Every kid should have...

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
2011/04/10 17:26:00 (permalink)

Every kid should have...

Besides the obvious, there are many things every kid should have,  a dog for instance. what are you choices?
I didn't have a dog till I got married, 28 years ago, I regret not having that special friend sooner!

66 Replies Related Threads

the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/10 20:07:16 (permalink)
    CTF---Maryland, USA
    A dog is great if you have a couple of acres to let it run.  If instead you have to walk it with a leach and a plastic bag to pick up the poops it isn't such a big deal.  I had dogs from the time I was 7, but we always had space. 
    -----We also had a cat or two, dogs are better, unless you have mice.  In that case dogs
    are useless.  Now on the other hand--------
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18370
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/10 20:14:10 (permalink)
    I no longer have a dog. I can't train and work a dog properly any longer so having another one would be unfair to the dog. But I sure do miss having one.
    Uncle Groucho
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/10 20:24:51 (permalink)
    A Village.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/10 21:20:53 (permalink)
    Uncle Groucho

A Village.

As in where?

pnwchef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2372
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/10 21:30:46 (permalink)
    Tuscany
    Uncle Groucho
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/10 21:38:42 (permalink)
    A proverb that went " it takes a village to raise a child". I have learned this in the past 5 yrs with my daughter. Our Family and Friends and her school are molding her to be a very special young girl, and I am glad to be part of it.
    On another note a nintendo ds lite , a wii, a fat dog that loves her and a crazycat that looks after her.
                  I hope this is what you were talking about

CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 521
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/11 05:40:20 (permalink)
    I'm sorry CHEWINGTHEFAT - but I just can't resist - you left a hanging curve -

Does your wife know that you think that she is a dog?

Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa plus several Hail mary's

Phottoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 111
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/11 10:03:06 (permalink)
    @CCJPO

You got must of it right, it's "mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa."

Translated, "through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault."
    pnwchef
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/11 11:05:49 (permalink)
    Should have a chance to spend an afternoon at the ball park with their Dad eating hot dogs. It will be a day they will never forget..........pnwc
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/11 11:06:39 (permalink)
    Phottoman, you must have been an altar boy back in the days of the Latin Mass-----Either that or a terrible sinner looking for forgiveness.

and Chef --- I agree with you---I seem to remember everyday my Father took
    me to Ebbets Field to see our beloved Dodgers (who usually were in last place).
    I don't remember a lot of stuff, but those days were "GOLDEN"
    post edited by the ancient mariner - 2011/04/11 11:09:48
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/11 11:35:08 (permalink)
    CCJPO

I'm sorry CHEWINGTHEFAT - but I just can't resist - you left a hanging curve -

Does your wife know that you think that she is a dog?

Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa plus several Hail mary's

That's very funny, I usually don't leave myself so wide open, ya knocked it outta the park!

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/11 11:38:34 (permalink)
    A paper route, instills a work ethic and cash to blow at the ballgame with dad!
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/11 11:56:59 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

I don't think there is such a thing anymore, at least not where I live. I get 2 papers and both come around 3:30 am, I don't think you want a kid out at that hour.
    pnwchef
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/11 11:58:42 (permalink)
    If he has a Paper route he can't go to the ball game. Then dad gets a girl friend, takes her to the game, Mom finds out, divorces dad and now the kids have live between two homes. The kid with the paper Route now has enough money to buy drugs "didn't get to go to the ball game, had to work" now he's in rehab, tell the Dr it's all his dads fault, If he only loved me enough to take me to a ball game.............Nice going Chewy, Home wrecker..............
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/11 12:19:38 (permalink)
    PNWCHEF

If he has a Paper route he can't go to the ball game. Then dad gets a girl friend, takes her to the game, Mom finds out, divorces dad and now the kids have live between two homes. The kid with the paper Route now has enough money to buy drugs "didn't get to go to the ball game, had to work" now he's in rehab, tell the Dr it's all his dads fault, If he only loved me enough to take me to a ball game.............Nice going Chewy, Home wrecker..............

Nah! The kid will be fine if a certain someone would tell him about a French Dip at Philippe's!

Phottoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 111
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/11 12:42:50 (permalink)
    @ The Ancient Mariner, correct and correct.  I tell people whenever I can that as Catholics we were born guilty, and still are, of everything that happens even when we aren't/weren't there.

@ PNWCHEF  beautiful, and had me laughing.

Photto
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/11 12:59:15 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

PNWCHEF

Nah! The kid will be fine if a certain someone would tell him about a French Dip at Philippe's!

You don't want to know anything about French dips. I got one once somewhere in California -- Willits, I think, or maybe Yreka -- and when the waitress brought it to me she plunked it down on the table along with a bowl of some brown looking liquid. I asked her what that stuff was and she said I should stick my sandwich in it. So I told her where she could stick the damned sandwich and walked out.

