Hot!Extra for lettuce?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ChrisOC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1055
2014/04/11 19:52:57 (permalink)

Extra for lettuce?

I was just at the Point Diner in Somers Point NJ.  They charged me $1.00 for lettuce and tomato on my $5.99 cheeseburger!

54 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18988
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/11 19:56:46 (permalink)
    That was standard when I was growing up in Connecticut. If you for some strange reason you wanted a hamburger with lettuce and tomato you ordered a Deluxe, which cost an additional 25-35 cents. The first time I ever saw lettuce and tomato on a hamburger without ordering it was at a hamburger stand in Amarillo.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5254
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/11 20:43:55 (permalink)
    As I've never had the price of a burger reduced when I ordered it without the plant-based toppings you get no sympathy from me.

But in the nicest possible way, of course.
    post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2014/04/12 08:01:53
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3326
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/11 22:16:24 (permalink)
    Their online menu shows an up charge of $1.00 for lettuce and tomato on sandwiches. However, their burger menu includes lettuce and tomato as part of the burger price with fries included.
    jman
    • Total Posts : 1366
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/11 22:24:24 (permalink)
    chicagostyledog

Their online menu shows an up charge of $1.00 for lettuce and tomato on sandwiches. However, their burger menu includes lettuce and tomato as part of the burger price with fries included.

Details and facts- who needs them?
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/11 23:04:01 (permalink)

All burgers are served on a grilled bun & include French fries.

The Veggie Burger & Ultimate Burger list l-t-o in the description. All the other burgers add l-t-o (package deal) $1 add cheese $.75.

The menu lists cheeseburger @ $6.25.

That's  NJ Diner language. 

post edited by CCinNJ - 2014/04/11 23:40:09
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10426
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/12 05:03:09 (permalink)
    NEVER been charged extra for lettuce & tomato that I can recall.
    Cheese and mushrooms, yes.
    Davidsanders
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 245
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/12 08:16:03 (permalink)
    At B & D Burgers in Savannah I noticed on the menu that if you want relish or sauerkraut on your $7.99 hot dog it's an extra 50¢.
    jman
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/12 08:53:55 (permalink)
    Foodbme

NEVER been charged extra for lettuce & tomato that I can recall.
    Cheese and mushrooms, yes.

Sure you have. It used to be that burgers were sold as either "plain" or "Deluxe". Deluxe, which usually contained lettuce, tomato, and maybe onion, cost more than the "plain". Even today, if you order a Junior Cheeseburger Deluxe from Wendy's, it cost more than just a Junior Cheeseburger, the difference being lettuce, tomato, and onion.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/12 09:16:09 (permalink)
    Indeed!

Many Diners still list Deluxe or call it a California Burger @ a higher price.

@ Waffle House the " original" Angus hamburger...

"Original " hamburger

add lettuce and tomato for $. (fill in the blank depending on location) each "original"
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4356
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/12 09:48:50 (permalink)
    "The real and effectual discipline which is exercised over a workman is that of his customers. It is the fear of losing their employment which restrains his frauds and corrects his negligence".

-- Adam Smith
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2541
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/12 09:57:32 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

That was standard when I was growing up in Connecticut. If you for some strange reason you wanted a hamburger with lettuce and tomato you ordered a Deluxe, which cost an additional 25-35 cents. The first time I ever saw lettuce and tomato on a hamburger without ordering it was at a hamburger stand in Amarillo.

I agree, deluxe was with L/T. I don't think I ever saw an up charge for L/T in a nicer sit down restaurant. In the 25 restaurant I have been involved with over the years, we always included a L/T/O/P as a set-up on the plate. The choice of plain burger or deluxe was mostly at Hamburger stands/ diners/ lunch counters. I know in my business it became more difficult to use tomatoes, the price got sky high. The price of produce use to be reasonable, no so any more. 

