Ex servers bad mouthing!

Author
adbunting
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 72
2006/11/09 15:36:32 (permalink)

Ex servers bad mouthing!

OK, here we go again. I understand that the bad attituded (is that a word?) server that was let go has been bad mouthing my little disfunctional restaurant (actually I don't own it, but I'm the breakfast cook).

Apparently she's got a REAL big mouth and we've been hearing down the pike that she has no qualms about telling everyone the food is "garbage". Since she was let go we've also had tons of problems with unsubstantiated claims of the place being dirty from the owner of the building and I keep expecting a Health Inspector to show up any second. It has been getting better over time but it's been a slow process.

Now, THIS is where it gets personal because I AM the cook and it's MY REPUTATION for the quality of the food...of which I am VERY FRIGGIN PICKY about what is served.

What would you do and how would you handle this?

April <grrrr>

11 Replies Related Threads

Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Ex servers bad mouthing! 2006/11/09 15:41:02 (permalink)
    Keep up the good work. Make sure you can pass inspections. Let your cookin' do the talkin'!
    jellybear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Ex servers bad mouthing! 2006/11/09 17:07:31 (permalink)
    April,I understand where you are coming from,As long as you keep the food quality up your customers will keep on coming thru the door.But I would kick her azz if I caught her outside.
    GB944
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    RE: Ex servers bad mouthing! 2006/11/09 18:37:52 (permalink)
    I know people that would "disappear" her for nothing more than that.
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Ex servers bad mouthing! 2006/11/09 23:34:44 (permalink)
    wow, you are still there???? gluton for punishment, april.... pick up your bag of tricks,. and move on..........
    Voyageur
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 400
    RE: Ex servers bad mouthing! 2006/11/10 14:17:56 (permalink)
    Sadly, here's another case of where a proper hiring process was apparently not followed. I can't image that server coming in looking for work and seeming all warm and friendly as if she could get along with both customers and staff. And, I've a strong suspicion that either no references were called or the proper questions were not asked. For fear of being sued, former employers may be reluctant to tell you some real dirt, but they'll certainly comment on how friendly and helpful someone was. I don't think this situation spontaneously developed from just something that happened while the server was working at her latest job. However I realize that I'm not suggesting anything that April or her employer can do to solve the current problem.

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8355
    RE: Ex servers bad mouthing! 2006/11/10 14:51:34 (permalink)
    April-is there no other restaurant that you could go to for a new job???Either clean up what is happening there-or move on,honey...I really know how it can be-I had the same situation years ago-but the monster that had been created at the restaurant I worked at was WAY too big for me to solve without support...
    adbunting
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: Ex servers bad mouthing! 2006/11/10 15:34:30 (permalink)
    Yes...yes...still there at present. A paycheck no matter how meager at the moment is better than a poke in the eye on principle. I had hoped for more but not getting a lot back. Pay is low, no benefits, like almost insulting, but I had hoped to negotiate after it was clear I was really helping this little venture get off the ground. But today was a different story. (like getting a shot of Turkish Coffee)

It's clear that they really don't want to reward me by even considering paying me what I'm worth.

No, I'm not particularly masochistic unless you count loving the restaurant business in the first place.

Unfortunately we're not in a big city. It's clipping 35k people but still has the little mom and pop mentality. <read: we're going to pay a little above minimum wage and work you like a dog>

Hence hiring someone like the SERVER.

There are several places I've applied to and either get "you're overqualified but we'll hire you if you'll take 7 bucks an hour" or flat out "we're paying 7 bucks an hour"...

I guess the sad part is that today I mentioned getting paid for my time doing research after work (as in pricing and costing items, developing recipes and working on advertising - I'm an artist as well) and paid extra for my baking. They have no clue about the restaurant business and I've been trying to help. Pushing the marketing aspect and I have been giving them all kinds of ideas and input and pushing bakery, of which there are NONE here in the valley, BUT they seem to think I'm still doing this all for ... 7 ... bucks ... an ... hour ...