No sir, you don't want to know anything about French dips.

post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2011/04/11 13:00:45
    pnwchef
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/11 13:13:23 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

chewingthefat

PNWCHEF

You don't want to know anything about French dips. I got one once somewhere in California -- Willits, I think, or maybe Yreka -- and when the waitress brought it to me she plunked it down on the table along with a bowl of some brown looking liquid. I asked her what that stuff was and she said I should stick my sandwich in it. So I told her where she could stick the damned sandwich and walked out.

No sir, you don't want to know anything about French dips.

LMAO
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/11 14:24:16 (permalink)
    kland01s

chewingthefat

I don't think there is such a thing anymore, at least not where I live. I get 2 papers and both come around 3:30 am, I don't think you want a kid out at that hour.

I think paper routes are all run by adults with vehicles now. (My Sunday paper comes about 5:30 to 6:00 am.)  Kids have too much other stuff (Little League, football practice, playing video games, etc.) to do in the afternoon these days.  The newspaper can use the adults, give them twice as many papers to deliver, and pay them just slightly more than what the kids were getting.  Adults are more reliable, less likely to forget a house, and more likely to get it on the porch instead of in the bushes.  Therefore, the paper doesn't have to make very many "special deliveries" any more, which saves them money. 

I delivered evening papers over 60 years ago, when there were both morning and evening editions (and very few of the kids wanted to get up early enough to deliver morning papers before going to school).  Now the evening edition is long gone, so this is also a good reason to turn to the adults for delivery.  I can see most newspapers going to strictly online in the not too distant future, just like the Seattle Post-Intelligencer (at seattlepi.com) has done.  I go on there all the time to see all of my favorite comics that our own paper has dropped over the years.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/11 14:52:42 (permalink)
    Every afternoon after school---delivered the Brooklyn Eagle on my bike.  Rain or shine---I didn't have a car with a chauffeur (who also was a mother) to run me around when it was raining or a little snow on the ground. 

Then on Sunday --meet the train from Brooklyn at 530 AM.  Put the big, fat Sunday edition together and load it into my sister's baby carriage, cause the papers were too heavy and bulky for the two wheeler.  Walk and push the carriage over the whole route.  Miles.

Then every Friday go around and try to collect from a bunch of dead beats.

Every kid should have a paper route---builds character. 
    post edited by the ancient mariner - 2011/04/11 14:53:58
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1846
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/11 14:58:53 (permalink)
    Every young man should spend a High School summer doing farm help.  Mucking stalls, tending fence, feeding/watering animals, scraping/painting out buildings, cleaning grain silos, and best of all bailing/stacking hay in a 110 degree barn for an afternoon or ten.  It's one of those jobs that wakes you up to what a real days work is like, and what it feels like at the end of the day knowing you really earned your pay.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/11 15:36:39 (permalink)
    Got something against young women?
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/11 16:56:31 (permalink)
    Every kid should have access to a pond or lake that has a rope attached to a tall tree limb that they can swing way out on, wheeeee!!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/11 17:07:01 (permalink)
    I had a few of those places, but the best one was the Washington Bridge over the Housatonic River on U.S. 1 between Stratford and Devon in Connecticut. We'd tie ropes to that sucker and swing out and drop down into the river. When the ropes were busy we'd just dive from the bridge.

That was how I first experienced Danny's (reviewed on Roadfood). When the Milford cops showed up on the Devon side we'd take off to the Stratford side where Danny's is. Great burgers, although I didn't like the ring of green bell pepper they put on them.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/11 20:20:35 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

I had a few of those places, but the best one was the Washington Bridge over the Housatonic River on U.S. 1 between Stratford and Devon in Connecticut. We'd tie ropes to that sucker and swing out and drop down into the river. When the ropes were busy we'd just dive from the bridge.

That was how I first experienced Danny's (reviewed on Roadfood). When the Milford cops showed up on the Devon side we'd take off to the Stratford side where Danny's is. Great burgers, although I didn't like the ring of green bell pepper they put on them.

Every kid should have the fear of God put in them for doing nothing much, yet feeling the need to run your azz off to get away from "THE COPS", then having the euphoric delight of a successful escape, accomplished en masse, after toilet papering a tree on Halloween!

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/11 20:58:26 (permalink)
    Oh, we never stooped to toilet papering a tree. No, come halloween, which for us began in September and continued through the end of October, our thing was to fill paper bags with dog droppings, put them on the front porches of nasty people and light the bags on fire, ring the doorbell, and laugh like crazy when the angry homeowner would stomp out the fire, thereby messing up his shoes or slippers, or, when it was still really warm in September, his bare feet.
    pnwchef
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/11 21:23:11 (permalink)
    Michael, if they did that at Chewy's house they would burn the porch down. I could tell you, a local Italian sandwich maker would be first in line..................Double meat please
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/11 21:29:22 (permalink)

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Every kid should have... 2011/04/11 22:15:45 (permalink)
    PNWCHEF

Michael, if they did that at Chewy's house they would burn the porch down. I could tell you, a local Italian sandwich maker would be first in line..................Double meat please

Italian Subs around here wouldn't scorch a mark on my porch, "no meat, no heat!"[Johnny Cochran]!

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1