Experience with Machaca?

Author
santacruz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 372
2009/09/22 15:12:51 (permalink)

Experience with Machaca?

I just got back from a weekend in HOT but laid back Fresno.  During my visit I stopped to eat in an little Roadfood type place called CuCa's for breakfast, the heat had not started and the morning air was cool and clear.

I ordered my breakfast, I had heard of Machaca from different sources, but never tried it.
I asked my sweet waitress if it was available as con Huevos, it was.  When it arrived with handmade corn tortillas and fresh refried beans with homemade HOT salsa, I was transported to Fresno heaven.

The Machaca was browned and spiced just right with green peppers and onions and eggs.

I was wondering what other roadfooders thought about this great Mexican meat dish?

13 Replies Related Threads

NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3140
    Re:Experience with Machaca? 2009/09/22 15:17:34 (permalink)
    You do not see that in our neck of the woods.
    WarToad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1846
    Re:Experience with Machaca? 2009/09/22 15:53:07 (permalink)
    I love beef machaca, but usually only find it when I'm in Baja.  I don't think I've run into it in the US on a menu.  I've only lived in the northern US though.  Mexican up here is as authentic as the chinese is.  Which is to say, not.
    Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 622
    Re:Experience with Machaca? 2009/09/22 16:57:05 (permalink)

My experience with Machaca is the Machaca Burrito at the Burrito King in Los Angeles.  It is one of the stops that I've been making out there since I was about four years old; and my family has been making for many decades.  They serve it in a large flour tortilla and i believe it is half machaca and half refritos.  There are two locations, but we always go to the one on Sunset at the corner of N Alvarado.

Through trial and error, and scouring the internet.... I have found a VERY good recipe.

Big Daves Beef Machaca This is a basic machaca recipe. You can add to it or take away from it. Spice it up a little by adding chili powder or chili paste. Finish with some diced potatoes for Machaca con papas. You could also make a version of this recipe with leftover roasts or fajitas. Skip the marinade step and the searing step. Simply simmer the meat with the other ingredients until it is falling apart then shred it.
    Marinade:
    • ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
    • Juice of two limes
    • 1 tsp garlic powder
    • 1 tsp ground cumin
    • 1 tsp chili powder
    • ½ tsp salt
    • ½ tsp black pepper
    • ½ cup vegetable oil or olive oil
    Machaca:
    • 2-3 lb Chuck Roast or Skirt Steak, trimmed and cut into lb portions.
    • 1 Large Texas Sweet Onion (yellow onion) diced
    • ½ green bell pepper diced
    • 4 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
    • 1 Fresh Jalapeno Pepper, minced
    • 1 14oz can diced tomatoes or tomatoes with green chilies
    • ¼ cup beef broth
    • 1 Tb dried oregano
    • 1 Tb ground cumin
    • 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce such as Tabasco
    • salt and pepper to taste
    • Vegetable oil for searing the beef
    For the marinade, combine all the ingredients in a bowl then whisk them to form an emulsion. Add the beef making sure every piece is evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate. Marinate the beef overnight in a bowl in the refrigerator. Before preparing, drain thoroughly and allow meat to come up to room temperature for about 30 minutes. In a large soup pot, heat a few tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat until very hot. Sear the beef a few pieces at a time to develop a rich brown color on all sides as well as on the bottom of the pan. Do this in several batches if the pot is too crowded. When all the beef is browned nicely and removed from the pan, add the onions, peppers, and garlic to the hot pan. Saut for a few minutes then add the remaining ingredients to the pan along with the beef. Bring to a boil, scraping the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer slowly for about 2 hours. The meat should be very tender and should easily fall apart when pricked with a fork. Remove from heat, remove meat to a cutting board and shred with a pair of forks. Return to the pot and bring to a simmer, uncovered. Reduce the liquid until very thick, almost dry. At this point, adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper, and whatever additional heat you want to add if any. Serve with tortillas, cheese, salsa, lettuce and guacamole for a great beef taco. Portion and freeze the remaining machaca in zip lock bags for later use.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:Experience with Machaca? 2009/09/22 18:07:18 (permalink)
    Ues to get it in burritos for breakfast in Chico Calif!!! LOVED IT!--now you got me craving it----wonder if the taco place in Muskogee could make it up for me---if not-will try Foodasaurus's recipe
    dexmat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    Re:Experience with Machaca? 2009/09/22 19:32:38 (permalink)
    Santacruz - the meanings of names of Mexican dishes can vary in different parts of Mexico.  In my experience machaca around here refers to a dried beef product, typical of Monterrey and Nuevo Leon.  That recipe looks like a stewed beef dish, what would also be called deshebrada around here, also closely associated with Monterrey and NL I think.  What was it in your dish.

WarToad it's very common around here on breakfast menus, machaca con huevos.
    post edited by dexmat - 2009/09/22 19:34:22
    santacruz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 372
    Re:Experience with Machaca? 2009/09/23 10:57:52 (permalink)
    Dexmat,

The meat was pure beef, seemed a little bit dry but infused with delicous spices and not grisley at all.  I was wrong it is not a National dish but a Northern Mexican regional dish.  It also came with really good fried potato slices, I think the peppers were just fresh green peppers, but with the salsa you could make it as hot or not as you desired.
    Captain Howdy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    Re:Experience with Machaca? 2009/10/10 12:08:43 (permalink)
    NYPIzzaNut

You do not see that in our neck of the woods.

Actually, it's served at Pepito's on Wilmington Pike:  http://tinyurl.com/yhpkr7f
    I've not tried it, though.  As I'll likely be dining there this evening, though, I may have to sample it.
    post edited by Captain Howdy - 2009/10/10 12:09:51
    plb
    • Total Posts : 1029
    Re:Experience with Machaca? 2009/10/10 14:36:05 (permalink)
    Now for a question from a complete Gringo: How it different than barbacoa?
    Ahi Mpls.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 922
    Re:Experience with Machaca? 2009/11/10 20:51:20 (permalink)
       Ooooo!!! I think I may know this... My possibly illegal immigrant friend says that machaca is usually started over fire but then gets braised a bit. and Barbacoa spends all it's cookin' time over flames.... sounds DELICIOUS either way.   Peace, Dawn 
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:Experience with Machaca? 2009/11/11 04:31:06 (permalink)
      I have had machaca a lot of times a a lot of different places in Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico. Mostly it is slow stewed meat with some chiles, onions, and garlic. It is used to make chilequillas for breakfast, ie, machaca, corn tortilla strips, chorizo, and scrambled eggs or for burros or tacos for lunch or dinner. It is very versitile and I use it often. I also use carne asada meat when making tacos at home.  Marinated flank steak cooked to medium rare and sliced on the bias. That is closer to barbacoa than machaca.

JMHO

David O.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Experience with Machaca? 2009/11/11 07:14:25 (permalink)
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:Experience with Machaca? 2009/11/11 08:05:46 (permalink)
    I love Machaca and the real stuff can be found in San Diego. I agree with the wiki description as the good stuff is kind of like jerky. I hate it when the eggs are mushy and become part of the meat. Stewed shredded beef and eggs don't mix....Russ
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 983
    Re:Experience with Machaca? 2009/11/13 11:45:57 (permalink)
    plb

Now for a question from a complete Gringo: How it different than barbacoa?

Machacha is made with cuts of beef that Anglos consider normal...barbacoa is made with cow's head.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1