Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs 2005/01/28 06:19:18 (permalink)
TnGuy,

Somehow I messed up trying to reply with your quote. Just look in the box above. My reply is below your quote.
TnGuy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 75
RE: Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs 2005/01/28 18:58:18 (permalink)
Ort. Carlton - thank you for all the different recommendations for mustards. As I shop throughout our area (Oak Ridge/Knoxville) I'll be keeping a sharp eye out for the ones you have mentioned.

John Fox - thanks for letting me know about the Baker's Gold - and the others you have mentioned, too. I just did a Google on "Baker's Gold Dusseldorf Mustard" that didn't meet with any success. Do you happen to know if it is available retail or special-order anywhere (perhaps under a different name)? Same for the Admiration deli mustard? I'm going to have to look in my area to see if Sabrett's mustard is carried anywhere, too.

P.S. - we are going to try some more of the Thumann's dogs from our freezer this weekend. We're expecting an ice-storm beginning tonight and through tomorrow, so locked inside the house with some deep-fried dogs (even if they do have a touch of freezer burn) sounds like a lovely way to wait for the melting to begin.

TnGuy
John Fox
RE: Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs 2005/01/29 08:16:57 (permalink)
I just looked on the label for Baker's Gold mustard, and it says Gold Pure Food Products, 1 Brooklyn Rd. Hempstead Village, N.Y. You can also try to get in touch with the Sabrett distributor where I purchased this mustard. I don't remember the particular name; but it may be listed under Sabrett in Sayreville N.J. I got this mustard awhile ago when I happenned to be in the area, which is a ways from where I live. Restaurant Depot does not carry this brand anymore.

As for Admiration deli mustard, I'll have to look on the label next time I see one. The store owned by Best Provisions in Newark sells this brand for about $2.50 a gallon. The name of the store is Karis and they are located on Avon Ave. in Newark. Restaurant Depot carries this brand if you have one near you. Next time I go to Best's, I'll look at the label for the company name.

An interesting little story. Best Provisions and Karis across the street where I get hot dog rolls, are closed Sundays. Most of the time I work 6 days a week so I don't get to go unless I run there at 6 in the morning before work. A few months ago, I asked my wife if she would run over and get me some of the beef dogs from Best that are used at Syd's (natural casing 5 to a lb). She replied, "Absolutely not! I don't want to get shot". The place is not in the best area, but you park right next to the loading dock and walk up the stairs and enter in the back. Maybe 20 seconds from the car to being inside. I couldn't talk her into it, and I didn't feel like getting up extra early, so I didn't get the dogs that week. The next day, I read in the Sunday Star Ledger that a policeman was shot right on that street the day before when I asked my wife to go! Fortunately, he was wearing a bullet proof vest which saved him. Now my wife won't even take the ride with me.
TnGuy
Hamburger
RE: Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs 2005/01/30 11:56:52 (permalink)
The lengths some will go to to have a great dog. John, it sounds as if getting one all-the-way in Mosul might actually be safer. Might I suggest an armoured Humvee next time, perhaps? You can move a hell of alot of dogs and rolls in one of those baby's. Also, consider a Valentine's Day gift of a bow-wrapped Uzi for your wife. Then you can have her ride shotgun next to you in the Humvee.

Thanks for the info, John. I did a search on Gold's and came up with their website. My wife and I also remember them from when we lived up North. They are a real quality company with great products. After looking at what they sell, I was wondering if you think that what they retail as their "Deli Mustard" (http://www.goldshorseradish.com/cgi-bin/surfshop/shop.cgi?1107102314&keygroups=GOLD00005&storeid=1&c=search.htm&&scount=11) might be the same as what you purchase listed as "Baker's Gold Dusseldorf Style Mustard"? I plan on giving Gold's a call sometime during this week to ask them about it, too.

The closest Restaurant Depot is down in Atlanta - about a three hour drive from me. We get down that way a few times per year, so that may be an option - if they would sell us a single quantity from their warehouse there, that is.