ChrisOC
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/12 09:59:58 (permalink)
    chicagostyledog

That is an old menu.  Their current menu (as of last night) lists a cheeseburger at $5.99, Fries, l-t-o extra.
    jman
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/12 11:15:05 (permalink)
    ChrisOC

chicagostyledog

That is an old menu.  Their current menu (as of last night) lists a cheeseburger at $5.99, Fries, l-t-o extra.

Your header of this thread was dishonest.The up-charge was for lettuce, tomato, and onion. Your header says lettuce.

What's wrong with a restaurant pricing their burger sans lettuce, tomato, and onion? If the menu clearly states that there is an upcharge for l,t,o, what's the big deal?  Some people don't want lettuce, tomato, and/or onion on their burger. This restaurant gives that person the ability to order it that way without paying for the items they don't want. More restaurants should do the same.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3667
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/12 12:41:38 (permalink)
    I honestly can't remember when lettuce and tomato started being included on burgers, but it was always an upcharge when I was a kid. As MH said, if you wanted them, you ordered a Deluxe, which was an additional charge.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6200
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/12 12:50:17 (permalink)
    If it costs me money to prepare it, it's going to cost the customer to buy it. Margins in this business are too thin to just add extra items gratis.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5254
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/12 13:17:00 (permalink)
    jman

Your header of this thread was dishonest.The up-charge was for lettuce, tomato, and onion. Your header says lettuce.
    If there are separate charges for lettuce and tomato the header is factually correct (and Chris' later post about the current menu indicates this is likely true) although incomplete in regards to the referenced burger.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/12 16:11:12 (permalink)
    chewingthefat
    If it costs me money to prepare it, it's going to cost the customer to buy it. Margins in this business are too thin to just add extra items gratis.

And that's fine. Customers understand you need to cover your costs and make a profit to stay in business.
    Just include all your cost contingencies in the ONE PRICE of your product.
    Some people want L-T-O on their burger, some don't.
    Price your product taking that into account. It all averages out.
    I hate it when someone tells me I gotta pay "EXTRA" for something.
    What if every restaurant broke down their costs and priced their product accordingly?
    Want a bun? That's 50 cents. Salt & pepper? Sure, 25 cents. Like the A/C? Gonna cost you a Buck.
    Ridiculous? Yes, but you're doing the same thing when you tell me I gotta pay "EXTRA" for something. like L-T-O.
    Figure out all your cost contingencies and price your product accordingly with ONE PRICE.
    Some people want L-T-O., some don't. It averages out.
    Repeating myself? Yes, to emphasize my point.
    When we go out to eat, we want a simple, enjoyable experience.
    W don't want to go through the hassle of making multiple decisions about "Are we gonna pay "EXTRA" for our food or not". 
    Just give me good food at one reasonable price that allows the restaurant to make a profit with good service so I want to come back often and I'm a happy Customer.
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1804
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/12 16:15:05 (permalink)
    Foodbme

chewingthefat

And that's fine. Customers understand you need to cover your costs and make a profit to stay in business.
    What if every restaurant broke down their costs and priced their product accordingly?
    Want a bun? That's 50 cents. Salt & pepper? Sure, 25 cents. Like the A/C? Gonna cost you a Buck.
    Ridiculous? Yes, but you're doing the same thing when you tell me I gotta pay "EXTRA" for something. like L-T-O.
    Figure out all your cost contingencies and price your product accordingly with ONE PRICE.
    W don't want to go through the hassle of making multiple decisions about "Are we gonna pay "EXTRA" for our food or not". 
    Just give me good food at one reasonable price that allows the restaurant to make a profit with good service so I want to come back often and I'm a happy Customer.

You want Fries with that?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/12 16:37:49 (permalink)
    FriedClamFanatic

Foodbme

chewingthefat

You want Fries with that?