I'm supposed to bake 10 pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving dinner. I've been pushing offering pies, cakes and desserts (all of which I would do) BUT they still are assuming I'm doing it for ... well... see above.

We had discussed our both making a financial windfall on this, but she wants me to bake all of these frigging pies and make over $5 profit on each without even considering that it's my genius that is making it possible?

The suggestion was met with a kind of almost surprise that I would even expect such a thing and 'perhaps I could do it while I was at work (getting paid crap wages) on our slow days'.

I know she's kind of mired in the fact that we've been really slow the past week since the fire of the Server (plus a variety of personal problems but not really my concern in this instance because there's nothing I can personally do)

Hmmm...

So now, in spite of really liking the fact that I can expand my input and talent, they don't want to pay me for my experience, input and talent. Of course they say that they don't want to lose me. (why would they?) I'm the breakfast lead, Hell, I'm the ONLY cook, prep, suggest, plan specials...

OKOK...I get it... all of you can stop rolling your eyes into your scalps.

I do have some applications out there with my resume (Maybe I should dumb it down and then I'd get hired...?

But like I said, it's a lot about this area (which we want to get out of asap but it's slow going getting the house sold).

Believe me if someone out there would write to me and say they'd help me get out from under all of this and I could make my magic for them I'd leave in a week!

Of course I digress...thanks for all the support. I certainly appreciate it.

April

Voyageur
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 400
    RE: Ex servers bad mouthing! 2006/11/10 15:47:22 (permalink)
    Good luck, April. Maybe when that house is sold, you'll have the funds available to be your own boss, and not work for those whose talents do not equal yours.
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 907
    RE: Ex servers bad mouthing! 2006/11/11 21:23:17 (permalink)
    Regarding your extra efforts on "Pricing/costing, recipes, advertising ..."
    These things are usually the responsibility of people who are being paid where their extra time is at no cost to the owners ... that means salaried - general manager, kitchen manager, executive chef etc. In a very small restaurant this is often the owner/operator, or if they actually have the cashflow to support a decently paid employee, a full manager who is head chef. Such activities (including creative) are part of the operational controls and procedures of the restaurant. The place you work at sounds like they have never intended to pay you or anyone else to deal with these things.
    If ownership/management isn't there already, they are not likely to be dragged there. Peoples egos get involved when they have not come to the conclusion on their own that they need to hire someone else to do things that might actually be their own responsibilities.

What are you getting out of this job? ... a lack of recognition for your successes, a lack of respect for your experience and knowledge, unsatisfactory co-workers, a lack of authority when you need it, unpleasant working conditions, bad wages, a mediocre (at best) job reference ....... maybe the irritation of having to watch a restaurant that you feel has potential squander it's opportunities. (?)

And particularly in the case of where non-restaurant people have decided to operate a restaurant ... you are *not* going to save them from themselves ... not while they are running things.
    What is the chance they opened the restaurant without the intention of operating it personally? ... You can not be manager in such a small operation while an owner is the manager.

annpeeples is exactly right. April, you need a different arrangement.

It's time to swing for the fences ... even if that means having to commute much further to get to a better restaurant.

It sounds like maybe you might even be happy someday with a place of your own.

Traveling far on the wrong road won't get you to where you want to go.
    It's time to find a better road.

Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    RE: Ex servers bad mouthing! 2006/11/12 09:23:36 (permalink)
    Regarding the server who is badmouthing you,

Mist people recognize liars and trashtalkers for exactly what they are. They would immediately recognize this person who was just fired for exactly that. Ignore it.

Tom
    Iowacafegal
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Ex servers bad mouthing! 2006/11/17 02:15:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mosca

Regarding the server who is badmouthing you,

Mist people recognize liars and trashtalkers for exactly what they are. They would immediately recognize this person who was just fired for exactly that. Ignore it.

Tom

April you wrote about Pies tell me your in AZ ?
    If so talk with me .
    The Iowa Cafe Gal
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1