007/01/21 10:08:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fabulousoyster

I boil fresh torn, well rinsed collards,stemmed, in water and smoked turkey pieces for a long time.
    Have not made them in years, my family does'nt like them.
    I made fresh sweet corn bread and slathered on the butter to eat with the hot collards and smoked turkey.

To make a sandwich, I would use regular white bread, mayo both sides, well drained collards, sprinkle some vinegar, black pepper.

Indeed, fresh greens (collards, turnip, beet, kale, etc.) all always better.

Grillmeister
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Ever had a collard sandwich, learn how to make one 2007/01/21 10:49:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pamelakrest

My family thinks I am nutts...I love the pot likker just about more than the actual greens lolzzz all that likker & cornbread YUMMMMM

PINTO BEAN LIKKER!!!
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: Ever had a collard sandwich, learn how to make one 2007/01/21 11:09:17 (permalink)
    With all the great foods in the world to make sandwichs with I'm not looking forward to one that contains collards, or brussel sprouts, or scun-gee-lee either.
    rouxdog
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: Ever had a collard sandwich, learn how to make one 2007/02/01 22:01:17 (permalink)
    I'm humbled. Never heard of a Collard sandwich! You have my attention... I plan to cut off some Country Ham, trim the fat, render down, saute the lean gently
    then add a little broth and spices along with those lovely Collards, simmer appropriately then slap this concoction atop some good cornbread!
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: Ever had a collard sandwich, learn how to make one 2007/02/01 22:18:14 (permalink)
    What the hell are youz-guyz talkin about?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10326
    RE: Ever had a collard sandwich, learn how to make one 2007/02/01 22:44:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fpczyz

What the hell are youz-guyz talkin about?

It's a Southern Thang that some people just wouldn't understand.Get 'Er Done!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18658
    RE: Ever had a collard sandwich, learn how to make one 2007/02/01 23:32:24 (permalink)
    I've never had a collards sandwich, but tonight I had some of the most wonderful collards I've tasted in a long while, right here in central Ohio. I bought a pint of greens cooked with smoked pork to go along with the pound of barbequed brisket and the macaroni and cheese I got at City Barbeque. The meat was terrific. Wonderful, actually. And the macaroni and cheese was excellent. But the greens -- oh, the greens. Slightly sour, but redolent of a smokiness and an unctuousness that could only come from beautifully smoked pork butt. I have to go now. There's some left.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5466
    RE: Ever had a collard sandwich, learn how to make one 2007/02/02 00:57:38 (permalink)
    Mama S. used to cook down different greens at home and we always liked them. I've never cooked any from scratch myself but I sure do like them. Ava and I will polish off a large can of Glory brand greens at dinner, we split it 50/50.

MikeS.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: Ever had a collard sandwich, learn how to make one 2007/02/02 20:13:47 (permalink)
    I share a garden space between my house and Mamaw Smiths. We plant winter greens each fall when we till up the old garden.

We have great collards, mustard and another type of greens that Mamaw Smith prefers. I think it may be turnip greens. She likes the turnips and I like the greens. I enjoy the collards the best and particularly with Mamaw Smith's Tennessee corn bread.

Mamaw cooks them with hog jawl, bacon fat or country ham fat, onions, salt, pepper and generally some jalapeno.

The corn bread really makes them.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Ever had a collard sandwich, learn how to make one 2007/02/02 20:26:31 (permalink)
    Turnip greens are my second most favorite behind collards. I do not really care for the root, either.
    soozycue520
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: Ever had a collard sandwich, learn how to make one 2007/02/02 22:47:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I've never had a collards sandwich, but tonight I had some of the most wonderful collards I've tasted in a long while, right here in central Ohio. I bought a pint of greens cooked with smoked pork to go along with the pound of barbequed brisket and the macaroni and cheese I got at City Barbeque. The meat was terrific. Wonderful, actually. And the macaroni and cheese was excellent. But the greens -- oh, the greens. Slightly sour, but redolent of a smokiness and an unctuousness that could only come from beautifully smoked pork butt. I have to go now. There's some left.

After hearing good things about City BBQ, I haven't gotten there yet {new one in Hyde Park Square in Cincinnati}. Mr. Hoffman, this description makes me want to run there!!! And, I will order your exact meal! SOUNDS YUMMY!!
    Big Ugly Mich
    • Total Posts : 1302
    RE: Ever had a collard sandwich, learn how to make one 2007/02/03 00:13:17 (permalink)
    I've had collards, but never as a sandwich (which is what I'd choose if I could only have one type of food). As they don't grow here, I use Pictsweet frozen ones when in the mood, and mix them with bacon.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18658
    RE: Ever had a collard sandwich, learn how to make one 2007/02/03 10:48:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by soozycue520

quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

After hearing good things about City BBQ, I haven't gotten there yet {new one in Hyde Park Square in Cincinnati}. Mr. Hoffman, this description makes me want to run there!!! And, I will order your exact meal! SOUNDS YUMMY!!

I get mine to go and make sandwiches at home. At $10.99 a pound for the brisket versus $5.99 for a brisket sandwich, I get a lot bigger bang for the buck. But, their pulled pork is terrific, too.

Here's their menu: http://www.citybarbeque.com/documents/CityBBQ_DineInMenu_Cols.pdf
    soozycue520
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: Ever had a collard sandwich, learn how to make one 2007/02/05 22:36:21 (permalink)
    Thanks for the link!!! I just printed out the menu. I'm going in prepared.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1