Not if you tell me they're gonna cost "EXTRA".
    But if you include them in a "COMBO" price and tell me what's included and list it as a separate entry on your menu, then I have a reasonable choice don't I?
    In this example, fries are a separate food item not part of the burger itself.
    The fast food chains have figured out how to price their products correctly even though their products may suck.
    Just follow their pricing strategy.
    I've never seen a "You gotta pay extra if you want L-T-O" item on their menus.
    They tell you what's included on you item and if you don't want some of it they'll leave it off but the price remains the same.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3757
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/12 16:40:09 (permalink)
    I think it very fair to charge for ANY extras. Why should I pay two bucks more for pancakes if I don't even care if I get real maple syrup?  Why should I pay for lettuce, tomato, and onion on my cheeseburger if I don't want it?  Let those that want the extras pay the extra price!

With the cost of tomatoes, I don't see how anyone is able not to charge.  For years, I have paid extra for blue cheese dressing, and I understand it.  If a restaurant makes all their dressing, blue cheese dressing cost more to make.
    If you prepare the same foods at home, it costs more for the additional things  so why should it be "free" in a restaurant?
    ChrisOC
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/12 17:23:29 (permalink)
    I think it is ludicrous when I have a $30 steak dinner and have to pay extra for blue cheese dressing on my salad.  Should I pay extra for cream and sugar in my coffee?
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6200
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/12 17:27:49 (permalink)
    As long as what is included in your order is plainly spelled out in the menu, there should never be a problem, I include LTM, O, Hots, FF, or Cole Slaw or Potato Salad, with a Cheeseburger, for one stated price. Very few get Cheeseburgers plain, if someone wants xtra onions, no biggie, it's a non factor costwise.
    post edited by chewingthefat - 2014/04/12 17:30:58
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/12 19:55:16 (permalink)
    ChrisOC

I think it is ludicrous when I have a $30 steak dinner and have to pay extra for blue cheese dressing on my salad.  Should I pay extra for cream and sugar in my coffee?

By your logic, if you're buying a $30,000 car, it is ridiculous to have to pay extra for heated seats in it.

Extra things that are not included in the stated price cost extra. I don't understand why it's such a huge deal.
    jman
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/12 20:22:46 (permalink)
    Some of you act like you've never eaten at a restaurant that differentiates between a plain burger and a dressed burger.  Surely, you're not really that clueless.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/12 20:52:19 (permalink)
    It's very common for many individual components of a menu to have a price attached to it @ NJ Diners. That's why the menus can be as large as a dictionary.

Good NJ Diners are busy Diners & often open 24/7. You can walk in day or night & fashion whatever crazy combination of things you wish to have.

One egg...a side of cole slaw...plain hamburger on an English muffin...cup of French onion soup & rice pudding. You want if...you got it!

With plain options...substitution options and/or a price on any/every individual option (outside the traditional structure of a meal) ..servers know what to charge when they're hustling around the joint @ 3am feeding crazy folks with that kinda order.

It's worked like that very well for a long time & if you don't like it....they'll tell you...well...ok...whatever. If that's your biggest problem today...you're doing pretty well.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2014/04/12 21:09:59
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/12 23:38:22 (permalink)
    Greymo
    I think it very fair to charge for ANY extras. Why should I pay two bucks more for pancakes if I don't even care if I get real maple syrup?  Why should I pay for lettuce, tomato, and onion on my cheeseburger if I don't want it?  Let those that want the extras pay the extra price!

With the cost of tomatoes, I don't see how anyone is able not to charge.  For years, I have paid extra for blue cheese dressing, and I understand it.  If a restaurant makes all their dressing, blue cheese dressing cost more to make.
    If you prepare the same foods at home, it costs more for the additional things  so why should it be "free" in a restaurant?