We pretty much dodged the ice-storm bullet here yesterday. My wife and I did try deep-frying up some more of the dogs in the afternoon, though. Cooked them for about 5 minutes total - a couple of minutes longer than after they began to split. Though they tasted good, I'm pretty well convinced now that they have been in the freezer for too long, causing freezer burn to the skin and some loss of taste. I can't wait for the new package to arrive this week, so we can try out some fresh ones and get the 'real thing'. Finding a good roll is still presenting itself as a challenge. I haven't yet had the time to research our local area for food-service rolls and bakeries that might bake some, though I look forward to finding out and learning more.

TnGuy
TnGuy
Hamburger
RE: Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs 2005/02/10 09:23:24 (permalink)
John Fox:

Well, it took an extra week for the Thumann's distibutor to get a new batch of dogs to me, but we now have a fresh 5lbs (well, minus a few). So, I fired up the deep fryer and tossed a couple in. What a difference! The new ones plumped up even more than the older ones that had sat in the freezer for months - and they seemed to cook more evenly, too. The first dog I cooked for about 6 minutes. It smelled and tasted wonderful - juicy and delicious. But the skin didn't have the 'snap' that I remember. So I decided to give the next dog more time in the oil - about 12 minutes to be exact. Perfection! The longer cooking gave it a more pronounced 'rip' and the skin became crisp and crinkly - with a terrific 'snap' when bitten into!

As far as the ongoing mustard hunt story goes, I ended up calling Gold's and speaking with Mark Gold (a very kind fellow, who offered some free mustard should we ever be in their neighborhood). He said that the Gold's Deli Mustard is the same thing as the Baker's Gold Dusseldorf Style Mustard. So my next quest was to try and find it here, locally. Mark said that he knew of no distributors in the east Tennessee area. But in doing some grocery shopping last week at a small shopping market chain, I saw that they carried Gold's Mustard & Horseradish combination - but not their Deli Mustard. But in looking at their mustard selection I noticed that one brand they carreid was Nathan's Deli Mustard. And in checking the packaging I happened to notice it said "Mfg. by Gold's, Hempstead, N.Y.". BINGO! So I picked some up and used it on the dogs the other night. And sure enough it's THE mustard that my wife and I both remember as the perfect dog spread. Thanks for the recommendation.

I've taken your suggestion and tried calling Bill Merkent of Thumman's a few times, but have been unable to catch him so far. I plan on asking him about the freezing qualities of the deep fryer dogs - and the best way for me to ensure freshness in getting them here to my doorstep.

My next test will be to take one of the newer frozen dogs and one of the older ones, and cook them side-by-side and see what the differences are. By now I'm pretty well convinced that the older ones have freezer burn from sitting for so long. It will be interesting to directly see the differences in taste and texture.

But I think we are well on our way to Texas Weiner Heaven here!

Oh, and a question (or two) about Rutt's relish. Do you know if it's a sweet relish or a dill relish? Could you recommend any store-bought that might be even somewhere in the same ballpark?

TnGuy
John Fox
RE: Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs 2005/02/11 06:07:57 (permalink)
TnGuy,

Glad everything worked out with the dogs. I still have about 4 lbs left from the last batch. They do freeze well. Yours must have been refrozen or really old. I've kept mine upt to 3 months and never had a problem. I'm surprised that Gold's Deli Mustard is the same as Bakers Gold Dusseldorf. I don't remember having Gold's Deli Mustard, but the Dusseldorf mustard seems to me to be a little different than the deli mustards that I've tried. Smoother and slightly thicker in texture.

