Ex-Con Steakhouse in Los Angeles

Author
Pepper Breath
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
2004/01/06 09:00:46 (permalink)

Ex-Con Steakhouse in Los Angeles

Back in 1980 I was on a road trip with a couple of buddy's and we ate at a place in Los Angeles that was run by a guy that was an ex-con, and supposedly all his staff were ex-cons. He hired them as they came out of the house to help get back into the working world.
The only thing on the menu was steak, but I don't remember which cut. All you told the waiter when you sat down was how you wanted it, and within just a couple of minutes you had a nice juicey steak and baked potato. There might have been salad included too. When your table was finished you paid and left as there was a line out the door of people waiting to get in.
Anybody know of it and whether it's still there?

9 Replies Related Threads

hover
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Ex-Con Steakhouse in Los Angeles 2006/03/14 02:20:05 (permalink)
    Hey, I ate there a couple of times in the early 80s and I've been looking for the name of it ever since. And yes you did get a salad and garlic cheese bread with the steak! Anybody out there know the name of this place???
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Ex-Con Steakhouse in Los Angeles 2006/03/14 05:32:53 (permalink)
    I'm quite certain that we could come up with a few catchy names. What a concept, would love to see the wait staff outfits. Good luck to them, hope it's still in busniess. Chow Jim
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Ex-Con Steakhouse in Los Angeles 2006/03/14 16:56:53 (permalink)
    This is not a new idea. San Francisco has, for decades, had Delancey St., an excellent restaurant (and halfway house) run by people in recovery from drug use and either graduates of or currently in their highly-regarded rehab program. Most of the these people are also ex-cons. The restaurant accomplishes two goals: it makes money for the rehab programs and it provides the clients job training. See: http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/profile/880084/ As you can see, diners give the place a 9.2 out of 10 rating--not bad!
    hover
    Junior Burger
    RE: Ex-Con Steakhouse in Los Angeles 2006/03/14 20:32:38 (permalink)
    Yep, I'm verrrry familiar w/ Delancey Street in all of its forms-- from restaurants to Christmas trees! I'm from SF and eat there regularly. One of my favorite places to bring out of towners, too. But I'm really stumped trying to remember the name of the LA place -- if you're familiar with the Bay Area, the restaurant had kind of the feel of Brennan's in Berkeley without the bar or the cafeteria-style service -- after all they were training people to be classy waiters. But it was that same sort of big barnlike space with some old, dark hardwood details and lots of tables. Wish I could remember it -- it was really good, reasonable, and as with Delancey Street, a good thing to support.
    hover
    Junior Burger
    RE: Ex-Con Steakhouse in Los Angeles 2006/03/14 20:36:59 (permalink)
    Oh -- I also remembered that someone told me (again back in the 80s) that the restaurant was a "phase 2" rehab project -- that the phase 1 involved a cattle ranch somewhere where the folks who had done their time and signed up went first -- to work out of an urban environment and that the restaurant folks were the ones who had passed phase one of cattle ranching.... was never able to substantiate it, but it sounded so good I prayed it was true.
    IansMom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Ex-Con Steakhouse in Los Angeles 2006/03/14 21:31:04 (permalink)
    D Street was my old hangout when I lived in SF,,, my sister and I lived pretty much next door at the South Beach Apts. in fact my sister dated one of there chefs for a while.... I miss D Street....
    plb
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1036
    RE: Ex-Con Steakhouse in Los Angeles 2006/03/14 22:51:08 (permalink)
    There is a place close to downtown L.A., the name escapes me, that hires mostly ex-cons, but it is not a steakhouse. I want to say something like Original Pantry?
    drsmoke02
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: Ex-Con Steakhouse in Los Angeles 2006/03/16 15:39:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by plb

There is a place close to downtown L.A., the name escapes me, that hires mostly ex-cons, but it is not a steakhouse. I want to say something like Original Pantry?

The original pantry is a meat and potatoes place in downtown L.A.,it has waiters,no waitresses,who avarage about 60 or so years, ON THE JOB!They must great tips.Always a line,open 24/7 has never closed for even a minute since it opened in the 1920's.

They have moved locations twice in all the yrs.and still never closed.Ok food,worth the wait once,just to say you've been there.

Doesn't hire ex-cons exclusively,looks like they don't hire anyone unless one of the waiters dies of old age.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Ex-Con Steakhouse in Los Angeles 2006/03/18 01:05:59 (permalink)
    I believe former L.A. mayor Richard Riordan was the owner of The Original Pantry at one time.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1