No one's saying you should get anything "Free".
    It's a question of how restaurants construct their menus and the wording they choose.
    The hang-up word is "EXTRA". "Extra" is a negative, turn-off word.
    Anytime you tell me you're going to charge me "Extra" for something, my blood pressure goes up!
    Many business people don't realize the importance of using non-invasive, negative wording when marketing their businesses.
    Using Positive Wording and eliminating Negative Wording to promote a business is so, so important. 
    In your example of a Hamburger, let's consider creating the menu this way:
    Greymo's Fantastic Hamburger - $3.99
    Greymo's Fantastic DELUXE Hamburger (Includes Lettuce, Tomato and Onion) - $4.99
    Doesn't that sound better than:
    Greymo's Fantastic Hamburger - $3.99 - Lettuce, Tomato and Onion $1.00 EXTRA??????????????????????
    How about:
    Greymo's House Salad ( Includes your choice of French, Italian or Ranch Dressing) $2.99
    Greymo's House Salad With His Soon to be WORLD FAMOUS Personally Made In-House FRESH Blue Cheese Dressing - $3.99
    Doesn't that create a whole different perception than - "Blue Cheese Dressing $1.00 EXTRA"?
    (I charge clients Hundreds of Dollars for this kind of Marketing Experience!) 
    PERCEPTION IS EVERYTHING!
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/12 23:50:19 (permalink)
    I see what you're getting at, but it all amounts to the exact same thing. What some folks in this thread have a problem with is having to pay extra for extra items, not how it's worded. I'm guessing they also complain when a sandwich comes with potato chips, but for an additional charge you can have fries instead.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/12 23:55:36 (permalink)
    felix4067
    quote=ChrisOC]

By your logic, if you're buying a $30,000 car, it is ridiculous to have to pay extra for heated seats in it.
    Extra things that are not included in the stated price cost extra. I don't understand why it's such a huge deal.

FELIX,
    Buying a car is different than buying a Hamburger but the basic marketing strategies apply to both.
    When buying a car everything is priced and marketed in such a way that if you're paying attention, you'll know what's standard and what's OPTIONAL.
    You'll NEVER see the word "EXTRA" used in any car company sales material - NEVER. 
    An inexperienced salesperson may use that word in earnest to make a sale but a Sales Pro will never say, "That's Extra".
    "Mr. Felix, if you would like the heated seats option included in our quote to you we'll be glad to do that for you."
    "Will you be driving your new car home today or would you like me to deliver it to you tomorrow?"  
    PERCEPTION IS EVERYTHING!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Extra for lettuce? 2014/04/13 00:25:16 (permalink)
    felix4067
    I see what you're getting at, but it all amounts to the exact same thing. What some folks in this thread have a problem with is having to pay extra for extra items, not how it's worded. I'm guessing they also complain when a sandwich comes with potato chips, but for an additional charge you can have fries instead.

YES!!! it does amount to the exact same thing but how you present the options to the buyer DOES DEPEND ON HOW IT'S WORDED AND PERCIEVED BY THE CUSTOMER!
    Again:
    Fresh Tuna Sandwich served with Potato Chips - $2.99
    Fresh Tuna Sandwich Served with Delicious Fresh-Cut French Fries Cooked in Pure Peanut Oil - $3.99
    Which one do you think most customers would order?
    You're selling the Sizzle, not the Steak!
    It's been proven that a properly developed and WORDED menu could be the difference in increasing your average ticket sale as much as 50%.
    The importance of your menu design and wording cannot be overemphasized.
    There are HUNDREDS of companies out there that make a living designing menus for restaurants.
    Just Google "Menu Creation Companies" 
    If you're a restaurant owner and don't use a professional menu design company, you're leaving money in the customers pockets, not yours.
    A well constructed menu featuring your higher profit items presented in such a way to compel the customer to order that item will add DIRECTLY to your bottom line.
    You can find one that fit's in your budget.
    It's as important as the quality of your food, pricing and service.
    It's an integral part of your Brand; how your customers perceive you and your business.
    Ever gone into a restaurant and been handed a sheet of paper with the menu on it and 6 words are misspelled?
    What's your perception of that restaurant?
    I rest my case!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2014/04/13 00:27:28
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1