Rutt's is a sweet relish. I haven't had anything that comes close. The most similar might be B&G yellow or mustard relish.
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2164
RE: Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs 2005/02/12 16:01:54 (permalink)
As far as the rolls go, I think the Sara Lee gourment come closest to Pechter's. I tried out several brands of Frankfurter rolls sold in the Florida panhandle market, including other brands produced by Earthgrains, and believe the Sara Lee are the best replacement for Pechters.
David_NYC
RE: Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs 2005/02/12 16:12:00 (permalink)
Oh, on those Sara Lee rolls, I was suprised to find an outlandish expiration date of something like two weeks out from the date they are delivered to the market. I took the freshest batch I could find. Those Earthgrains products are almost indestructable, but fresh is best!
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs 2005/02/12 17:44:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by David_NYC

Oh, on those Sara Lee rolls, I was suprised to find an outlandish expiration date of something like two weeks out from the date they are delivered to the market.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I live alone and don't eat a lot of bread, so I have always had a problem with the majority of a loaf of bread getting moldy before I get it eaten, no matter whether it was a private label brand or Butternut, Wonder, etc. Since Sara Lee bread has become available here, I have found that it will keep more than a month without molding and without any change in taste. I don't know how they do it (maybe it is loaded with preservatives), but for me it makes sense to pay a little more for a loaf of bread I don't end up throwing away!
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs 2005/03/16 16:22:24 (permalink)
I thought I'd post this for TNGuy, and anyone else in Knoxville area who might be interested. I was in Ingle's today and noticed that they are carrying Sabrett's hot dogs, as well as Nathan's, and Hebrew Nationals. I've never had a Sabrett's dog but from reading your posts it seems to be that is popular and wanted you to know it's available here.
I didn't think to look at the various mustards they carried.
I find Ingle's to be very receptive to ordering, and stocking, specialty items not normally found in this area. They may be willing to help you with Thumann's as well.
TnGuy
Hamburger
RE: Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs 2005/03/17 15:23:24 (permalink)
carlton pierre - thank you very much for mentioning those. What I have been attempting to do is try and recreate the particular type of dog that I grew up with in northern New Jersey called a "Texas Weiner" - a deep-fryer dog topped with mustard, chopped onions and a flavorful, mild chili-type sauce. This forum - and John Fox in particular - have been invaluable in doing this. I've been able to find the Thumann's deep-fryer dogs by ordering them through the bagel shop in Oak Ridge (they use Thumann's meats on their sandwiches). I end up ordering the 5-lb. minimum and freezing the rest. My next move (sometime within the next few months) will be to order some of the sauce from one of the Texas Weiner dog joints in NJ, get a fresh order of the Thumann's dogs, and eat a bit of hot dog nirvana. Oh, and my wife and I will do our best to try and recreate the chili sauce so that we will be able to make it on our own here in TN.

TnGuy
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs 2005/03/17 17:13:04 (permalink)
Sounds like your making progress. Where there's a will.... Good luck.
ctfrasier
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 253
RE: Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs 2005/03/18 18:19:10 (permalink)
There is a place in Cookeville called The Dog House on North Cedar Ave. They serve Detroit style coneys which may not be exactly what you are looking for but the dogs are good. The owner makes a run to Michigan with a refrigerated trailer every week or so, at least he did when I was in school there, to get a brand of dog unavailable here in the South.
broesing
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs 2005/06/20 14:29:23 (permalink)
I'm looking for the "All the way" hot dog sauce recipe like that served at the Falls View in Patterson ,NJ. Is there anyone, anywhere that can help me? I've been looking for 30 years since I moved from NJ to PA. I've tried many "chili dog" recipes but they are not even close. Thanks, Bernie
dmalfet
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs 2007/10/25 08:52:18 (permalink)
Someone opened an "Original Fallsview" place, on Route 46 in W Paterson/Totowa.My husband was overjoyed, as the REAL original Fallsview was his idea of heaven. He grew up off McBride Ave, in W Paterson. But ,alas, it is not even close, according to him. In fact, he hated it!

We live in upstate NY. We drive dowm to Jersey every so often to do some cemetary work, as he promised his mom. We always make it a hot dog run and a meat pie run, as well.
He liked the Colonial..but that closed or changed hands or something and it wasn't as good.He liked Rascal House, years ago but That is gone now,too

We've been going to Libbys for years(He wasn't nuts about Johnny and Hanges).He also didn't like Rutt's Hutt!!
YES,He is REALLY picky about his dogs..lol. I think he just misses Fallsview so much that for him, everything pales in comparison.

I can't imagine growing up in this area and never knowing about The Hot Grill..but he didn't! We went there last Saturday,for the first time, and I think he will FINALLY stop whining about Fallsview.
It was absolutely great and we can't wait to go back!

If I really want a dog, I'll open a can of Skyline Chili(Cincinnati style) but he will not touch it!! He says that stuff is an "abomination" to a true Jersey boy..:)
TnGuy
Hamburger
RE: Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs 2007/10/25 14:01:47 (permalink)
dmalfet - my brother-in-law still lives in Jersey and agrees that it's not worth it to even try the "new" Falls View. I grew up in Totowa and when I was young my family would go to the original Falls View for dogs and burgers. Great food and great memories - and sadly, long gone. By living in Totowa, Pappy's (on Union Blvd.) was the closest place for "one all-the-way!" - and over time it became my favorite dog. It's still there (though drastically remodeled) run by the same couple who started working in the early 60's and eventually took it over in the 70's. My wife and I made it back to Pappy's last year for the first time in about 15 years, and the dog was tremendous - better than I had even remembered them to be!

Glad to hear you found The Hot Grill. Libby's is great, Hot Grill is great and so is Pappy's - you can't go wrong with any of them.

TnGuy
John Fox
RE: Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs 2007/10/25 15:17:29 (permalink)
I'll have to echo TnGuy. As far as I'm concerned, the 3 best North Jersey Texas Weiners are Pappy's, Libby's, and The Hot Grill. I like Pappy's chili the best. I used to be reluctant to go to Pappy's because the woman who owns it was the only one waiting tables and it took forever to be served and presented with your check. On my last visit I discovered that she hired more help. The wait wasn't so bad.

I've never been to the original Falls View. I only started to go to any of them the last 3 years or so. I've been to the one on rt3 in Clifton, which used to be a Red Chimney and one in Pequannock. I found out that the dogs used at Falls View do not go through the smoking process as the company has requested this. The dogs aren't as flavorful. They also don't spend enough time in the fryer. The Pequannock location is even worse. The dogs are skinless as well and the chili is mediocre. Most people seem to agree that Falls View was better years ago.
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1588
RE: Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs 2007/10/26 19:06:40 (permalink)
<<We live in upstate NY. We drive dowm to Jersey every so often to do some cemetary work, as he promised his mom. We always make it a hot dog run and a meat pie run, as well.>>

DMALFET: I'm curious, where do you find "meat pies" in NJ, and what kind are you talking about? I never thought of New Jersey as a place to go to buy meat pies. There used to be an old store somewhere in North Jersey (I forget where)who sold the kind of "Pasties" they sell in Michigan. Or are you referring to the Carribean style Meat pies?

Another question, for the guys who are experts on Pechters. I hadn't been back to the outlet for several years but got there again just recently. My wife and I used to love thier Corn Muffins. This time they didn't taste nearly as good as we remembered. I noticed that the box was stamped "Rockland Bakery". Maybe that was the difference, does anyone know if Pecter's used to make thier own corn muffins but swtiched to Rockland Bakery at some point? Pecter's is still my favorite Rye bread by far, and that is still just as good as ever.

Sorry none of this is on topic, but I figured it was a good place to ask. --Ken
John Fox
RE: Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs 2007/10/26 19:11:54 (permalink)
Ken,

Don't know about the corn muffins, but I do know that within the last year or so Pechter's was sold to Rockland Bakery. I go occasionally when I want a quality hot dog bun. Last time I saw packages that were labelled Rockland and those that were plain (usual Pechter's buns). The people working there told me that they are one and the same. That is, Pechter's. Tasted the same to me. Again, don't know about the corn muffins.
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs 2007/10/26 21:25:34 (permalink)
Ken,
Have you tried Paramount's German Rye Bread? It's usually available at the Shoprite in Garwood, N.J., at the deli. I like it better than Pechters's.

The Bear
David_NYC
RE: Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs 2007/10/26 21:58:46 (permalink)
Ken,

I'm been patronizing Pechter's outlet in Harrison for about 22 years now and have seen changes over the years. Things started to change after Morton Pechter (who lived not far from me here in NYC) passed away a few years ago. I know that some of the goods sold at the outlet years ago were not baked there. The donuts they sold there years ago came from Acme Cake Company of 374 Johnson Avenue in Brooklyn. There is a possibility that the corn muffins came from there, too. A few blocks from the bread bakery, Pechters had a pita plant and a bagel plant. I have my doubts that these plants are still in operation. You do see Rockland Baking trucks parked in Pechter's parking lot in Harrison these days.

As for the hot dog and hamburger buns sold at both the Pechter and Rockland Bakery outlets, I am getting the feeling that they now come from the H&S Bakery/Northeast Foods group based in Baltimore. Anyone else know more about this topic?

The Rockland Bakery at 94 Demarest Mill Road West in Nanuet, NY (just off NY State Highways 303 and 59) qualifies as some sort of a Roadfood place, with its on-site deli and the bread outlet that is located in a corner of the actual bakery. They make you wear food handler gloves to go back there.

As you walk in there, you see this giantic bagel baking machine. These bagels now make their way down to the Pechters outlet in Harrison.

The speciality baking industry in the New York/New Jersey metropolitan area has seen tremendous consolidation and outright closures over the last 30 years. It is becoming impossible to keep track of who is doing what to whom. These were the source of the really good frankfurter rolls.
ken8038
RE: Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs 2007/10/27 08:21:43 (permalink)
Thanks John and David for the detailed info on Pechter's. Piecing it together my guess is that the Corn Muffins were in fact made by Acme in Brooklyn years ago. Also, I never know Pechter's had a bagel factory, but I do remember years ago the outlet sold giant bags of garlicky bagel chips, they were addictive.

I've been to the Rockland Bakery, it's a unique operation where you go in the back to the baking area and fill up your bag with whatever they have, right off the racks. Only trouble is, IMHO, nothing is quite as good as you can get elsewhere.

Bear, thanks for the tip about Paramount Rye, I'm sure I've tried that from Shoprite Garwood but I'll give it another shot. Just to clarify, Pechter's is my favorite rye when I buy it at the factory outlet. The packaged version is good but not great.

Thanks again guys for the help.
dmalfet
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs 2007/10/30 14:00:27 (permalink)
Hi, Ken:

The meat pies are sort of British or possibly Scottish, I think.
There was a family that made them ,called Taylor, in Paterson ,NJ and they were wonderful..meat was mutton,supposedly. The place burned down or somthing and we never had them again.

We were waxing nostalgic around the dinner table a few months ago and I wound up doing an online search which led me to Stewarts of Kearny and looked at the pictures, which led me to drive down there that weekend!! They are pretty close to what the Taylor family made.I don't think the meat is mutton,it is not "described" and that's fine by me. Probably better I don't know..lol.

They have Cornish Pasties and Sausage Rolls..and cookies..and...well, you get it

Sorry to butt in to this hot dog thread with meat pies..Carry on, dudes!
ken8038
RE: Ex-Joisey Now in South Craves/Needs Dogs 2007/10/30 18:48:37 (permalink)
dmalfet: Thanks for the reply about the meat pies. I did some searching thru my files and came up with the name of the place that makes thier own Scottish Pasties. It's called Rocky's Food Store. I was there about 5 years ago. It's on a residential street in Wharton NJ, which is just off I-80. Address is 43 Robert street. It looks like they are still in business, a google search will turn up several links to the name and location & a map.

---Ken

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1